2001 Saturn SC2 starting issue

Old November 10th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jstein

Default 2001 Saturn SC2 starting issue

I own a 2001 Saturn SC2 that I am having starting issues with. I
moved the car down my driveway 30 feet. 20 minutes later I try to
move the car again and it will not start. All lights, locks, alarm,
radio etc are all working. I am pretty sure I can hear a click when I
turn the key but I am not sure if is the starter or the fuel pump
kicking on. I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes
thinking it would reset something. I checked the fuses in both boxes
and those all appear good. This car is a standard and is behaving as
if the clutch pedal safety switch is not engaged. Any help would be
much appreciated.

-Jesse
Old November 10th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Nov 10, 2:24*pm, Jstein > wrote:
> I own a 2001 Saturn SC2 that I am having starting issues with. *I
> moved the car down my driveway 30 feet. *20 minutes later I try to
> move the car again and it will not start. *All lights, locks, alarm,
> radio etc are all working. *I am pretty sure I can hear a click when I
> turn the key but I am not sure if is the starter or the fuel pump
> kicking on. I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes
> thinking it would reset something. *I checked the fuses in both boxes
> and those all appear good. *This car is a standard and is behaving as
> if the clutch pedal safety switch is not engaged. *Any help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> -Jesse

If you can see the starter have someone tap on it with a hammer while
you are trying to start it. If it starts that is your problem.

also have someone under the hood while trying to start it to see if
they can hear a clicking sound either coming from the starter, or the
starter relay. The relay could be bad as well.

also check for corroded battery cables or loose cables. at the battery
& at the starter.
Old November 11th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dave Allured

Jstein wrote:

> I own a 2001 Saturn SC2 that I am having starting issues with. I
> moved the car down my driveway 30 feet. 20 minutes later I try to
> move the car again and it will not start. All lights, locks, alarm,
> radio etc are all working. I am pretty sure I can hear a click when I
> turn the key but I am not sure if is the starter or the fuel pump
> kicking on. I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes
> thinking it would reset something. I checked the fuses in both boxes
> and those all appear good. This car is a standard and is behaving as
> if the clutch pedal safety switch is not engaged. Any help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> -Jesse

This sounds like the usual, especially with the days getting colder.
Most likely first:

1. Old battery at end of life. How old is it?

2. Corrosion inside battery cable terminals.

3. Battery cables corroded or loose somewhere else.

4. For a 2001 vehicle I put the starter motor at a distant fourth,
unless the vehicle history includes excessive starts such as delivery
service. However there is the chance of dirt or corrosion or wear in
contacts inside the starter, so m6onz5a's hammer tap suggestion is a
good one.

You said "All lights, locks, alarm, radio etc are all working", but that
may just be under no load. Turn on the headlights and watch them from
the front while a helper tries the starter. If they dim severely, it
must be 1, 2, or 3. If they stay bright, then look at 3 or 4.

Also, as others on r.a.t. have said many times: your meter is your
friend. Before shotgun replacement of expensive parts, measure battery
voltage, then use the meter to check for excessive voltage drops between
battery and various points along the cables. When the whole starting
system is in good shape, the battery itself should hold at least 9 volts
(?) across the terminals while cranking. Almost all of the voltage drop
should be across the starter motor and NOT the cables.

Quick fix if you don't want to diagnose properly: Hook up jumper cables
from a good car while running, charge the suspect battery for about 5
minutes, then try starting. If it starts easily, there is probably
nothing wrong with the starter motor; look at 1 and 2 above. If it's
weak or dead the next morning, then it's probably just an old battery.
Been there, done that.

--Dave
Old November 11th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jstein

On Nov 11, 10:45*am, Dave Allured > wrote:
> Jstein wrote:
>
> > I own a 2001 Saturn SC2 that I am having starting issues with. *I
> > moved the car down my driveway 30 feet. *20 minutes later I try to
> > move the car again and it will not start. *All lights, locks, alarm,
> > radio etc are all working. *I am pretty sure I can hear a click when I
> > turn the key but I am not sure if is the starter or the fuel pump
> > kicking on. I tried disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes
> > thinking it would reset something. *I checked the fuses in both boxes
> > and those all appear good. *This car is a standard and is behaving as
> > if the clutch pedal safety switch is not engaged. *Any help would be
> > much appreciated.

> > -Jesse

> This sounds like the usual, especially with the days getting colder.
> Most likely first:
>
> 1. *Old battery at end of life. *How old is it?
>
> 2. *Corrosion inside battery cable terminals.
>
> 3. *Battery cables corroded or loose somewhere else.
>
> 4. *For a 2001 vehicle I put the starter motor at a distant fourth,
> unless the vehicle history includes excessive starts such as delivery
> service. *However there is the chance of dirt or corrosion or wear in
> contacts inside the starter, so m6onz5a's hammer tap suggestion is a
> good one.
>
> You said "All lights, locks, alarm, radio etc are all working", but that
> may just be under no load. *Turn on the headlights and watch them from
> the front while a helper tries the starter. *If they dim severely, it
> must be 1, 2, or 3. *If they stay bright, then look at 3 or 4.
>
> Also, as others on r.a.t. have said many times: your meter is your
> friend. *Before shotgun replacement of expensive parts, measure battery
> voltage, then use the meter to check for excessive voltage drops between
> battery and various points along the cables. *When the whole starting
> system is in good shape, the battery itself should hold at least 9 volts
> (?) across the terminals while cranking. *Almost all of the voltage drop
> should be across the starter motor and NOT the cables.
>
> Quick fix if you don't want to diagnose properly: *Hook up jumper cables
> from a good car while running, charge the suspect battery for about 5
> minutes, then try starting. *If it starts easily, there is probably
> nothing wrong with the starter motor; look at 1 and 2 above. *If it's
> weak or dead the next morning, then it's probably just an old battery.
> Been there, done that.
>
> --Dave

The problem was the starter. I had someone tap it with a piece of
wood while I tried to start it. It started right up. Thanks for
everyone's help.