Quality differences between motor oil. brands & bulk oil from oil-change places

Old December 28th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Runk[_2_]

Default Quality differences between motor oil. brands & bulk oil from oil-change places

When I was a kid I've heard the old timers talk about paraffin based oils
and asphalt based oils but never could get a straight answer out of them.
Any one know where that train of thought come from.

Old December 28th 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Runk" > wrote in message
> When I was a kid I've heard the old timers talk about paraffin based oils
> and asphalt based oils but never could get a straight answer out of them.
> Any one know where that train of thought come from.

Petroleum crude oil has both asphaltenic components (large molecules with
aromatic ring structures, and other characteristics), branched hydrocarbons
both hydrogen unsaturated and saturated, and "paraffins". Paraffins were
named
this because they were typically very stable and didnt tend to react easily
with
many other chemicals.

Paraffin waxes are just larger molecules of paraffins. They are so large
they are
solid, like polyethylene.

The best oil stocks were the virgin paraffinic oils from places such as
Pennsylvania
oil field. They could be cleaned up by distillation, hydrogenated, etc and
made into
excellent lubricants (additives were added to even improve on this
dramatically).

Alphaltenics can also be beneficiated, but they were not the desired
starting materials
that the paraffinic oil were.

HTH

Old December 30th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:38:39 -0600, hls wrote:

> "Runk" > wrote in message
>> When I was a kid I've heard the old timers talk about paraffin based
>> oils and asphalt based oils but never could get a straight answer out of
>> them. Any one know where that train of thought come from.

> Petroleum crude oil has both asphaltenic components (large molecules with
> aromatic ring structures, and other characteristics), branched
> hydrocarbons both hydrogen unsaturated and saturated, and "paraffins".
> Paraffins were named
> this because they were typically very stable and didnt tend to react
> easily with
> many other chemicals.
>
> Paraffin waxes are just larger molecules of paraffins. They are so large
> they are
> solid, like polyethylene.
>
> The best oil stocks were the virgin paraffinic oils from places such as
> Pennsylvania
> oil field. They could be cleaned up by distillation, hydrogenated, etc
> and made into
> excellent lubricants (additives were added to even improve on this
> dramatically).
>
> Alphaltenics can also be beneficiated, but they were not the desired
> starting materials
> that the paraffinic oil were.
>
> HTH

Damn! A walking Wikipedia!

Old January 3rd 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:38:39 -0600, hls wrote:
>

>> "Runk" > wrote in message
>>> When I was a kid I've heard the old timers talk about paraffin based
>>> oils and asphalt based oils but never could get a straight answer out of
>>> them. Any one know where that train of thought come from.

>> Petroleum crude oil has both asphaltenic components (large molecules with
>> aromatic ring structures, and other characteristics), branched
>> hydrocarbons both hydrogen unsaturated and saturated, and "paraffins".
>> Paraffins were named
>> this because they were typically very stable and didnt tend to react
>> easily with
>> many other chemicals.
>>
>> Paraffin waxes are just larger molecules of paraffins. They are so large
>> they are
>> solid, like polyethylene.
>>
>> The best oil stocks were the virgin paraffinic oils from places such as
>> Pennsylvania
>> oil field. They could be cleaned up by distillation, hydrogenated, etc
>> and made into
>> excellent lubricants (additives were added to even improve on this
>> dramatically).
>>
>> Alphaltenics can also be beneficiated, but they were not the desired
>> starting materials
>> that the paraffinic oil were.
>>
>> HTH

> Damn! A walking Wikipedia!