SERVICE ASR and SERVICE ABS Lights

Old December 7th 04, 01:25 AM
corvett620

Default SERVICE ASR and SERVICE ABS Lights

Corvette wrote:
> Blue 92' wrote:
>
> > When I hit the brakes hard, my SERVICE ASR and SERVICE ABS lights

come on.
> > They stay on until I turn the car off and then turn it back on.

Anyone else
> > have this problem before or know how to fix it?

> Bleed your brakes with Ford High Performance Brake Fluid. Yes, I

know the
> stuff is from Ford. I read the article in Corvette Fever a few years

back and
> it works great. You will have to bleed the ABS unit as part of the

procedure.
> Check out the factory owners manual. I say this because there is a

process to
> the bleeding. If I remember right you have to bleed the ABS usit

before the
> wheels get done. Then you do the back passenger wheel and then the

driver's
> back wheel. Then beed the passenger side front and then the driver's

side

Old December 7th 04, 01:25 AM
corvett620

Old December 7th 04, 01:27 AM
corvett620

I have a 1994 corvette, and today the service asr light came on? What
do you
think I should try, my brake fluid is fine. So does anyone have advice
for me?
I just got the car, this is the first thing to happen. I read that that
is something that happens alot and its normal?

Old December 7th 04, 05:35 AM
John Smith

Go and buy Ford High Performance Brake Fluid. This is DOT 3 fluid but
has an extremely high boiling point. Follow the bleeding directions to
include bleeding the ABS unit behind the seat first. If you can get a
pressure bleeder it is better but you can do it with a helper pressing
the brake. Vaccuum bleeders suck so don't bother. Been there and done
that. The fluid you have is contaminated and the ABS and ASR is
freaking out. Before you bleed anything get a suction device to get all
the brake fluid you can out of the master cylinder. Then fill it up the
the Ford Fluid. Yes, I know it says Ford but the boiling point is far
abouve anything else on the market. Once you bleed the ABS and it is a
bitch since it is behind the seat. I ended up taking the back panel
assembly off to get the wrench to the bleeder screw since I needed to
connect a hose to it to keep the brake fluid off the interior and paint.
Anyway, once this is done you go to the back right and back left and
then the front right and front left. Lastly, be sure you get the High
Performance Brake Fluid and nothing else. Synthetic fluid sucks and DOT
4 will screw up the ABS so don't do it. I did it and it cost bucks to
get the crap out of your system.

Old December 7th 04, 05:35 AM
John Smith