Dead 159

Old November 28th 09, 12:13 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

Default Dead 159

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:59:40 +0000, (SteveH)
wrote:

>See that bit about torque?

These days, unless a petrol engine is blown, multi-valve heads and
short stroke engines have eliminated 'torque' from the petrolheads
vocabulary! Even the V6 Alfa petrol engine was no torque monster.

>And there's also the warble of a 5-pot.

Having joined the dark side, I still prefer the more consistently
tuneful note the Alfa 5 pot had when on the move to the vastly more
refined, quieter but more variable tune the BMW 6 plays. It's like a
boy who's voice is breaking compared to a very hairy chested Italian
baritone. The Alfa does sound like a fishing boat's winch (a good
description from an early 156 review) at very low revs or idle though.

>It's not all about V-engined cock extensions you know ;-)

I used to lust after V engines but now I'm a bit sold on the inherent
balance of a straight 6 and, presumably by extension, a V12. I always
thought that the Alfa 5 pot in the 156 wasn't a particularly well
balanced engine. That just adds to it's hairy chested character
though.

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old November 28th 09, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:59:40 +0000, (SteveH)
> wrote:
>
>> See that bit about torque?

> These days, unless a petrol engine is blown, multi-valve heads and
> short stroke engines have eliminated 'torque' from the petrolheads
> vocabulary! Even the V6 Alfa petrol engine was no torque monster.
>
>> And there's also the warble of a 5-pot.

> Having joined the dark side, I still prefer the more consistently
> tuneful note the Alfa 5 pot had when on the move to the vastly more
> refined, quieter but more variable tune the BMW 6 plays. It's like a
> boy who's voice is breaking compared to a very hairy chested Italian
> baritone. The Alfa does sound like a fishing boat's winch (a good
> description from an early 156 review) at very low revs or idle though.
>
>> It's not all about V-engined cock extensions you know ;-)

> I used to lust after V engines but now I'm a bit sold on the inherent
> balance of a straight 6 and, presumably by extension, a V12. I always
> thought that the Alfa 5 pot in the 156 wasn't a particularly well
> balanced engine. That just adds to it's hairy chested character
> though.

So what you're saying is, I need a V12. Thanks

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old November 29th 09, 03:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 16:09:04 +0000, Catman
> wrote:

>Thanks

Pleasure!

E30 still dead Matthew Warren BMW 4 April 19th 06 03:10 PM
1996 Integra dash clock dead, head unit dead Chewy Honda 1 March 20th 06 01:16 AM
NSR Dead, I think not.. mike Simulators 7 February 25th 06 04:12 AM
1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery getjer1 Saturn 10 November 18th 05 04:05 AM
Dead car Lee3333 Saturn 2 August 27th 04 02:16 AM