1999 Honda Civic, front suspension disassembly

Old March 11th 11, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas

Default 1999 Honda Civic, front suspension disassembly

"Tegger" <>

>> "Tegger"
>>> Some pics here, complete with a mistake by me.
>>> You get to guess what the
>>> mistake was.
>>> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_front_bushings/>
>>>

>> Cotter pin?
>>

> Failure to put the nut back on before applying
> pressure to the stud.
>
> The stud collapsed, requiring me to file the
> threads down before the nut
> would fit back on the stud again.
>

> --
> Tegger

heh heh, that's _never_ happened before, eih? ;>)}

Old March 11th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tegger[_3_]

"Phil Kangas" > wrote in news:ilbskl$m6f$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> "Tegger" wrote:
>>
>> Failure to put the nut back on before applying
>> pressure to the stud.
>>
>> The stud collapsed, requiring me to file the
>> threads down before the nut
>> would fit back on the stud again.
>>

> heh heh, that's _never_ happened before, eih? ;>)}

Won't ever happen again, I can tell you that.

--
Tegger
Old March 11th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_6_]

Tegger wrote:
> Rex > wrote in
> :
>

>> I think you will find that Honda front suspension dis assembly to be a
>> straightforward mechanical process.
>> I bet you can look at it for 5 minutes and have it down.
>>
>> Remove the brake caliper mount w/caliper, disconnect hose.

> No need to do this just for the lower control arm.
>
> If the damper is being replaced as well, just remove the 14mm bolt and move
> the hose aside. No need to open the hydraulics.
>

>> Remove outer tie rod end from steering knuckle (back the nut off,
>> smack the side of the joint smartly with a hammer)

> No need to do this just for the lower control arm.
>
> Tie rod end is best disconnected using the correct tool.
> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/disconnect.html>
>

>> Remove the strut nuts at top, under hood.
>> Remove strut bolts at the knuckle.

> No need to do this just for the lower control arm.
>
> It's a damper, not a "strut". And you need to undo the bolt that joins the
> damper fork to the lower control arm. The steering knuckle is not connected
> to the damper. Honda did not use struts on the Civic until 2001.
>
> Some pics here, complete with a mistake by me. You get to guess what the
> mistake was.
> <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/new_front_bushings/>

Only thing I saw was you pressing out the stud without support on the
threads, Not a problem if you're installing new ones but if you want to
re-use them it could cause problems.

Oh and you didn't clean the parts, paint them and pimp them to fit in
with the tuner crowd... I mean GEE where is the hot NEON glow paint....

--
Steve W.
Old March 11th 11, 12:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tegger[_3_]

"Steve W." > wrote in
:

> Only thing I saw was you pressing out the stud without support on the
> threads,

That was it. Pretty dumb, in retrospect.

> Not a problem if you're installing new ones but if you want
> to re-use them it could cause problems.

It did. It collapsed the threads, as one of the other pictures show. I
won't be doing that again, of course.

> Oh and you didn't clean the parts, paint them and pimp them to fit in
> with the tuner crowd... I mean GEE where is the hot NEON glow
> paint....

I used that to paint my siding. The neighbors hate it.

--
Tegger
Old March 11th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins

On Mar 11, 7:09*am, Tegger > wrote:
> ...>
> Tegger

Nice site you have there. I replaced my timing belt in December and
sympathize with the pain you describe:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html

I milled a 50mm hex on a slug of old hydraulic cylinder piston rod and
welded it to a pipe handle. After I pretty up the freezing-weather
weld I'll post pix.

jsw
Old March 11th 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_6_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Steve W." > wrote in
> :
>

>> Only thing I saw was you pressing out the stud without support on the
>> threads,

> That was it. Pretty dumb, in retrospect.

It happens to the best of us. I've had more than a few of those OOPS
moments.

>> Not a problem if you're installing new ones but if you want
>> to re-use them it could cause problems.

> It did. It collapsed the threads, as one of the other pictures show. I
> won't be doing that again, of course.

Can I keep this to show you the next time.....

>> Oh and you didn't clean the parts, paint them and pimp them to fit in
>> with the tuner crowd... I mean GEE where is the hot NEON glow
>> paint....
>>

> I used that to paint my siding. The neighbors hate it.

Don't blame them. We had a ricer drop off parts for powder coat and
actually had each pair of parts tagged for different colors.
Made me wretch just thinking about the way it would look. I can
understand it if they were using a camera to watch for suspension travel
issues. Then the different colors would help you see what was going on.

--
Steve W.