'94 Miata with squeal

Old November 23rd 05, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default '94 Miata with squeal

I'm experiencing an intermittent squeal noise coming from the front left
area of the vehicle. It began as an intermittent whirring noise that
responded to the vehicle's speed (noise speeds up when the vehicle does
and slows down when the vehicle does). It has since progressed to a loud
squeal. This occurs whether or not the clutch is pressed or depressed so
I do not think it is a clutch release bearing issue. The speadometer is
also experiencing some trouble (the needle wobbles at times), but the
noise and wobble do not consistently match.

Any suggestions of what I may be experiencing?

Thanks!

Old November 23rd 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article
outautos.com>,
"CSCooke" > wrote:

> I'm experiencing an intermittent squeal noise coming from the front left
> area of the vehicle.

If it stops when you apply the brakes, it's the audible warning that
it's time for new brake pads.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 25th 05, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

It could also be the speedo cable. You can very simply disconnect it at the
tranny end and do a test drive to determine that. Also, see recent thread on
the speedo cable.

Chris
99BBB

Old December 2nd 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

My squeal (in my '99 that just had new front brake discs and a new timing
belt at 60,000 miles) occurs in the cold, when I have shifted into neutral,
and disappears when I speed up in 3rd gear to about 40 mph and then shift
back to neutral. Oddly, it then appears when, after about 5 miles of hiway
driving, I am back on city streets. Same solution. Speedo cable? I do not
see any wobble of the needle. Any thoughts?

Old December 3rd 05, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

A noise like this can come from many sources. I would suspect a belt
tensioner first, if it sounds like it may be coming from under the hood.
Sometime a water pump bearing will squeal as is starts failing (look for a
coolant leak at the pump shaft). It could be a noisy clutch release bearing
or a wheel bearing.

I have a '99. The left front wheel bearing is starting to howl on my car at
about 25 to 30 mph. If I speed up the noise fades away.

Good luck with the search!

"KKennedy" > wrote in message
. ..
> My squeal (in my '99 that just had new front brake discs and a new timing
> belt at 60,000 miles) occurs in the cold, when I have shifted into
> neutral, and disappears when I speed up in 3rd gear to about 40 mph and
> then shift back to neutral. Oddly, it then appears when, after about 5
> miles of hiway driving, I am back on city streets. Same solution. Speedo
> cable? I do not see any wobble of the needle. Any thoughts?
>
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
>> It could also be the speedo cable. You can very simply disconnect it at
>> the tranny end and do a test drive to determine that. Also, see recent
>> thread on the speedo cable.
>>
>> Chris
>> 99BBB
>>
>> "Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>>> In article
>>> outautos.com>,

>>> If it stops when you apply the brakes, it's the audible warning that
>>> it's time for new brake pads.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lanny Chambers
>>> '94C, St. Louis
>>> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Had an accident in my Miata. Selling it on Ebay if anyone is interested. Paco Mazda 46 August 23rd 05 09:08 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
Terrible Squeal Sandra Ries Saturn 10 March 15th 05 02:11 PM
Corvette vs Miata - long Tom Howlin Mazda 23 February 28th 05 11:28 PM
Looking to buy 1991 1.8 liter turbo miata pws Mazda 3 November 23rd 04 05:37 AM