iRacing mentioned on BBC news!

Old September 27th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

Default iRacing mentioned on BBC news!

>> I may, however, be *wildly* underestimating the untapped potential among the
>> pickup-truck racing community. But as I hover over the re-subscribe button this
>> weekend after a month away, it is decisions like this by iRacing which increasingly
>> make me wonder how long they'll be around.

> Trucks are huge in the US (no I don't mean physically!)
>
> Having vehicles like this is essential to its success and what a big chunk of the membership have been waiting for.

I'm not sure there's much of a correlation betweens fans of Nascar, much less
Nascar trucks, and sim oriented racing game players, especially if significant
skills are involved.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons that NR2003's restrictor plate track open
servers were so popular, is that just about anyone can win, regardless of huge
disparities in skill level, because of the assists and draft effects. Basically
it worked because it took the "sim" out of sim racing. iRacing isn't doing this
(at least not yet), so it will be a different player base.

Personally I would like to see LM, LMP, and GT type cars in the game, one because
they look nice, and two because unlike F1, passing is still possible.

The issue with F1 cars is that the high amount of aerodyanmics makes passing
difficult. The cars brake extremely quickly so it's hard to pass under braking.
The cars reach their drag limited top speed very quickly, so a higher speed on
corner exit doesn't translate into a passing opportunity unless it's very soon
after the corner exit.

Old September 27th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin[_2_]

"Don Schwartz Jr" > wrote in message
> Adding the trucks will bring in more drivers than any Road course car
> could. Truck racing is some of the best oval track racing around, As far
> as snails and F1 the snail race would probaly be more interesting than
> most of the F1 races I watch which usaully put me to sleep.
> Don

I got the same way for a few years concerning F1, but the last two years has
been a lot better. This year's finishes have made it even more interesting
for me and I always TIVO qualifying and the race. There are actually 4 teams
that have a chance to win on any given raceday if the stars align
correctly.......:-)

Ed

Old September 30th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Adamo Contadino

"Don Schwartz Jr" > wrote in
:

> Adding the trucks will bring in more drivers than any Road course car
> could. Truck racing is some of the best oval track racing around, As
> far as snails and F1 the snail race would probaly be more interesting
> than most of the F1 races I watch which usaully put me to sleep.
> Don

There is nothing sexy or exciting about a car made to look like a pickup
driving around in circles. You are thinking far too American-centric.
Old September 30th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> in this comment (about Nascar) on it's first televised race:
>
> "but the big story was the post-race fight on the track's infield between
> Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison, who crashed together on the final lap."
>
> From Wiki:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASCAR_...sion_and_radio

Considering the leaders of the race collided with each other about half
a dozen times or so on the final lap, eventually taking each other out, had
this been iRacing, what would this have done to their SR?

Also if Nascar like realism is an aspect of the game, then where are the
post race fights? I recall that EA's Need For Speed version of "Nascar
Underground" might include post race fights, but now in mixed martial arts
style (there will be an infield cage). Of this was only supposed to happen
when iRacing's business model fails and EA buys the rights to iRacing.

Old October 1st 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

> Considering the leaders of the race collided with each other about half
> a dozen times or so on the final lap, eventually taking each other out, had
> this been iRacing, what would this have done to their SR?

It wouldn't have had a huge impact, provided they ran the rest of the
race cleanly. Infact, if they were otherwise clean, they might even
gain safety rating. Some races are longer than others and in the
higher license levels it may sometimes be easier to lose SR but (as
many people forget) it's also easier to gain it if you're clean.
Old October 3rd 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Really. Funny how the F150 and Silverado are the #1 selling vehicles in the
USA. Well, actually that is being challanged lately but for the last 30
years plus that's the way it's been.

-Larry

Old October 3rd 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Tim,

I'm not so sure about the "Easier to Gain" part

Yes, it's easy to loose. In Class C, you can lose a full 1/2 point quite
easily. Possibly more. But a totally clean, 60 lap race will only net you
a .13 gain back in return.

Been there, done that. A few times

-Larry

Old October 3rd 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Oct 3, 7:45*am, "Larry" > wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I'm not so sure about the "Easier to Gain" part
>
> Yes, it's easy to loose. *In Class C, you can lose a full 1/2 point quite
> easily. *Possibly more. *But a totally clean, 60 lap race will only net you
> a .13 gain back in return.
>
> Been there, done that. *A few times
>
> -Larry
>
> "Tim Wheatley" > wrote in message

> >> Considering the leaders of the race collided with each other about half
> >> a dozen times or so on the final lap, eventually taking each other out,
> >> had
> >> this been iRacing, what would this have done to their SR?

> > It wouldn't have had a huge impact, provided they ran the rest of the
> > race cleanly. Infact, if they were otherwise clean, they might even
> > gain safety rating. Some races are longer than others and in the
> > higher license levels it may sometimes be easier to lose SR but (as
> > many people forget) it's also easier to gain it if you're cle

The exact same sum that takes away, adds. If you're clean for all
sessions, joining a Class C race is the most beneficial session
currently available.

Day 28 in the Big iRacing house <-- warning, long and about iRacing Andrew MacPherson Simulators 29 October 1st 08 08:54 AM
Hey Max here's that picture I mentioned at lunch Peter C Auto Photos 44 February 9th 07 07:56 PM
iracing news Chad Rogers Simulators 36 December 14th 05 06:16 PM
I hate I-95. Have I mentioned that lately? Paul. Driving 2 November 7th 05 06:50 PM
Don't think I mentioned yet, but I got new tires... Cory Dunkle Driving 8 January 12th 05 05:42 PM