Timing Chain replacement on 2001 Jeep G. Cherokee

Old March 27th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

Default Timing Chain replacement on 2001 Jeep G. Cherokee

Just wanted to know if what i am experiencing with my 01 G.C. Limited
in normal

My truck has given me very limited problems until now. After feeling a
jerk while on the interstate I took it in to the mechanic. I had
noticed some rattling coming from under the hood and was trying to fix
it myself using different types of oil and additives. The mechanic
said that the timing chain was the problem and to replace it was going
to cost around $1,200-$1,500. The truck has 97,000 miles on it. Is
this something that I should have to replace now or is it just my bad
luck?

Old March 27th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

I don't know if we I am comparing apples to oranges but, my 91 4.0
Wrangler is still on it's original timing chain. 130k miles.

CTM

Old March 27th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On 27 Mar 2006 12:10:39 -0800, "Jim Dorroh" > wrote:

>Just wanted to know if what i am experiencing with my 01 G.C. Limited
>in normal
>
>My truck has given me very limited problems until now. After feeling a
>jerk while on the interstate I took it in to the mechanic. I had
>noticed some rattling coming from under the hood and was trying to fix
>it myself using different types of oil and additives. The mechanic
>said that the timing chain was the problem and to replace it was going
>to cost around $1,200-$1,500. The truck has 97,000 miles on it. Is
>this something that I should have to replace now or is it just my bad
>luck?

Your bad luck...

Timing chains usually don't fail unless oil change intervals (or oil
quality) are abused.

That said, if yuo replace it yourself, you could get by much
cheaper...

Old March 27th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On 27 Mar 2006 12:10:39 -0800, "Jim Dorroh" > wrote:

>Just wanted to know if what i am experiencing with my 01 G.C. Limited
>in normal
>
>My truck has given me very limited problems until now. After feeling a
>jerk while on the interstate I took it in to the mechanic. I had
>noticed some rattling coming from under the hood and was trying to fix
>it myself using different types of oil and additives. The mechanic
>said that the timing chain was the problem and to replace it was going
>to cost around $1,200-$1,500. The truck has 97,000 miles on it. Is
>this something that I should have to replace now or is it just my bad
>luck?

If it is the timing chain, they cost about 30 bucks and 4 to 6 hrs of
labor so your quote is way out of line. If you do not change oil often
regularly, the timing chain can suffer. 100K with a loose chain is not
unreasonable though some usually get a lot more than that. Engines
with manuals tend to have the timing chain last longer than with a
automatic as a auto put more strain on a chain with constant sudden
RPM changes from shifting gears where with a stick they tend to be
smoother about this. If you are comfortable with tools and do not mind
getting a tool or two if you need it it is quite doable. I would also
recommand that you replace water pump while you have it off given its
mileage as it may be reaching the end of its life cycle and since you
have to remove it to change the change, replace the pump while it is
off.
Old March 31st 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4

did I miss the post with the engine size in it. the 4.7L is a ba**ard
and reguires a few hundred in specialized tools.
doug

Old March 31st 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 05:39:45 GMT, (doug) wrote:

>did I miss the post with the engine size in it. the 4.7L is a ba**ard
>and reguires a few hundred in specialized tools.
>doug

That depends on where you buy the tool too. Go to some place like
Harbor Freight and they will cost a lot less.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old March 31st 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:45:41 GMT, SnoMan > wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 05:39:45 GMT, (doug) wrote:
>
>>did I miss the post with the engine size in it. the 4.7L is a ba**ard
>>and reguires a few hundred in specialized tools.
>>doug
>>

>That depends on where you buy the tool too. Go to some place like
>Harbor Freight and they will cost a lot less.
>The SnoMan

www.thesnoman.com

Many chain parts stores will rent the tools necessary as well--even
cheaper than Harbor Frieght and the rented tools won't break when you
ask 'em to work! <bg>