Water Cracking Discovery Alt Energy Future Bright

Old March 6th 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Water Cracking Discovery Alt Energy Future Bright

"Existential Angst" > wrote in message
> "hls" > wrote in message
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:7b2d1331-
>> I saw on TV a story about containing H2 in tanks at low pressures
>> using processed chicken feathers. Let's say this makes storing the
>> gas in our cars practical. What would you do with it then?
>>
>> *******
>> When we use hydrogen in the lab, we buy it in cylinders which contain
>> roughly 200 SCF of the gas. It is of course under high pressure but
>> can be safely handled under these conditions. There are other ways to
>> store it at lower pressures.
>>
>> While hydrogen is a small molecule and can penetrate some materials,
>> it can be dealt with relatively safely. There can be some problems with
>> keeping it in steel, stainless steel, or titanium but there are other
>> common
>> metals which will handle it quite well.
>>
>> One interesting thing...at elevated temperature, hydrogen can pass
>> through platinum metal almost like water through a filter. I have
>> always
>> wondered if this might be a fairly cheap way to separate hydrogen from
>> the air (yes, there is some hydrogen in the atmosphere) or from other
>> gases containing enriched concentrations of hydrogen. Maybe someday.

> Interesting academically perhaps, but likely industrially useless.
> Calculate the molar concentration of H in water vs. H2 in air -- a ratio
> of like a few trillion to one???
> With how much platinum??
>
> Sounds like a project for a grad student who needs to get published or
> sumpn....
> --
> EA

The richer in molecular hydrogen the feedstock, the more interesting
the process. Neither the atmosphere nor water has a lot of molecular
hydrogen available. In the same sense, there is not a lot of helium
running around in significant concentrations but there ARE gas wells
that contain high enough concentrations to yield commercial quantities.

I have mentioned before that buses in the Frankfurt airport in Germany
were running on hydrogen. Dont know whether that project has
terminated or is still ongoing. Those buses seemed to work quite
well.

There are still two problems with hydrogen and they are availability and
convenience of storage. Otherwise, it works in fuel cells or in IC type
engines.

Old March 6th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Existential Angst[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in message

> "Existential Angst" > wrote in message
>> "hls" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "dsi1" > wrote in message news:7b2d1331-
>>> I saw on TV a story about containing H2 in tanks at low pressures
>>> using processed chicken feathers. Let's say this makes storing the
>>> gas in our cars practical. What would you do with it then?
>>>
>>> *******
>>> When we use hydrogen in the lab, we buy it in cylinders which contain
>>> roughly 200 SCF of the gas. It is of course under high pressure but
>>> can be safely handled under these conditions. There are other ways to
>>> store it at lower pressures.
>>>
>>> While hydrogen is a small molecule and can penetrate some materials,
>>> it can be dealt with relatively safely. There can be some problems with
>>> keeping it in steel, stainless steel, or titanium but there are other
>>> common
>>> metals which will handle it quite well.
>>>
>>> One interesting thing...at elevated temperature, hydrogen can pass
>>> through platinum metal almost like water through a filter. I have
>>> always
>>> wondered if this might be a fairly cheap way to separate hydrogen from
>>> the air (yes, there is some hydrogen in the atmosphere) or from other
>>> gases containing enriched concentrations of hydrogen. Maybe someday.

>> Interesting academically perhaps, but likely industrially useless.
>> Calculate the molar concentration of H in water vs. H2 in air -- a ratio
>> of like a few trillion to one???
>> With how much platinum??
>>
>> Sounds like a project for a grad student who needs to get published or
>> sumpn....
>> --
>> EA

> The richer in molecular hydrogen the feedstock, the more interesting
> the process. Neither the atmosphere nor water has a lot of molecular
> hydrogen available. In the same sense, there is not a lot of helium
> running around in significant concentrations but there ARE gas wells
> that contain high enough concentrations to yield commercial quantities.
>
> I have mentioned before that buses in the Frankfurt airport in Germany
> were running on hydrogen. Dont know whether that project has
> terminated or is still ongoing. Those buses seemed to work quite
> well.
>
> There are still two problems with hydrogen and they are availability and
> convenience of storage. Otherwise, it works in fuel cells or in IC type
> engines.

All of which is a nice newsclip review of the periodic table, but has
nothing to do with your "wondering" if removing hydrogen from the air would
be cheap, or productive.
Did you calculate the relative molar concentrations of H or H2 in water vs
air? I'm sure it is at least a trillion to one.
--
EA