Consumers Reports Seeks Bailout

Old December 10th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Comments4u

Default Consumers Reports Seeks Bailout

The line of companies willing to beg for money from Congress has just grown
longer. Consumers Reports has requested a Congressional bail out hearing.
In its petition, Consumers Reports cites the costs of massive restructuring
due to circumstances totally beyond its control. Consumers Reports claims
that since it doesn't take advertising, it is the only unbiased source of
product information available to consumers, and thus has a vital role that
must be preserved.

The magazine's anticipated restructuring costs are due to the impending
demise of GM, Ford, and Chrysler. With those companies gone, and only
foreign cars to rate, CRs reliability ratings will indicate a statistical
impossibility: all vehicles are better than average.

It was originally thought the data could be adjusted at minimal cost using
standard statistical methodology so an appropriate number of vehicles would
be rated below average. However CR learned standard statistical
methodology cannot be used to ajust data not compiled using standard
statistical methodology.

The compilation of CRs reliability data starts when someone subscribes to
the magazine. They then read an article in CR on the vehicle they own
which tells them whether its good or bad. Then they receive the
reliability questionaire, which they answer according to the CR article.

"Somehow we have to get some vehicles rated below average", said CR
spokesman Justin Jest "but we can't just produce a bunch of negative
articles on foreign vehicles over night. It takes time. And money. We
need and deserve government help. This problem is not of our making"

Initially, negative articles are planned on the companies formerly
associated with the Detroit automakers, Isuzu, Mazda, and Mitsubishi. A
template for the articles has already been prepared. "Estimated
reliability is suspect, as <Isuzu/Mazda/Mitsubishi> was formerly associated
with <GM/Ford/Chrysler>." But still, that won't be enough as these
companies have minimal market share.

"They're going to have to take aim at one of the big boys to get the
numbers" said Joseph Camel of the Brand Research Institute. "They're
counting on India's Tata Motors coming to America, but while that will give
them the bottom end, the numbers will be too small."

Mr. Camel thinks Kia is the only possible target. When asked if perhaps
Toyota or Honda might be a better target for lower reliability ratings, Mr.
Jest responded "No, we have a policy at CR against attacking people's
religion".
Old December 10th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave

"Comments4u" > wrote in message
> The line of companies willing to beg for money from Congress has just
> grown
> longer. Consumers Reports has requested a Congressional bail out hearing.
> In its petition, Consumers Reports cites the costs of massive
> restructuring
> due to circumstances totally beyond its control. Consumers Reports claims
> that since it doesn't take advertising, it is the only unbiased source of
> product information available to consumers, and thus has a vital role that
> must be preserved.
>
> The magazine's anticipated restructuring costs are due to the impending
> demise of GM, Ford, and Chrysler. With those companies gone, and only
> foreign cars to rate, CRs reliability ratings will indicate a statistical
> impossibility: all vehicles are better than average.
>
> It was originally thought the data could be adjusted at minimal cost using
> standard statistical methodology so an appropriate number of vehicles
> would
> be rated below average. However CR learned standard statistical
> methodology cannot be used to ajust data not compiled using standard
> statistical methodology.
>
> The compilation of CRs reliability data starts when someone subscribes to
> the magazine. They then read an article in CR on the vehicle they own
> which tells them whether its good or bad. Then they receive the
> reliability questionaire, which they answer according to the CR article.
>
> "Somehow we have to get some vehicles rated below average", said CR
> spokesman Justin Jest "but we can't just produce a bunch of negative
> articles on foreign vehicles over night. It takes time. And money. We
> need and deserve government help. This problem is not of our making"
>
> Initially, negative articles are planned on the companies formerly
> associated with the Detroit automakers, Isuzu, Mazda, and Mitsubishi. A
> template for the articles has already been prepared. "Estimated
> reliability is suspect, as <Isuzu/Mazda/Mitsubishi> was formerly
> associated
> with <GM/Ford/Chrysler>." But still, that won't be enough as these
> companies have minimal market share.
>
> "They're going to have to take aim at one of the big boys to get the
> numbers" said Joseph Camel of the Brand Research Institute. "They're
> counting on India's Tata Motors coming to America, but while that will
> give
> them the bottom end, the numbers will be too small."
>
> Mr. Camel thinks Kia is the only possible target. When asked if perhaps
> Toyota or Honda might be a better target for lower reliability ratings,
> Mr.
> Jest responded "No, we have a policy at CR against attacking people's
> religion".

Cute. -Dave

Old December 10th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
dan

Comments4u wrote:
> The line of companies willing to beg for money from Congress has just grown
> longer. Consumers Reports has requested a Congressional bail out hearing.

