Is Supercharging Safe for the motor

Old March 2nd 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Is Supercharging Safe for the motor

"90miataca" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yeah the engines do seem to hold up. Mine of course gave up the ghost,
> but it was the short crank and not the engine. The lady that lives
> across from me has one with a little over 700,000 KMs and it was still
> running okay until just before the new year...hard to believe eh?

I'm just trying to imagine even attempting to do 700,000km in the UK!!! My
GPS tells me that from the very tip of Scotland to the very toe of England
it's 1334 km. In order to rack up that many km, you'd have to drive up and
down the entire length of the country just under 525 times.

The mind boggles at the monotony of all that driving - even in an MX5!!

Eric

Old March 2nd 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E wrote:
> "90miataca" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>
> > The lady that lives across from me has one with a little over
> > 700,000 KMs and it was still running okay until just before the
> > new year...

> So what happened "just before the new year"? Did it die or did she
> sell it or????

She still has it, determined that shes going to get it running again
this summer. I'm trying to buy it of her as its always good to have
some extra parts + it has a hardtop of which mine is lacking. It would
have been nice to have it for the winter, but hopefully I'll get it off
her eventually. The car was repaired at a local shop and then died on
the way home so I think there is no chance of it being fixed again but
you never know...

Old March 2nd 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Yeah well when you have Canada and the States right there within reach
its not a ton. A friend of my dad has a 300 TD from the early 80s that
has a little over 1 million, and again its also falling apart but those
diesels last forever...

Old March 2nd 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Eric Baber" > wrote:

> I'm just trying to imagine even attempting to do 700,000km in the UK!!! My
> GPS tells me that from the very tip of Scotland to the very toe of England
> it's 1334 km. In order to rack up that many km, you'd have to drive up and
> down the entire length of the country just under 525 times.

OTOH, at 20.8 km per lap, a German MX-5 would need just 33,654 circuits
of the Nordschliefe. Piece of cake.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old March 2nd 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:25:07 -0000, "Eric Baber"
> wrote:

>"90miataca" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Yeah the engines do seem to hold up. Mine of course gave up the ghost,
>> but it was the short crank and not the engine. The lady that lives
>> across from me has one with a little over 700,000 KMs and it was still
>> running okay until just before the new year...hard to believe eh?

>I'm just trying to imagine even attempting to do 700,000km in the UK!!! My
>GPS tells me that from the very tip of Scotland to the very toe of England
>it's 1334 km. In order to rack up that many km, you'd have to drive up and
>down the entire length of the country just under 525 times.
>
>The mind boggles at the monotony of all that driving - even in an MX5!!
>
>Eric

I would be tempted to say *especially in an MX-5", but that's just a
question of individual preference.

Driving distances are greater in the US. 1334 Km is 828 miles, roughly
the distance of a round trip between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Mind you I wouldn't want to make that trip 525 times either.