1997 Lincoln Town Car: engine surges

Old October 29th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lincoln,alt.autos.ford
The Derfer

Default 1997 Lincoln Town Car: engine surges

I've got a 1997 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier Series.
I notice that when idling in the Drive Gear, the car sometimes
surges ahead, occasionally with force a bit stronger than
the force with which I've got the brakes holding it back.
And sometimes, the engine dips really low, almost to the
point where it seems like it's going to stall, which
thankfully it doesn't.

One other pattern: the car only does this when I've got
the heater or A/C on.

What could this be and how might I repair it? I took it to
Midas and they adjusted the idle, which helped but didn't
ultimately solve the problem.
TIA.

-The Derfer
Old October 29th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lincoln,alt.autos.ford
Backyard Mechanic

The Derfer > wrote:

> I've got a 1997 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier Series.
> I notice that when idling in the Drive Gear, the car sometimes
> surges ahead, occasionally with force a bit stronger than
> the force with which I've got the brakes holding it back.
> And sometimes, the engine dips really low, almost to the
> point where it seems like it's going to stall, which
> thankfully it doesn't.
>
> One other pattern: the car only does this when I've got
> the heater or A/C on.
>
> What could this be and how might I repair it? I took it to
> Midas and they adjusted the idle, which helped but didn't
> ultimately solve the problem.
> TIA.

There IS no adjustment to the Idle Air control. What they PROBABLY did
is either adjust the throttle stop screw... a NO-NO.. or spray some
intake cleaner in the IAC.

NEVER LET THOSE MONKEYS under your hood.

If you have some metric wrenches, you can go to NAPA, get the part and
replace it yourself. I dont recommend cleaning it. Effect wont last
long.

While you are at it, you might google on how to clean your Mass Air Flow
sensor. Needs done periodically, never mind what Ford says.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old October 30th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.lincoln,alt.autos.ford
Sharon Cooke

The Derfer wrote:

> I've got a 1997 Lincoln Town Car, Cartier Series.
> I notice that when idling in the Drive Gear, the car sometimes
> surges ahead, occasionally with force a bit stronger than
> the force with which I've got the brakes holding it back.
> And sometimes, the engine dips really low, almost to the
> point where it seems like it's going to stall, which
> thankfully it doesn't.
>
> One other pattern: the car only does this when I've got
> the heater or A/C on.
>
> What could this be and how might I repair it? I took it to
> Midas and they adjusted the idle, which helped but didn't
> ultimately solve the problem.
> TIA.
>
> -The Derfer

Clean or replace IAC valve. Take it to someplace like AutoZone where
they'll pull the engine trouble codes, for free (except Caifornia).