2009 honda accord coupe alloy wheels

Old February 14th 09, 01:37 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
newbie[_3_]

Default 2009 honda accord coupe alloy wheels

I'm considering buying a new 2009 accord coupe with the standard alloy
wheels. Never having owned alloy wheels what are alloy wheels? Is it
recommended to get wheel locks for these? Do these wheels usually get
stolen without the wheel locks? I live near Houston, Texas.
Old February 14th 09, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
E. Meyer

On 2/14/09 7:37 AM, in article ,
"newbie" <newbie> wrote:

> I'm considering buying a new 2009 accord coupe with the standard alloy
> wheels. Never having owned alloy wheels what are alloy wheels? Is it
> recommended to get wheel locks for these? Do these wheels usually get
> stolen without the wheel locks? I live near Houston, Texas.

They are made of a metal alloy rather than steel. Advantages include less
unsprung weight which translates into slightly better mileage.

Do they need wheel locks? The professional thieves have the wherewithal to
readily defeat the locks. They might slow down the teenage amateurs for a
little while. I remember from when I lived in Houston that anything not
nailed down and guarded with a shotgun was fair game, so wheel locks might
help, but its more likely they would just take the whole car.

I'll bet the dealers automatically put them on all the cars on their lots &
then try to sell them with the car at significantly above retail markup.
All the dealers around Dallas do this. Since this is sorta sleazy, I always
tell them I don't want the locks and won't pay for them. In every case (4
new cars so far) they just give them to me as part of the deal.

Old February 14th 09, 04:24 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_2_]

> "newbie" <newbie> wrote:

> what are alloy wheels?

The rims are made of aluminum metal alloy, of a proprietary recipe.

> Is it recommended to get wheel locks for these?

Yes, I would install wheel locks.

> Do these wheels usually get stolen without the wheel locks?

If someone needs them yes.

"E. Meyer" wrote:

> I'll bet the dealers automatically put them on all the cars on their lots &
> then try to sell them with the car at significantly above retail markup.

This is sad but true.
A local (south bay) So. Cal dealer tried to charge a friend's daughter $500
for a set of wheel locks.
Locks like this:
http://payments.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...I BSA:US:1160

Will stop the amateur and are something you can install yourself, if you're
so inclined.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old February 14th 09, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:35:35 +0000, E. Meyer wrote:

> On 2/14/09 7:37 AM, in article
> , "newbie" <newbie> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering buying a new 2009 accord coupe with the standard alloy
>> wheels. Never having owned alloy wheels what are alloy wheels? Is it
>> recommended to get wheel locks for these? Do these wheels usually get
>> stolen without the wheel locks? I live near Houston, Texas.

> They are made of a metal alloy rather than steel.

make that typically "aluminum alloy" - steel is a metal alloy.

> Advantages include
> less unsprung weight which translates into slightly better mileage.

indeed, but the mileage thing is somewhat debatable. steady cruising, the
weight differential makes no difference, it's only on acceleration that
reduced mass means anything.

the op is more likely to notice a difference in the way the car rides
because of unsprung weight as you say, but again, there's a trade-off -
steel wheels, while slightly heavier, are more springy, and thus, same
tire, same vehicle, are a slightly softer ride. alloys, correspondingly,
are stiffer and thus more "sporty".

> Do they need wheel locks? The professional thieves have the wherewithal
> to readily defeat the locks. They might slow down the teenage amateurs
> for a little while. I remember from when I lived in Houston that
> anything not nailed down and guarded with a shotgun was fair game, so
> wheel locks might help, but its more likely they would just take the
> whole car.
>
> I'll bet the dealers automatically put them on all the cars on their
> lots & then try to sell them with the car at significantly above retail
> markup. All the dealers around Dallas do this. Since this is sorta
> sleazy, I always tell them I don't want the locks and won't pay for
> them. In every case (4 new cars so far) they just give them to me as
> part of the deal.

indeed - so-called locks are useless and easily defeated with one of these:

http://www.autobarn.net/emlugnutrem.html

Old February 14th 09, 04:38 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 07:37:57 -0600, newbie <newbie> wrote:
>I'm considering buying a new 2009 accord coupe with the standard alloy
>wheels. Never having owned alloy wheels what are alloy wheels? Is it

which word don't you understand?

