LED Tailights

Old November 25th 04, 02:09 AM
Nate Nagel

Not necessarily. On an older thermal flasher you are correct. The
newer electronic ones blink fast under too little load. I guess they
designed them that way because it's less confusing to other drivers than
a light that doesn't blink at all.

That all said, there is one drawback to the LEDs, they are very
directional in their light, so they tend not to work well in lights that
rely on the reflector for their optical qualities. If you have a black
or other color light housing, the LEDs might work OK (Fresnel or other
type lens) if you have a shiny reflector for the back of the light
housing I'd check out the view of the lights before committing to LEDs,
what can happen is the LEDs will be real bright when viewed from
straight on but outside of a narrow viewing angle they will be all but
invisible.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old November 25th 04, 02:43 AM
Bob I

Oh! In that case I stand corrected!

Old November 25th 04, 02:43 AM
Bob I

Old November 29th 04, 10:49 PM
Diode

Bob I spoke thusly:

> Oh! In that case I stand corrected!

Yea Bob, I have the specs here for one of the original Automotive
Flasher "chips" (made by Temec, now Infineon I think). The chip
controls the turn signals and 4 ways. It says right in the spec that
under too LITTLE load, the chip will flash at double the normal rate to
alert the operator. They use an external sense resistor, and the chip
looks at the voltage drop across it.

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old November 29th 04, 10:49 PM
Diode

Bob I spoke thusly:

Old November 30th 04, 02:36 AM
Bob I

Thanks for the further info. Without that bit of new knowledge I could
have gone hunting down wiring shorts as the cause of a non-functional
indicator.

Old November 30th 04, 02:36 AM
Bob I

Old December 5th 04, 03:21 PM
JCORVETTE 72&75

Old December 5th 04, 03:21 PM
JCORVETTE 72&75

Old December 5th 04, 07:38 PM
''Key

"JCORVETTE 72&75" > wrote in message
> does the 72 electrical system have a problem operating

these led's
> i like how they look and do seem to be brighter. i see

them on big rigs
> everywhere.

I would say no
but
I don't have a 72.

> kinda pricey tho at 35 $ a side.
> but ive seen them on the net for 24.95 a set. whats up

with that.
> thx for any info

if you add shipping ?
your almost there...