LW300 BCM failures

Old November 1st 05, 01:34 PM
Dana Rohleder

Default LW300 BCM failures

Last week, on a 600 mile trip, I began to notice that every 10 minutes or
so, the tach would drop to 0, and the SES light & service (wrench) light
would come on simultaneously for about 1-2 seconds, and then return to
normal. Over the entire trip, this happened about 20 times. The car would
show no signs of loss of power, and no lights illuminated at any other time.
The remainder of the week, it drove normally, and no lights came on during
short drives.

I took it into the Saturn dealership yesterday and just as I pulled in the
service entrance, my ABS light came on and the service wrench flashed. They
diagnosed a failed Body Control Module (BCM) and promptly removed $423 from
my pocket ($279 Parts, $144 Labor).

The vehicle has 63k miles on it, and the warranty is out. Can I get a show
of hands of others that have had BCM failures? Over the years, it seems this
was a fairly common problem in the group, and I'm trying to figure out if I
can get Saturn to take responsibility for the part if they are very prone to
failure.
--
Dana
Port Kent, NY

2002 Saturn LW300
93 Jeep YJ - I4 - 125k mi.
90 Jeep XJ Ltd. - I6 - 145k mi.
---------------
95 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee 4dr
76 Cherokee 2dr

Old November 7th 05, 01:15 AM
Oppie

I bought my '01 lw300 with 40K on it through saturn.
About a week after I got the car, noticed that the ABS light did not come on
at key on. They poo-poo'ed it and I held my ground (what the heck, I only
got a 90 day warranty). Tech did find something questionable, showed it to
the sales manager who grumbled and walked away (service cost came out of his
commission). They did put in a new BCM and programmed it - all under
warranty (whew).

Now, if I can only fix the darn brake light that keeps going out (supposed
to be a recall that never happened). Also, the rear dome light is
intermittant. Looks like a harness problem.
Oppie

Old November 7th 05, 02:31 AM
Dana Rohleder

The recall for the taillight is is Recall# 05V245000. I just had it done
last week.
DCR

Old November 7th 05, 03:41 AM
Oppie

That is good to hear, Thanks.
Did you get a recall notice or did you take the first move? Any idea *what*
the fix involves?

At this point, I have the NY state inspection due next month, will likely
have them take care of it all when I take it in.

Old November 7th 05, 02:03 PM
Dana Rohleder

I just took it in for an oil change and they told me they were going to do
it. I didn't receive a letter like I did for the seat belt recall. They said
they changed some brackets and circuit boards(?). I know they have had
voltage regulation problems causing the socket area to melt if your brake
lights are on too long, or something like that. Most of my driving up here
in the Adirondacks is highway, so I don't use the brakes much.

I believe your dome light issues could be due to the BCM, as it controls
virtually all interior lights & switches. Rule out the wiring first, but if
something doesn't make sense, it is likely rooted in the BCM. My suspicion
is that the voltage regulation problems these cars have with pulsing
headlights and instrument lights, hot turn signal switches, melting tail
lights, fuel gauge problems, etc, etc, is either a result of faulty BCM's
causing the voltage problems, or the various voltage problems are ruining
the BCM's. I am going to hold onto my receipt for the BCM bill and pursue
the issue with Saturn.
--
Dana Rohleder
Port Kent, NY

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB/GYN's
aren't able to practice their love with women all across the country." -
G.W. Bush, Sept. 6, 2004, Poplar Bluff, Mo.

Old November 7th 05, 06:15 PM
Art

On many cars a bad ground or bad battery can cause all kinds of issues.

Old November 25th 05, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I have a 2001 LW300 with ~74300 miles. Back in March '05 I had a
crankshaft position sensor fail and had it replaced. Then in June '05
there were "issues" and I was told that the system was found out of
calibration (which I had to pay ~$100 to recalibrate) and they did and
engine oil flush. Then in Nov '05 (car is still currently at dealer
being "repaired") I had the following all happen at once: BCM (body
control module) failed, Mass air flow sensor failed, oil cooler leaking
and a failed battery (which I bought from them Aug '04). The repairs
for this last trip were estimated at ~$1600 (They were only going to
replace the battery under warranty). When I expressed concern at so
many items failing all at once they lowered the price of the oil cooler
leak repair to $500 (was $960). Then I called Saturn and they "worked
with the dealer" and lowered the total cost of repair to $992. However,
I still feel that there is something fundamentally wrong with the car
and that they are only repairing the symtpoms of a bigger problem.
Otherwise, could someone explain to me how two sensors and a computer
module fail on one car (that is 5 years old and at ~74300 miles) in
less than a year? It's a stationwagon for crying out loud... not like I
drag race it or take it off road! Ever since I've had the car I have
numerous "SES lights" and service lights, etc. popping on every so
often, mostly to be told that "It was just a misfire... we've cleared
the codes and reset the system".... Bull. I think Saturn needs to
address the BCM issues at the very least.

Rockville, MD

Cherokee power window failures...has yours failed yet? Gerald Cooper Jeep 20 August 7th 05 01:35 PM
LW300 cruise control surging Oppie Saturn 0 December 31st 04 12:40 AM
SES light came on, lw300 Oppie Saturn 5 August 28th 04 07:54 PM
LW300 feeling its oats Oppie Saturn 5 May 19th 04 01:22 PM
LW300 Oil change Oppie Saturn 7 May 17th 04 11:45 PM