Pine sap - argh!

Old September 7th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

Default Pine sap - argh!

I have a beautiful tall pine tree that overhangs the driveway.
Unfortunately, that means billowing clouds of pollen in the spring and pine
sap dripping from May through August.

I've just taken all of the drips off of the paint and glass on both
Mustangs, but I'm not sure what to do for the cloth convertible top. It's
not a good look, but I don't think I want to use the fingernail polish
remover on the cloth (works like a charm on the paint, though). Is there
anything I can do for the top, other than a lot of scrubbing with a soft
floor brush and mild Ivory Snow solution?

And that pine tree's got to go. Jean wants it gone, because it's so close to
the house, but I want it gone so I don't have to do my annual sap removal...

dwight
www.tfrog.com

Old September 7th 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

dwight wrote:
> I have a beautiful tall pine tree that overhangs the driveway.
> Unfortunately, that means billowing clouds of pollen in the spring and
> pine sap dripping from May through August.
>
> I've just taken all of the drips off of the paint and glass on both
> Mustangs, but I'm not sure what to do for the cloth convertible top.
> It's not a good look, but I don't think I want to use the fingernail
> polish remover on the cloth (works like a charm on the paint, though).
> Is there anything I can do for the top, other than a lot of scrubbing
> with a soft floor brush and mild Ivory Snow solution?
>
> And that pine tree's got to go. Jean wants it gone, because it's so
> close to the house, but I want it gone so I don't have to do my annual
> sap removal...
>
> dwight
> www.tfrog.com

Just don't replace it with crap myrtles....

--

"You may have noticed that I continue to use the term
'open-carry' rather than "OC" This is avoid confusion

Old September 8th 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
bob

"WindsorFox<[SS]>" > wrote in message
> dwight wrote:
>> I have a beautiful tall pine tree that overhangs the driveway.
>> Unfortunately, that means billowing clouds of pollen in the spring and
>> pine sap dripping from May through August.
>>
>> I've just taken all of the drips off of the paint and glass on both
>> Mustangs, but I'm not sure what to do for the cloth convertible top. It's
>> not a good look, but I don't think I want to use the fingernail polish
>> remover on the cloth (works like a charm on the paint, though). Is there
>> anything I can do for the top, other than a lot of scrubbing with a soft
>> floor brush and mild Ivory Snow solution?
>>
>> And that pine tree's got to go. Jean wants it gone, because it's so close
>> to the house, but I want it gone so I don't have to do my annual sap
>> removal...
>>
>> dwight
>> www.tfrog.com
>>

> Just don't replace it with crap myrtles....

put a metal roof over it, they are cheap.

Old September 12th 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John Verdi[_2_]

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant - a garage would solve the problem
and the tree could stay.

Shelby_1

Old September 13th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"John Verdi" > wrote in message
> At the risk of sounding totally ignorant - a garage would solve the
> problem and the tree could stay.
>
> Shelby_1

I have plenty of pines, but only one driveway. Two-car garage - Jean gets
one bay for her Escape, and I get the other for one of my two Mustangs. That
puts one outside with my daughter's car. Hers is also covered with pine
drippings, but neither one of us cares enough about that '99 Mystique to do
anything about it. )

The tree is about 10 feet off of the corner of the house, and my wife has
been worried about it since the day we moved in. I've been defending the
tree's right to exist, but it repays me by sapping up my cars and dropping
pine cones like so many turds on my driveway. Now that we've decided that
TFrog finally gets its overdue paint job in the Spring, it's time for the
tree to go.

My only questions now are what to use on the pine sap on the cloth
convertible top and what kind of plantings to use where the pine tree used
to be.

dwight

Old September 13th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

dwight wrote:

> "John Verdi" > wrote in message
>> At the risk of sounding totally ignorant - a garage would solve the
>> problem and the tree could stay.
>>
>> Shelby_1

> I have plenty of pines, but only one driveway. Two-car garage - Jean
> gets one bay for her Escape, and I get the other for one of my two
> Mustangs. That puts one outside with my daughter's car. Hers is also
> covered with pine drippings, but neither one of us cares enough about
> that '99 Mystique to do anything about it. )
>
> The tree is about 10 feet off of the corner of the house, and my wife
> has been worried about it since the day we moved in. I've been defending
> the tree's right to exist, but it repays me by sapping up my cars and
> dropping pine cones like so many turds on my driveway. Now that we've
> decided that TFrog finally gets its overdue paint job in the Spring,
> it's time for the tree to go.
>
> My only questions now are what to use on the pine sap on the cloth
> convertible top and what kind of plantings to use where the pine tree
> used to be.
>
> dwight

Turpentine should get the sap off and then whatever you would use as
car wash to remove leftover turpentine. A river birch is pretty
innocuous, don't get huge, don't fall apart and don't drop a lot of
stuff other than some bark that you could use for Christmas cards.

Old September 14th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sep 7, 6:12 am, "dwight" > wrote:
> Is there
> anything I can do for the top, other than a lot of scrubbing with a soft
> floor brush and mild Ivory Snow solution?

I would attempt a two stage approach: put some drops of oil (food
grade, not engine oil, I would use olive oil) and rub; I would then
remove the oil/sap using dish soap. The theory behind this is that
the oil would dilute the sap, and the dish soap being good at removing
oily substances would clean up the mess. I successfully use this to
remove stickers from CD jewel cases, but before applying this
technique to cloth I would attempt it first on a non conspicuous
portion. I don't think neither component is harmful to the cloth, but
you never know.

Paolo
Old September 15th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John Verdi[_2_]

A great product for any sticky, gummy mess is called "Goo Gone". It is
available at most supermarkets/WalMart. It is an orange gel that tends to
stay where you spray it.

"Frank ess" > wrote in message

>> On Sep 7, 6:12 am, "dwight" > wrote:
>>> Is there
>>> anything I can do for the top, other than a lot of scrubbing with
>>> a soft floor brush and mild Ivory Snow solution?

>> I would attempt a two stage approach: put some drops of oil (food
>> grade, not engine oil, I would use olive oil) and rub; I would then
>> remove the oil/sap using dish soap. The theory behind this is that
>> the oil would dilute the sap, and the dish soap being good at
>> removing oily substances would clean up the mess. I successfully
>> use this to remove stickers from CD jewel cases, but before
>> applying this technique to cloth I would attempt it first on a non
>> conspicuous portion. I don't think neither component is harmful to
>> the cloth, but you never know.
>>
>> Paolo

> I wonder about using Spray 'n' Wash. It relies on enzymes to eat the
> organic stuff in stains. Probably release the stickum in pine sap as it
> does in decals and such. Harmless to fabrics, I bet.
>
> --
> Frank ess

Argh! Looks like I need a new radiator SteveH Alfa Romeo 5 June 11th 07 09:44 PM
Argh! SteveH Alfa Romeo 11 March 3rd 07 10:11 PM
not starting.. argh! Josh Assing BMW 10 February 6th 06 04:40 PM
Argh! Decisions...... SteveH Alfa Romeo 4 October 27th 05 12:54 PM
Argh....I have to sell her. Anthony VW air cooled 21 February 9th 05 03:53 AM