Brake Job...?

Old March 13th 11, 07:52 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Brake Job...?

"Paul in Houston TX" > wrote in message > The rotors on my
vehicles have always went 150-200k miles without
> needing any work or replacement. I just keep replacing pads.
> I drive Houston traffic every day.
> Will see on the Kia. Things are lighter and made of poor quality
> materials nowadays and the Kia has a bit of brake pulsation at
> 61k miles.

A few times I have seen calipers get sticky after a few pad changes, and
suddenly you have uneven and excessive wear. I have so few brake
problems nowadays that it is not a big issue, but if I were particularly
hard on brake pads, I would service the caliper every 2-3 pad changes.

Old March 14th 11, 12:04 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:19:44 -0500, Ray O wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>I put some new lower control arms on my Mazda a couple weeks ago, and a
>> cursory check revealed my front pads were getting pretty low. So I
>> ordered up a pile of parts, and today was just warm enough to get the
>> fronts done.
>>
>> Now, I got this car (1989 Mazda 626) back in December of 2006, and
>> looked at the brakes in April 2007. I replaced the pads back then, but
>> the rotors looked in pretty good shape, so I did the pads and did some
>> PM on the calipers. That was ~47,000 miles ago. So, the pads were pretty
>> much gone. Again I took it apart, got the new pads out, did some PM on
>> the calipers and...the freakin rotors had hardly worn down 1mm! I don't
>> know what they were or when they were put on the car, but I pulled them
>> and replaced them only because I got the new rotors mail order and it's
>> too much of a hassle to return them. The one good thing was they looked
>> just like the ones I removed.
>>
>> I'm guessing the organic pads I used help attribute to the low wear on
>> the rotors. Since the car is a spit shy of 200,000 miles I am assuming
>> this will probably be it's last brake job. Maybe...
>>

> It is not unusual to see less than 1 mm of rotor wear for a set of pads,
> and I would probably be looking for different brake pads or rotors if the
> rotors were wearing that quickly.

When I was having "George" do my brakes I was always replacing pands AND
rotors. They used to show me the rotors. Semi-metallic pads? THey would
sure grind them down!

Old March 14th 11, 04:29 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_3_]

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 13:19:44 -0500, Ray O wrote:
>

>> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
>>>I put some new lower control arms on my Mazda a couple weeks ago, and a
>>> cursory check revealed my front pads were getting pretty low. So I
>>> ordered up a pile of parts, and today was just warm enough to get the
>>> fronts done.
>>>
>>> Now, I got this car (1989 Mazda 626) back in December of 2006, and
>>> looked at the brakes in April 2007. I replaced the pads back then, but
>>> the rotors looked in pretty good shape, so I did the pads and did some
>>> PM on the calipers. That was ~47,000 miles ago. So, the pads were pretty
>>> much gone. Again I took it apart, got the new pads out, did some PM on
>>> the calipers and...the freakin rotors had hardly worn down 1mm! I don't
>>> know what they were or when they were put on the car, but I pulled them
>>> and replaced them only because I got the new rotors mail order and it's
>>> too much of a hassle to return them. The one good thing was they looked
>>> just like the ones I removed.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing the organic pads I used help attribute to the low wear on
>>> the rotors. Since the car is a spit shy of 200,000 miles I am assuming
>>> this will probably be it's last brake job. Maybe...
>>>

>> It is not unusual to see less than 1 mm of rotor wear for a set of pads,
>> and I would probably be looking for different brake pads or rotors if the
>> rotors were wearing that quickly.

> When I was having "George" do my brakes I was always replacing pands AND
> rotors. They used to show me the rotors. Semi-metallic pads? THey would
> sure grind them down!

They must not have been servicing the sliders when the replaced the pads.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old March 14th 11, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer

On 3/13/11 11:29 PM, in article ,
"Ray O" > wrote:

> "Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message

>>> It is not unusual to see less than 1 mm of rotor wear for a set of pads,
>>> and I would probably be looking for different brake pads or rotors if the
>>> rotors were wearing that quickly.

>> When I was having "George" do my brakes I was always replacing pands AND
>> rotors. They used to show me the rotors. Semi-metallic pads? THey would
>> sure grind them down!
>>

> They must not have been servicing the sliders when the replaced the pads.

I've never encountered a sticky slider with under 95K miles on it & have not
had to turn a rotor ever, counting from my first car with disk brakes ('77
Chevy). I suppose it can't hurt to do all these services, but my personal
experiences say its not necessary.

Old March 18th 11, 04:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Ray O[_3_]

"E. Meyer" > wrote in message
> On 3/13/11 11:29 PM, in article ,
> "Ray O" > wrote:

>>> When I was having "George" do my brakes I was always replacing pands AND
>>> rotors. They used to show me the rotors. Semi-metallic pads? THey would
>>> sure grind them down!
>>>

>> They must not have been servicing the sliders when the replaced the pads.

> I've never encountered a sticky slider with under 95K miles on it & have
> not
> had to turn a rotor ever, counting from my first car with disk brakes ('77
> Chevy). I suppose it can't hurt to do all these services, but my personal
> experiences say its not necessary.

Part of a proper brake job is cleaning and re-lubing the sliders and IMO,
servicing the sliders is well worth the 5 minute investment in time.