mazda protege dx 1995 cutting off at stop sign

Old November 30th 05, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default mazda protege dx 1995 cutting off at stop sign

can anyone ot there please help me. my mazda seems to want to cut off at
stop signs and redlights. just when i push the gas to about to pull off.
it cranks right back up but, . it's dangerous when your in traffic and
your car cuts off as you are trying to pull off or turn a corner at a stop
sign or red light. other wise the car drives great. do anyone have any idea
how i can fix this problem. or what the problem could be.

Old December 1st 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I had a '97 Protege, and I had the same problem when the car was brand new.
I took it back to the dealer. I can't remember what they adjusted but I
never had the problem again.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 1st 05, 11:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

fitzteen wrote:
> can anyone ot there please help me. my mazda seems to want to cut off at
> stop signs and redlights. just when i push the gas to about to pull off.
> it cranks right back up but, . it's dangerous when your in traffic and
> your car cuts off as you are trying to pull off or turn a corner at a stop
> sign or red light. other wise the car drives great. do anyone have any idea
> how i can fix this problem. or what the problem could be.

I had exactly the same problem. Several things were suggested to me, but
there seemed to be some concensus towards (a) checking all vacuum hoses
for leaks, and, (b) checking/cleaning the idle air control valve
mechanism. Knowledgeable people also mentioned how this valve (IAC) is
operated by a stepper motor. I never got to replacing the valve or the
motor itself, but when I had a new battery in, the problem went away.

I can only assume that this stepper motor is quite demanding in Amps and
requires a fully-charged battery to work properly (just a common-sense
thought, I am in no way mechanically-inclined or knowledgeable beyond
bare basics).

It would be great if you would post a small follow-up after you have
yours sorted out.

Nikolas