Why doesn't Ford one-up the Vette?

Old October 27th 05, 02:49 AM
John

Default Why doesn't Ford one-up the Vette?

"Ritz" > wrote in message
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> You can get the same feeling, and more, from a small displacement engine
>> with a twin screw blower. My little ol' 302 with a KB blower pumps out
>> 460+ ft-lbs of torque at the rear wheels at just 2,500 rpm.

> Just another datapoint....
>
> My 2.7L twin turbo A6 will soon be putting out about 440hp and about
> 420ft/lbs of torque. And that's in daily driver trim and will get about
> 21mpg on average....all from an engine with "only" about 170 cubic inches.
> There aren't too many big blocks out there in street/daily-driver trim
> that could keep up with this "family sedan" on the track or the strip.

Excellent! Those kind of numbers definitely put a substantial adrenalin
button between the gas pedal and the floorboard. I know exactly how it
feels!

--
John
'69 Mach 1 390 Toploader Acapulco Blue

Old October 27th 05, 07:17 AM
ZombyWoof

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:16:28 GMT, > wrote:

>"Rich" > wrote in message
.. .
>> One simple addition to the Mustang line;
>> A small-block 427. They already have the engine,
>> I saw it (if you can image it) in a prototype racing
>> Thunderbird about three years ago.
>> Why won't they do it?
>> How would it look if a Mustang waxed the GT?
>> -Rich

>Aint gonna happen.
>The Mustang is a nice looking car. At $3.00 per gallon for fuel, few will
>spring for
>a gobbling 427. (I had a 68 Cobra. That f''''er yielded 4-8 miles per
>gallon)
>Ford isn't going to slit their other wrist by going this way.
>They are into deep caca as it is.
>
>The Corvette is a highly refined vehicle. Desired by the moderately
>wealthy.
>Ford is not even on the same street.

You don't have to have any level of wealth to "desire" a Corvette.
Hell going a couple of years old used you don't even have to be Upper
Middle Class in order to own one. I know plenty of Active Duty
Military members (who in no way shape or form can be considered
anything other then employed) who own Corvettes. Hell I have two and
am a lowly public servant.
--
Zombywoof

Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
Old October 27th 05, 04:32 PM

"ZombyWoof" > wrote in message

> >The Corvette is a highly refined vehicle. Desired by the moderately
> >wealthy.
> >Ford is not even on the same street.
> >

> You don't have to have any level of wealth to "desire" a Corvette.
> Hell going a couple of years old used you don't even have to be Upper
> Middle Class in order to own one. I know plenty of Active Duty
> Military members (who in no way shape or form can be considered
> anything other then employed) who own Corvettes. Hell I have two and
> am a lowly public servant.
> --
> Zombywoof

The moderately wealthy dont buy used cars. They buy new Lexus, Jaguar,
Cadillac, Corvette, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Poor *******s like me buy their
used castoffs.

And they dont buy Mustangs, except for their college bound kids.

The really wealthy may buy something else.

Old October 27th 05, 11:54 PM
Rich

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:16:28 GMT, > wrote:

>"Rich" > wrote in message
.. .
>> One simple addition to the Mustang line;
>> A small-block 427. They already have the engine,
>> I saw it (if you can image it) in a prototype racing
>> Thunderbird about three years ago.
>> Why won't they do it?
>> How would it look if a Mustang waxed the GT?
>> -Rich

>Aint gonna happen.
>The Mustang is a nice looking car. At $3.00 per gallon for fuel, few will
>spring for
>a gobbling 427. (I had a 68 Cobra. That f''''er yielded 4-8 miles per
>gallon)
>Ford isn't going to slit their other wrist by going this way.
>They are into deep caca as it is.
>
>The Corvette is a highly refined vehicle. Desired by the moderately
>wealthy.
>Ford is not even on the same street.

You people are living in the dark ages. Even big blocks
get reasonable gas mileage now provided they aren't paired
to a 7000lb SUV.
-Rich
Old October 28th 05, 02:25 AM
Brent P

In article >, ZombyWoof wrote:

> You don't have to have any level of wealth to "desire" a Corvette.
> Hell going a couple of years old used you don't even have to be Upper
> Middle Class in order to own one. I know plenty of Active Duty
> Military members (who in no way shape or form can be considered
> anything other then employed) who own Corvettes. Hell I have two and
> am a lowly public servant.

And... (I believe this should still be true, but haven't checked) one can
pick up vettes a few years used in near perfect, near showroom condition
for about 20-30 grand. For some reason it seems there are these vette
owners who rarely drive them, who keep them garaged and perfect, that
need to upgrade every few years to the newest vette.

There really isn't really anything amazing about being able to own a
vette.