Right Rear Axle Shaft Bearing Questions '88 XJ Dana 35

Old August 3rd 05, 12:31 PM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default Right Rear Axle Shaft Bearing Questions '88 XJ Dana 35

I pulled my right side rear axle shaft out of the rear end. Something was
making a strange grinding noise which would get louder if I turned to the
left and would quiet down if I turned to the right.

Well the bearing looks beautiful, but I will have to grease it some how, but
here are my questions.

1. Is the outer race, the one that fits inside of the rear axle, supposed
to come off of the rear axle? I mean I just used 2 fingers and it easily
came out.
2. The inner seal is broken so I am thinking about replacing it. Easy to
install? Or leave it alone?
3. The bearing feels good and looks good so I will lubricate it before
installation. Is it lubricated with wheel bearing grease or gear lube?

The problem was the brake adjusting cable rusted away and part of it fell
down and must have hit the drum only sometimes. So new brake shoes and
hardware is in order.
I am glad I popped out that axle shaft to take a peek though. ;-)
I just used the reverse steel wheel on the hub and hit it with a baby sledge
trick. Popped right out too! <G>

I have a spare Axle Shaft that is an inch or two longer than my right side
shaft on my Dana 35. Could this be for the left side? Or for the Dana 44?

TIA!
--
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1

Old August 3rd 05, 10:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Dave,
You may have something other than a Dana 35c, the axle should just
pull out after releasing the C clip inside the differential with the
spiders, and is clean no race nor seal comes out with the axle:
http://billhughes.com/dana35c/3.jpg Sounds like you may have a floater
type bearings in a Dana 44.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 4th 05, 04:35 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yeah it is a tapered type bearing with the race inside of the axle tube, but
no C-clip inside of the differential.

It definitely looks like the Dana 35 Cover and the axle/rear end has been
casted with 35C on it's upper left area.
Your brake shoes look thicker in your picture than the shoes on my 88 XJ.
Thanks Bill.

Old August 4th 05, 04:45 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I believe Mike Romain's '86 XJ has a shock 44 in it, it's bearing
would look like: http://www.billhughes.com/44axlebearing.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old August 4th 05, 11:15 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

True, it was make by Dana, not assemble with Chrysler parts.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Rear Axle Noise M C BMW 1 April 21st 05 10:09 PM
endplay problem Robert Rutler VW air cooled 24 March 15th 05 09:57 PM
1994 E36 Vibration in rear axle? Lordy BMW 7 February 4th 05 03:35 AM
C-4 Rear Bearing Hub Question Don B. Corvette 6 October 6th 04 03:30 PM