2 weird driving related local news stories in one day

Old December 28th 05, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default 2 weird driving related local news stories in one day

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...7childhit.html

and

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...sbadshoot.html

A little girl killed by her family SUV, while it was parked and they
were unloading groceries, and a transient throwing rocks at traffic on
I-5 who was shot to death. I really, really hope LBMHB was the
transient, but we'd never be that lucky. Even if it sounds like a
ranting tweaker, chances are it isn't with how often it can post.

The little girl thing just sounds weird, since her family stated the
SUV was parked and just spontaniously rolled back into her while they
were unloading it. The whole thing just sounds weird and unfortunate.
I lived a few blocks away for a few years, and have driven by that
house over a hundred times probably.

Any comments? Wait, this is r.a.d., I'm sure someone does.

Dave

Old December 28th 05, 06:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on 27 Dec 2005 21:32:16 -0800:

<snip>

> I really, really hope LBMHB was the
> transient, but we'd never be that lucky.

We can dream, though, can't we? ;-)

> The little girl thing just sounds weird, since her family stated the
> SUV was parked and just spontaniously rolled back into her while they
> were unloading it. The whole thing just sounds weird and unfortunate.
> I lived a few blocks away for a few years, and have driven by that
> house over a hundred times probably.

Not necessairly wierd. Maybe the transmission had some defect that
allowed it to slip out of park? IIRC, in the '70's didn't Ford have such
a problem when certain vehicles were parked on an incline?

Old December 28th 05, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

necromancer wrote:
> Dave, > was motivated to say this in
> rec.autos.driving on 27 Dec 2005 21:32:16 -0800:

>>The little girl thing just sounds weird, since her family stated the
>>SUV was parked and just spontaniously rolled back into her while they
>>were unloading it. The whole thing just sounds weird and unfortunate.
>>I lived a few blocks away for a few years, and have driven by that
>>house over a hundred times probably.

> Not necessairly wierd. Maybe the transmission had some defect that
> allowed it to slip out of park?

And the moral of the story is to always engage the parking brake after
stopping the car. Regardless of whether it was due to a transmission
defect or the driver forgot to put it in park, the vehicle is far less
likely to move.
Old December 28th 05, 06:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Arif Khokar wrote:
> necromancer wrote:
> > Dave, > was motivated to say this in
> > rec.autos.driving on 27 Dec 2005 21:32:16 -0800:

> >>The little girl thing just sounds weird, since her family stated the
> >>SUV was parked and just spontaniously rolled back into her while they
> >>were unloading it. The whole thing just sounds weird and unfortunate.
> >>I lived a few blocks away for a few years, and have driven by that
> >>house over a hundred times probably.

> > Not necessairly wierd. Maybe the transmission had some defect that
> > allowed it to slip out of park?

> And the moral of the story is to always engage the parking brake after
> stopping the car. Regardless of whether it was due to a transmission
> defect or the driver forgot to put it in park, the vehicle is far less
> likely to move.

Could you explain that to my boss? He's been annoyed when the parking
brake on a company owned vehicle has been left on by me, while parked.

Dave

Old December 28th 05, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>, Dave wrote:

> The little girl thing just sounds weird, since her family stated the
> SUV was parked and just spontaniously rolled back into her while they
> were unloading it. The whole thing just sounds weird and unfortunate.
> I lived a few blocks away for a few years, and have driven by that
> house over a hundred times probably.

Sounds like using the automatic transmission alone and not engaging the
parking brake. This is in turn uses the 'park' setting of the trans to
hold it on inclines. That can wear out a part of the trans which can
then fail.

Old December 28th 05, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc

On 27 Dec 2005 21:32:16 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...7childhit.html
>
>and
>
>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...sbadshoot.html
>
>A little girl killed by her family SUV, while it was parked and they
>were unloading groceries, and a transient throwing rocks at traffic on
>I-5 who was shot to death. I really, really hope LBMHB was the
>transient, but we'd never be that lucky. Even if it sounds like a
>ranting tweaker, chances are it isn't with how often it can post.