Old February 14th 09, 05:19 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee[_2_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> indeed - so-called locks are useless and easily defeated with one of
> these:
>
> http://www.autobarn.net/emlugnutrem.html

Or simpler - when a friend was stranded on the freeway with a flat tire and
no lug nut lock socket, I called my local Discount Tire. They told me the
method they use in that situation: drive on a socket that is slightly
smaller than the lock and remove the lock with a regular socket handle. None
of the pieces are recognized as "burglar tools." It was about as quick as
using the proper unlock socket except it destroyed the lock.

I agree - the usual locks are completely worthless.

Mike

Old February 14th 09, 08:58 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
BobJ

newbie wrote:
> I'm considering buying a new 2009 accord coupe with the standard alloy
> wheels. Never having owned alloy wheels what are alloy wheels? Is it
> recommended to get wheel locks for these? Do these wheels usually get
> stolen without the wheel locks? I live near Houston, Texas.

If your roads are anything like those in Houston, you'll
probably beat the rims to death anyway. If they have those
low, low profile tires, it will ride like a truck, to boot.
Old February 14th 09, 10:42 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:44:46 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

> jim beam > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:35:35 +0000, E. Meyer wrote:

>>> They are made of a metal alloy rather than steel.

>> make that typically "aluminum alloy" - steel is a metal alloy.
>>

>>> Advantages include
>>> less unsprung weight which translates into slightly better mileage.

>> indeed, but the mileage thing is somewhat debatable. steady cruising,
>> the weight differential makes no difference, it's only on acceleration
>> that reduced mass means anything.
>>
>> the op is more likely to notice a difference in the way the car rides
>> because of unsprung weight as you say, but again, there's a trade-off -
>> steel wheels, while slightly heavier, are more springy, and thus, same
>> tire, same vehicle, are a slightly softer ride. alloys,
>> correspondingly, are stiffer and thus more "sporty".
>>

> you really think steel wheels are "more springy" ? and thus give a
> "softer ride"?

yes, i really think - i've messed about with this stuff.

> OTOH,steel wheels don't crack if you hit a pothole.

nor do expensive forged aluminum - it's only cheapo cast stuff that
cracks. academic tho - still can't straighten them. but you can at least
limp home.

Old February 14th 09, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
News

Tegger wrote:
> "E. Meyer" > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 2/14/09 7:37 AM, in article
>> , "newbie" <newbie> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm considering buying a new 2009 accord coupe with the standard
>>> alloy wheels. Never having owned alloy wheels what are alloy wheels?
>>> Is it recommended to get wheel locks for these? Do these wheels
>>> usually get stolen without the wheel locks? I live near Houston,
>>> Texas.

>> They are made of a metal alloy rather than steel. Advantages include
>> less unsprung weight which translates into slightly better mileage.

> Lower unspring weight is supposed to mean better ride and handling, not
> mileage.
>
> Theoretically, a lighter wheel assembly means the suspension can more
> quickly and effectively control road wheel movements with less transfer
> of motion to the body.
>
> However, I'm not sure the actual weight differential between steel and
> aluminum is enough to make a real difference, so I think the purpose of
> aluminum wheels is primarily cosmetic enhancement. Certainly the
> suspension is the same whether the wheels are steel or aluminum. The
> wheel/tire assembly weighs approximately 30-35 lbs.

Then you typically throw on the much wider tires and the combined weight
exceeds the weight of steelies and OEM tires.

Looks cooler and may perform better, though...
Old February 14th 09, 10:57 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

jim beam > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 22:23:48 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>

>> Lower unspring weight is supposed to mean better ride and handling,
>> not mileage.

> in theory, lower weight takes less energy to spin up, thus lower
> weight wheels can be used for better economy. the vx and hx civics
> use the lightest weight alloy wheels of any stock civic wheels. real
> hard to detect in fuel consumption tho.

I'd think the added cost of aluminum wheels would far outweigh any savings
in gas. But then again, if the car came with aluminum wheels as standard,
you'd have no added costs...

> makes more difference to
> performance when you're trying to shave pounds for the 1/4 mile.

Now that I find more realistic. Racers do have to be fanatical when looking
for that extra thousandth of a second.

I even had one guy (a track racer) tell me he was convinced he gained a few
milliseconds just from waxing his race car. His reasoning was that a waxed
car presents a slicker surface to the air, thus reducing drag. No idea if
he was right or not, but that's what he told me.

>> In practice, locks do help slow thieves down a bit.

> not around these parts. wide availability of battery powered impact
> drivers have seen to that.

The relentless advance of technology renders my info out of date!

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/