Very funny! Who will be next to ask for handouts? The Salvation Army?

dan
Old December 11th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave

"dan" > wrote in message
.. .
> Comments4u wrote:
>> The line of companies willing to beg for money from Congress has just
>> grown
>> longer. Consumers Reports has requested a Congressional bail out hearing.
>>

> Very funny! Who will be next to ask for handouts? The Salvation Army?
>
> dan

I predict...Microsoft. Bill Gates Will drive from Seattle to D.C.
personally to plead that software pirates and funny Mac commercials have cut
into his profits severely, and Microsoft can not meet their profit goals
without Trillions of dollars of government bailout money to keep the
shareholders happy. -Dave

Old December 11th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
necromancer[_4_]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:37:30 GMT, dan > wrote:

>Comments4u wrote:
>> The line of companies willing to beg for money from Congress has just grown
>> longer. Consumers Reports has requested a Congressional bail out hearing.
>>

>Very funny! Who will be next to ask for handouts? The Salvation Army?

My bet would be on the catholic church - all those perverted preachers
of theirs, you know....

--
"Here comes another con hiding behind a collar
His only God is the all mighty Dollar
Old December 11th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:22:46 -0500, Comments4u wrote:

> The line of companies willing to beg for money from Congress has just
> grown longer. Consumers Reports has requested a Congressional bail out
> hearing. In its petition, Consumers Reports cites the costs of massive
> restructuring due to circumstances totally beyond its control.
> Consumers Reports claims that since it doesn't take advertising, it is
> the only unbiased source of product information available to consumers,
> and thus has a vital role that must be preserved.
>
> The magazine's anticipated restructuring costs are due to the impending
> demise of GM, Ford, and Chrysler. With those companies gone, and only
> foreign cars to rate, CRs reliability ratings will indicate a
> statistical impossibility: all vehicles are better than average.
>
> It was originally thought the data could be adjusted at minimal cost
> using standard statistical methodology so an appropriate number of
> vehicles would be rated below average. However CR learned standard
> statistical methodology cannot be used to ajust data not compiled using
> standard statistical methodology.
>
> The compilation of CRs reliability data starts when someone subscribes
> to the magazine. They then read an article in CR on the vehicle they
> own which tells them whether its good or bad. Then they receive the
> reliability questionaire, which they answer according to the CR article.
>
> "Somehow we have to get some vehicles rated below average", said CR
> spokesman Justin Jest "but we can't just produce a bunch of negative
> articles on foreign vehicles over night. It takes time. And money. We
> need and deserve government help. This problem is not of our making"
>
> Initially, negative articles are planned on the companies formerly
> associated with the Detroit automakers, Isuzu, Mazda, and Mitsubishi. A
> template for the articles has already been prepared. "Estimated
> reliability is suspect, as <Isuzu/Mazda/Mitsubishi> was formerly
> associated with <GM/Ford/Chrysler>." But still, that won't be enough as
> these companies have minimal market share.
>
> "They're going to have to take aim at one of the big boys to get the
> numbers" said Joseph Camel of the Brand Research Institute. "They're
> counting on India's Tata Motors coming to America, but while that will
> give them the bottom end, the numbers will be too small."
>
> Mr. Camel thinks Kia is the only possible target. When asked if perhaps
> Toyota or Honda might be a better target for lower reliability ratings,
> Mr. Jest responded "No, we have a policy at CR against attacking
> people's religion".

funny.
Old December 11th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Hunter[_2_]

Could they not just continue the statistical MYTHOLOGY they are currently
using? To correct the so called 'below average' thing why not simply state
the PERCENTAGE of failure rate that is actually what the current ratings are
reflecting?

Come to think of it, that would not work. Subscribers would wise up and no
longer subscribe if they realize what CR is showing as a 'list' is actually
showing that ALL manufactures vehicles are falling within the standard
statistical methodology of the 2% failure rate for ALL manufactured products

Old December 11th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Lloyd[_2_]

On Dec 11, 3:36*pm, "Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com> wrote:
> Could they not just continue the statistical MYTHOLOGY they are currently
> using? *To correct the so called 'below average' thing why not simply state
> the PERCENTAGE of failure rate that is actually what the current ratings are
> reflecting?
>
> Come to think of it, that would not work. *Subscribers would wise up and no
> longer subscribe if they realize what CR is showing as a 'list' is actually
> showing that ALL manufactures vehicles are falling within the standard
> statistical methodology of the 2% failure rate for ALL manufactured products

Why don't you READ CR's explanation of their analysis before spouting
off and looking stupid?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ity-faq_ov.htm
Old December 11th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Hunter[_2_]

Search 'standard statistical methodology' and get back to us, dummy. It
can not be stated accurately as a 'list.'

Old December 11th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw,alt.auto.mercedes,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
larry moe 'n curly

Mike Hunter wrote:

> Could they not just continue the statistical MYTHOLOGY they are currently
> using? To correct the so called 'below average' thing why not simply state
> the PERCENTAGE of failure rate that is actually what the current ratings are
> reflecting?

CR does show the percentages of failures, but you have to look at the
very beginning of their tables to see them.

> Come to think of it, that would not work. Subscribers would wise up and no
> longer subscribe if they realize what CR is showing as a 'list' is actually
> showing that ALL manufactures vehicles are falling within the standard
> statistical methodology of the 2% failure rate for ALL manufactured products

But all cars don't fall within that range, and the differences in
reliability increase with age:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/...71d9a42f_o.jpg

How do you explain that?