Taillight hack..?

Old November 26th 05, 01:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Taillight hack..?

I wonder if anyone has yet done a DIY hack to their dull stock taillights?

-- peer

Old November 26th 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I've done many lenses, it's easy and they look perfect. I got the idea after
doing the 'shaved lenses' trick on my miata. If you can do that you can
refinish lenses. It's basically a sanding process, I usually start with 180
grit and progress thru (I use all wet papers) 800 or 1000. Then finish them
off with plastic cleaner and plastic polish (I use Meguiars but there are
others). You can even wax them for a final touch and again for a touch up
occasionally when you wax your car.

Good luck,
Chris
99BBB w/recently polished headlight lenses!

Old November 26th 05, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> I've done many lenses, it's easy and they look perfect.
>
> "Peer Landa" > wrote in message
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has yet done a DIY hack to their dull stock taillights?

I suspect by "dull" Peer meant "uninteresting," not "unshiny." I could
be wrong.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 27th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny wrote:
> I suspect by "dull" Peer meant "uninteresting,"
> not "unshiny." I could be wrong.

That's correct. I'm trying to figure out if I could somehow make a
different design of the stock taillights. Although I sort of like the
Simpson lights,
http://www.simpsondesign.net/accesso...uro_lites1.jpg but at $400
it's definitely a no-go for me. Hence, I'm curious if anyone has done a
"do-it-yourself" hack of their stock lights.

-- peer

Old November 27th 05, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wow I missed that one, eh?

I don't like the looks of the taillights in his link at all (not that he
cares). But what I want to put the smoked taillight lense covers to sort of
hide the red lenses. Maybe that would be along the lines of what he's
meaning by 'dull the taillights'. not sure. Seems he means making them less
prominent.

Chris
99BBB

Old November 27th 05, 01:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article
Peer Landa > wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if I could somehow make a
> different design of the stock taillights. Although I sort of like the
> Simpson lights,
> http://www.simpsondesign.net/accesso...uro_lites1.jpg

Don't you think they look rather tacked on? The simple opaque plastic
covers with holes in them are even tackier, IMHO. It's pretty hard to
beat the stock NA and NB taillight design for functional beauty. Except,
of course, for this, which is so far past ricey it's magnificent:
http://www.beaterz.com/one_liners/06...awing_back.jpg

If I were in the market for an NC, I think I'd have to wait until the
aftermarket offered NA-style taillights to replace the gaudy Altezza
wannabees. They're *so* twentieth-century...

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 27th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

man, you can do a search on ebay motors for miata tail lights and get
several interesting options. Not just the standard altezza style but this
one is interesting;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91...ayphotohosting

I mean, some things the DIY idea works but hacking up tail lights, trying to
come up with something that doesn't look tacky? hmmmmmm.

Good luck searching,
Chris

Old November 27th 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Chris wrote:
> I mean, some things the DIY idea works but hacking up tail
> lights, trying to come up with something that doesn't
> look tacky? hmmmmmm.

Well, to me, those Altezza lights you showed are among the most tacky
replacements I see -- what's next, tinted windows and plush fuzzy dice?!

Seriously though, if I had the means I'd go for those taillights in a
heartbeat; http://tinyurl.com/dly6s

But as I said earlier, I'm curious to hear if anyone has done some snazzy
hack to their taillights, other than buying an expensive prefabricated
kit.

-- peer

Old November 27th 05, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Not just the standard altezza style but this
> one is interesting;
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91...ZA-TAIL-LIGHTS
> -LAMPS_W0QQitemZ8018028200QQcategoryZ33716QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte
> m#ebayphotohosting

Ewwww, fake carbon fiber. Uncle Ben's alert!

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 28th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

well, with the two links he showed, I think he should just save up for the
kit Lanny linked to.......oh no, wait, maybe he can just hack it together
without all those hundreds of hours that went into creating that lovely
'flagship'!

Sorry, but I think the fake carbon fiber tl's are a notch below the typ
altezza chrome units on the tacky scale, IMHO

Chris