Chrysler NewYorker 5th Ave.

Old May 15th 05, 07:20 PM
Lorinda

Default Chrysler NewYorker 5th Ave.

Can someone please help. I have a 1993 Chrysler NewYorker 5th Ave. It
skips. When I am at a red light, I have to put my foot on the gas &
brake or it will kill. Does anybody know what causes this and how to
fix it? I have already checked the coral, timming chain, vacuum line.
please help!
Thanks
Lorinda

Old May 15th 05, 07:35 PM
Lorinda

also it jerks a lot

Old May 15th 05, 07:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Lorinda wrote:

> Can someone please help. I have a 1993 Chrysler NewYorker 5th Ave. It
> skips. When I am at a red light, I have to put my foot on the gas &
> brake or it will kill. Does anybody know what causes this and how to
> fix it? I have already checked the coral, timming chain, vacuum line.
> please help!

Er...what is this "coral" you think you've checked?

It's probable that there are several problems with your car. One of them
is likely that the throttle body and AIS motor are dirty and in need of
cleaning. There may be others, too. You can check to see if the computer
has detected any fault conditions.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
leaving it "ON". Do not
go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go
off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored.
For instance, if it flashes:

flash <pause> flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a
55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes
stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

DS
Old May 15th 05, 07:55 PM
Lorinda

Sorry, my bad. Its coil not coral. I didn't fix anything, my brother
did. He doesn't know what else to do so he suggested that I get on here
to see if anybody knew about this problem. It won't give any codes
except 55.

Old May 15th 05, 08:15 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Lorinda wrote:

> Sorry, my bad. Its coil not coral. I didn't fix anything, my brother
> did. He doesn't know what else to do so he suggested that I get on here
> to see if anybody knew about this problem. It won't give any codes
> except 55.

Well, the computer doesn't detect EVERY possible cause of improper
running. It can't detect a dirty throttle body or AIS motor. It can't
detect dirty and worn spark plugs or plug wires. It can't detect a dirty,
clogged or broken hose, valve or filter in the PCV system.

DS
Old May 15th 05, 08:18 PM
Lorinda

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
lorinda

Old May 15th 05, 08:20 PM
Lorinda

Thanks for taking the time to answer my qusetions.

Lorinda

Old May 16th 05, 12:53 AM
carbgone

help!! my 1987 5th ave. has just thrown it"s tranny linkage and as i type
is stuck on the side of the road.can someone please e mail me a diagram or
picture of what it looks like under there so as i can fix it and drive it
home. thanx in advance!! p.s. i can"t

Old May 16th 05, 12:56 AM
carbgone

help!! my 1987 5th ave. has just thrown it"s tranny linkage and as i type
is stuck on the side of the road.can someone please e mail me a diagram or
picture of what it looks like under there so as i can fix it and drive it
home. thanx in advance!! p.s. i can"t afford a towtruck or a
mechanic so any tips would sure be appreciated! carbgone

Old May 16th 05, 04:21 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 15 May 2005, carbgone wrote:

> help!! my 1987 5th ave. has just thrown it"s tranny linkage and as i
> type is stuck on the side of the road.can someone please e mail me a
> diagram or picture of what it looks like under there so as i can fix it
> and drive it home. thanx in advance!! p.s. i can"t afford a towtruck
> or a mechanic so any tips would sure be appreciated! carbgone

Very, very simple. A lever exits from the outboard side of the lower end
of the steering column, in the engine bay. When the selector is in
"Park", the lever is rotated all the way DOWN. When the selector is in
"1", the lever is rotated all the way UP. A link rod is attached
via a grommet and cotter pin into that lever.

The other end of that link rod is attached via a grommet and cotter pin to
a bell crank assembly. Another link rod is attached to the other end of
that bell crank assembly, again via a grommet and cotter pin.

The other end of this final link is attached via a cotter pin to the
actual gear selector lever on the transmission.

One of your cotter pins has probably broken, or perhaps one of your
grommets has gone missing. Find the point at which the linkage is no
longer linked, and fix it.

DS