You mean a transient was shot and then the gun loonies made up the
story about him throwing rocks. The gun loonies are copying those air
marshalls down in miami a week ago who shot and killed that guy who
ran OFF the plane and then the marshalls made up a story about how the
guy said he had a bomb!!!!!!

>The little girl thing just sounds weird, since her family stated the
>SUV was parked and just spontaniously rolled back into her while they
>were unloading it. The whole thing just sounds weird and unfortunate.
>I lived a few blocks away for a few years, and have driven by that
>house over a hundred times probably.

I don't believe the story about the kid getting run over. You say you
know where the house is. Is there a real steep grade where they park
the SUV? I mean real steep otherwise i'm not buying it.
Old December 29th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 27 Dec 2005 21:32:16 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...7childhit.html

>SAN DIEGO – A young girl died after her family's sport utility vehicle rolled over
>her at their Mira Mesa home Tuesday afternoon, police said.
>
>The 3-year-old, identified as Mujdah Parwana, and her family had just arrived
>home on Brentford Avenue near Westonhill Drive at 12:05 p.m. and everyone
>had gotten out of the car except for a 2-year-old, said San Diego police
>
>Mujdah was standing behind the family's 2000 Toyota 4Runner with her mother
>and grandmother when the car started to roll backward and hit her, police said.

Hmm... Did Jilani forget to set the parking brake?

>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...sbadshoot.html

>The suspect – described as a man in his 20s with a beard, wearing a dark hooded
>sweatshirt, sunglasses and backpack – fled the scene, but was spotted by a
>Carlsbad police officer at 1:34 p.m. walking northbound in the southbound lanes
>of Interstate 5, Diamond said.
>
>The officer approached the suspect, who threatened the officer with a screwdriver,
>Diamond said. When the officer tried to back away, the suspect continued to walk
>toward the officer, forcing the officer to open fire, Diamond said.

If ever there was a justifiable police shooting, that one's gotta be
it.

Old December 29th 05, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 27 Dec 2005 22:21:33 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>Arif Khokar wrote:
>> necromancer wrote:
>> > Dave, > was motivated to say this in
>> > rec.autos.driving on 27 Dec 2005 21:32:16 -0800:

>> > Not necessairly wierd. Maybe the transmission had some defect that
>> > allowed it to slip out of park?

>> And the moral of the story is to always engage the parking brake after
>> stopping the car. Regardless of whether it was due to a transmission
>> defect or the driver forgot to put it in park, the vehicle is far less
>> likely to move.

>Could you explain that to my boss? He's been annoyed when the parking
>brake on a company owned vehicle has been left on by me, while parked.

What's your boss' name, and what's your business address? I'll be more
than happy to print out a copy of this thread and mail it to him...

Old December 29th 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2005 22:21:33 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:
>

> >Arif Khokar wrote:

> >> And the moral of the story is to always engage the parking brake after
> >> stopping the car. Regardless of whether it was due to a transmission
> >> defect or the driver forgot to put it in park, the vehicle is far less
> >> likely to move.

> >Could you explain that to my boss? He's been annoyed when the parking
> >brake on a company owned vehicle has been left on by me, while parked.

> What's your boss' name, and what's your business address? I'll be more
> than happy to print out a copy of this thread and mail it to him...

This morning, when I asked him if he saw the story on the news he
immediately said, "Okay, now I see why you set the parking brake."

It's also come out that the girls 2 year old brother was still in the
car, and may have accidentally released the parking brake or
transmission. No official word yet though.

Dave

Old December 29th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:

>>Mujdah was standing behind the family's 2000 Toyota 4Runner with her mother
>>and grandmother when the car started to roll backward and hit her, police said.

>Hmm... Did Jilani forget to set the parking brake?

As in this story:
<http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2005/12/04/man_sues_car_maker_dealer_in_wifes_death/>

Unattended car left running, somebody reaches in, car moves, obviously
no jury would refuse to say it was Ford's fault. Oh, and the fault of
the dealer, because two deep pockets are better than one.

--
John Carr )

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM
Are japs controlling the Blue Ribbon Coalition? Sportsmen Against Bush 4x4 6 December 20th 03 03:58 AM