E34 coolant leak - can I fix it?

Old October 31st 06, 03:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
N Williamson

Default E34 coolant leak - can I fix it?

Hi

1992 525i I've had since new & maintained by BMW, 116,000 mi. The car
has a relatively new water pump (last major service).

Noticed a small puddle of coolant on garage floor yesterday. Looked
into the engine compartment and it's wet at the base of the reservoir
(seems integral to the radiator on L/H side). I do not know if the
reservoir is separate/removable or not, but if there is a seal at the
base of it, my suspicion is that is what may be leaking.

If it is separate, is it a big deal/tricky to fix myself? I've some
experience tinkering with cars and a respectable set of tools.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

Why is it all the sensors seeking intelligent
life are pointed away from earth?
Old October 31st 06, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"N Williamson" > wrote
> 1992 525i I've had since new & maintained by BMW, 116,000 mi. The car
> has a relatively new water pump (last major service).
>
> Noticed a small puddle of coolant on garage floor yesterday. Looked
> into the engine compartment and it's wet at the base of the reservoir
> (seems integral to the radiator on L/H side). I do not know if the
> reservoir is separate/removable or not, but if there is a seal at the
> base of it, my suspicion is that is what may be leaking.
>
> If it is separate, is it a big deal/tricky to fix myself? I've some
> experience tinkering with cars and a respectable set of tools.
>
> Any tips appreciated.

Time for a new radiator. BMW went to aluminum cores with plastic
reservoirs and they're crap (although the older ones are better than
newer ones.) You can even spend more money for a completely
metal one rather than OEM, but it's not likely to be cost-effective
given the age and miles of the car.

FloydR

Old November 1st 06, 08:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tbird-Steve

Just crack an egg or two into it.

Steve

Old November 1st 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
SharkmanBMW!

go here and search or post, they will solve your issues fast and properly...
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdi...0&daysprune=-1

Old November 2nd 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
N Williamson

In article >,
"SharkmanBMW!" > wrote:

> go here and search or post, they will solve your issues fast and properly...
> http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdi...astpost&order=
> &pp=60&daysprune=-1

Thanks. I had seen this link in a reply of yours on another subject and
it looks encouraging. Still looking into the do's and don'ts of the
forum aside from the FAQ.

Old November 2nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
N Williamson

In article >,
"Floyd Rogers" > wrote:

> "N Williamson" > wrote
> > 1992 525i I've had since new & maintained by BMW, 116,000 mi. The car
> > has a relatively new water pump (last major service).
> >
> > Noticed a small puddle of coolant on garage floor yesterday. Looked
> > into the engine compartment and it's wet at the base of the reservoir
> > (seems integral to the radiator on L/H side). I do not know if the
> > reservoir is separate/removable or not, but if there is a seal at the
> > base of it, my suspicion is that is what may be leaking.
> >
> > If it is separate, is it a big deal/tricky to fix myself? I've some
> > experience tinkering with cars and a respectable set of tools.
> >
> > Any tips appreciated.

> Time for a new radiator. BMW went to aluminum cores with plastic
> reservoirs and they're crap (although the older ones are better than
> newer ones.) You can even spend more money for a completely
> metal one rather than OEM, but it's not likely to be cost-effective
> given the age and miles of the car.
>
> FloydR

I'm going to look into the all metal version. I plan on having the car
another 10 years or so. Thanks.