Fox body antenna

Old October 13th 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default Fox body antenna

Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the base
AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the black
cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
underneath...

dwight
'93 LX 5.0 hatchback, sans antenna

Old October 14th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 13, 5:24*pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the base
> AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the black
> cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
> screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
> underneath...

> dwight
> '93 LX 5.0 hatchback, sans antenna

Why not just replace the pole? Twist off broken one, twist on new
one.

Patrick
Old October 14th 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Refund

" > wrote in message
On Oct 13, 5:24 pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the
> base
> AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the
> black
> cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
> screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
> underneath...

> dwight
> '93 LX 5.0 hatchback, sans antenna

Why not just replace the pole? Twist off broken one, twist on new
one.

Patrick

yea, why do the base?

if it is faded from the sun
you can get 5.0 fox body exterior black paint, works good
I still have some left in a can.

Old October 14th 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

" > wrote in message
> On Oct 13, 5:24 pm, "dwight" > wrote:
>> Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the
>> base
>> AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the
>> black
>> cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
>> screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
>> underneath...

>> dwight
>> '93 LX 5.0 hatchback, sans antenna

> Why not just replace the pole? Twist off broken one, twist on new
> one.
>
> Patrick

Because I'm stupid and not allowed to use tools.

I took the antenna off CFrog and tried to attach it to TFrog, but no go.
Thought maybe something was stuck in the socket, but not that I can tell.
Threads stripped? Got me. I thought it might be easier to just replace the
base, along with the new antenna.

dwight

Old October 14th 11, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"Refund" > wrote in message

> " > wrote in message
> On Oct 13, 5:24 pm, "dwight" > wrote:
>> Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the
>> base
>> AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the
>> black
>> cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
>> screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
>> underneath...

>> dwight
>> '93 LX 5.0 hatchback, sans antenna

> Why not just replace the pole? Twist off broken one, twist on new
> one.
>
> Patrick
>

> yea, why do the base?
>
> if it is faded from the sun
> you can get 5.0 fox body exterior black paint, works good
> I still have some left in a can.

If it were just the black cap that was the problem, it'd be cheaper and
easier to just replace it. Probably costs less than the paint.

That's the beauty of the Fox Mustangs - you can still get just about any
part you want, and for cheap.

dwight

Old October 14th 11, 05:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Refund

"dwight" > wrote in message

> "Refund" > wrote in message
>>
>> " > wrote in message
>> On Oct 13, 5:24 pm, "dwight" > wrote:
>>> Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the
>>> base
>>> AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the
>>> black
>>> cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
>>> screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
>>> underneath...

>>> dwight
>>> '93 LX 5.0 hatchback, sans antenna

>> Why not just replace the pole? Twist off broken one, twist on new
>> one.
>>
>> Patrick
>>

>> yea, why do the base?
>>
>> if it is faded from the sun
>> you can get 5.0 fox body exterior black paint, works good
>> I still have some left in a can.

> If it were just the black cap that was the problem, it'd be cheaper and
> easier to just replace it. Probably costs less than the paint.
>
> That's the beauty of the Fox Mustangs - you can still get just about any
> part you want, and for cheap.
>
> dwight

one part I could not find was the very short L rubber hose, that attached
to the canister (gas fumes)
Another part was the little metal clips (they rust in place) that hold
molding on the lower part of the front windshield.
(above easily rigged)
but could not find the windshield washer sprayer part, that spreads the
water out, which bolts into the cowl.
Everything else is still around !
The stock Starter relay is a bad design, the ground wire is not bonded to a
screw, just layes in back loose.
The alternator connector is poor design and can catch on fire, I replaced it
with a type 3, has a big screw terminal instead of connector (not good as it
has hot battery power in the middle of engiine, (Stock connector/altinator
is undersized for the amount of current and over time, frys. typically is
replaced in fleets)
The single pin ground near the starter relay and battery can get battery
acid on it and not make a good ground connection back to the computer, and
ALL KINDS of screwy things happen, *Really screwy*, I cut the connector out
and sodered the wires together, it is near where the battery ground (small
wire) connects to the frame.
Had the heater core go out twice in the car, that aroma of antifreeze means
another $500 to open that air box again (air box was not really ment to be
opend up and fixed)

But that was all minor stuff, bought the car at 95,000 miles (cop car) and
sold it at 180,000.

Old October 14th 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 13, 8:18*pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> " > wrote in message

> > On Oct 13, 5:24 pm, "dwight" > wrote:
> >> Okay, the car wash ate my antenna. Snapped it off, so I'm replacing the
> >> base
> >> AND antenna. Stupid question before the replacement arrives - does the
> >> black
> >> cover on the base just snap off? Do I pry it up to expose the actual
> >> screwed-in base? Please don't tell me I have to somehow get access from
> >> underneath...

> > Why not just replace the pole? *Twist off broken one, twist on new
> > one.

> Because I'm stupid and not allowed to use tools.

> I took the antenna off CFrog and tried to attach it to TFrog, but no go.
> Thought maybe something was stuck in the socket, but not that I can tell.
> Threads stripped? Got me. I thought it might be easier to just replace the
> base, along with the new antenna.

I'm guessing the base was damaged when the pole was broken off. Do
you see any hairline cracks in the base? Any metal shavings in the
threads?

As for removing/replacing the base, it should be removable without
pulling the fender/or from the underside, at after on the assemble
line it was more than likely attached after the fender.

Here's an idea. Maybe a local body shop could give you some advice/
help.

Patrick
Old October 14th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-10-14, Refund > wrote:

> but could not find the windshield washer sprayer part, that spreads the
> water out, which bolts into the cowl.

Those are available. I've seen them for sale brand new. I messed up the
sprayer on my '97 clearing ice from it. It still works acceptably but
the spray pattern isn't perfect. I ended up picking up two or three at
the u-pull.