not starting.. argh!

Old February 5th 06, 05:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default not starting.. argh!

today the 92 735i has driven me over the edge.

I got in the car, radio, clock -- everything; looked good...

Car wouldn't start, in fact, only the odometer & SRS light went on.

what should I look at?

-j

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old February 5th 06, 12:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Josh Assing" > wrote in message

> today the 92 735i has driven me over the edge.
>
> I got in the car, radio, clock -- everything; looked good...
>
> Car wouldn't start, in fact, only the odometer & SRS light went on.
>
> what should I look at?
>
> -j

Look at the basics. To start with, check all of the fuses. Is the battery
supplying enough voltage to turn over the starter? If not, it could be a
bad battery and/or alternator. Is the engine getting fuel? If not it could
be either a clogged fuel filter or a dead fuel pump. If you think it might
be the fuel pump, don't forget to check the relay for it as well.

Kyle.
98 740iL
01 525i

Old February 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> today the 92 735i has driven me over the edge.
>
> I got in the car, radio, clock -- everything; looked good...
>
> Car wouldn't start, in fact, only the odometer & SRS light went on.
>
> what should I look at?

Dead battery. They give little warning of failure in modern BMWs. Of
course it might just be drained flat.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price
Old February 5th 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

You're right -- I checked the fuses, they all looked good; but one was, indeed,
bad (had to use an ohm meter on it)

# 17 was blown. I suspect I have some electrical gremlin; as yesterday the
battery was dead after sitting for 4 days....

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 12:56:40 GMT, "Kyle and Lori Greene"
> wrote:

>"Josh Assing" > wrote in message
.. .

>> today the 92 735i has driven me over the edge.
>>
>> I got in the car, radio, clock -- everything; looked good...
>>
>> Car wouldn't start, in fact, only the odometer & SRS light went on.
>>
>> what should I look at?
>>
>> -j

>Look at the basics. To start with, check all of the fuses. Is the battery
>supplying enough voltage to turn over the starter? If not, it could be a
>bad battery and/or alternator. Is the engine getting fuel? If not it could
>be either a clogged fuel filter or a dead fuel pump. If you think it might
>be the fuel pump, don't forget to check the relay for it as well.
>
>Kyle.
>98 740iL
>01 525i
>

>> --- AntiSpam/harvest ---
>> Remove X's to send email to me.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old February 5th 06, 06:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 06:22:39 -0800, Josh Assing > wrote:

>You're right -- I checked the fuses, they all looked good; but one was, indeed,
>bad (had to use an ohm meter on it)
>
># 17 was blown. I suspect I have some electrical gremlin; as yesterday the
>battery was dead after sitting for 4 days....

Isn't that something you should have mentioned in the first place?
Old February 6th 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>>You're right -- I checked the fuses, they all looked good; but one was, indeed,
>>bad (had to use an ohm meter on it)
>>
>># 17 was blown. I suspect I have some electrical gremlin; as yesterday the
>>battery was dead after sitting for 4 days....

>Isn't that something you should have mentioned in the first place?

If I had known when I first posted.

the fuse was blown so slight that I could only tell by an ohm meter on each of
the fuses...

There is a gremlin -- today the heater fan was going, then stopped suddenly and
would only run on "max" when turned to the max/indent -- but then it started
working right again...

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old February 6th 06, 05:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Amps across fuses are zero unless otherwise noted
values are miliamps

#1 .12
#7 .11
#10 7.4
#11 .02
#19 .01
#20 127.1 (NOTE: Started out at over 358, then settled down and remained
steady)
23-28 all had .01

The .01's all "wavered" from 0 to .01.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old February 6th 06, 02:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:43:09 -0800, Josh Assing > wrote:

>Amps across fuses are zero unless otherwise noted

"Amps across fuses", i.e. with an ammeter connected to both terminals of a fuse,
are always zero.

-- Larry

Old February 6th 06, 03:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article >,
pltrgyst > wrote:
> "Amps across fuses", i.e. with an ammeter connected to both terminals of
> a fuse, are always zero.

Nearly. ;-)

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>>Amps across fuses are zero unless otherwise noted
>
>"Amps across fuses", i.e. with an ammeter connected to both terminals of a fuse,
>are always zero.

Amps accross the terminals with the fuse removed.

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.