91 Miata w Squeaking with wheel movement

Old December 3rd 05, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 91 Miata w Squeaking with wheel movement

Greetings All.

Just bought a '91 red MX-5. 174K on the body + 54K++ on a JDM engine put in
4 years ago. It's my first Miata and I've only driven it about 30 miles
since I bought it. I got the plates and inspections and legal stuff done
today.
$$$.
While driving up to the ATM (which was on the drivers' side) today a
squeaking sound was heard. It cycled faster and it could be heard it up to
jogging speed, then the (engine / tire / 7-year-old next to me) noises
drowned it out.

I am deaf in my left ear, so I had never heard it until the sound was
reflected off of the kiosk.

I don't hear it when backing up. Is a dragging brake pad carrier a
possiblity?

Any suggestions?

I'm still in the feeling out stge with this vehicle. Thanks for any leads
on the causes!

Brock
'91 Miata 'Mighty Mouse'
Bellbrook Ohio USA

Old December 4th 05, 11:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Brock V. wrote:

> Greetings All.
>
> Just bought a '91 red MX-5. 174K on the body + 54K++ on a JDM engine put in
> 4 years ago. It's my first Miata and I've only driven it about 30 miles
> since I bought it. I got the plates and inspections and legal stuff done
> today.
> $$$.
> While driving up to the ATM (which was on the drivers' side) today a
> squeaking sound was heard. It cycled faster and it could be heard it up to
> jogging speed, then the (engine / tire / 7-year-old next to me) noises
> drowned it out.
>
> I am deaf in my left ear, so I had never heard it until the sound was
> reflected off of the kiosk.
>
> I don't hear it when backing up. Is a dragging brake pad carrier a
> possiblity?
>
> Any suggestions?

Does it come and go when cornering? If so, it's possibly a wheel
bearing. Hard to confirm without replacing it (at this stage), as they
can make noise well before any real play is detectable.
Old December 4th 05, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Brake pads?
. ..

134a Refrigerant Rich Hampel Jeep 1090 August 23rd 05 06:43 AM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
Corvette vs Miata - long Tom Howlin Mazda 23 February 28th 05 11:28 PM
WTB: Replacement BBS 14" alloy wheel for 1991 Special Edition BRG Miata. Erich Hespenheide Mazda 1 December 4th 04 11:54 PM
WTB: Replacement BBS 14" alloy wheel for 1991 Special Edition BRG Miata. Erich Hespenheide Mazda 1 October 19th 04 01:29 PM