new 'stang - Italian transmissions?

Old December 2nd 04, 01:00 PM
John Del

>Subject: new 'stang - Italian transmissions?
>Date: 12/1/04 9:00 PM Eastern Standard

>This may be OT - but I went on a test drive in a new Freestyle. The
>automatic in that car-truck-thing doesn't shift! It constantly adjusts
>the gear ratio - it was astounding. I was in the back seat. I wish I
>was driving.They call it a CVT - Continously Variable Transmission.

The Subaru Justy (ouch! it hurt just to type that!) used one several years ago.

>I wonder if it will be reliable?

My understanding is they are much more reliable now that they are using a
stronger belt. I also understand that the CVT is limited to lower torque
engines by design.

John
Old December 3rd 04, 12:06 AM
Rein

:

>> This may be OT - but I went on a test drive in a new Freestyle. The
>> automatic in that car-truck-thing doesn't shift! It constantly
>> adjusts the gear ratio - it was astounding. I was in the back seat.
>> I wish I was driving.They call it a CVT - Continously Variable
>> Transmission.
>>
>> I wonder if it will be reliable?

>It oughta be. been around for decades. It's based on the van Doorne
>Automobiel Fabrieken (DAF) 'Variomatic' used in the DAF brand cars.

Hey I remember those ! My grandfather used to own one. The damn thing
always broke down.
The transmissions weren't very reliable if I recall correctly.

>DAF cars got taken over by Volvo/Mitsubishi about 10 years back which
>explains how Ford got hold of it. They actually offer it in Europe for
>at least the last 5 years in their smaller cars. DAF trucks is now
>owned by Paccar, also known for it's Kenworth and Freightliner brands.
>Anybody see the new line of freightliner panel vans? Those are based
>on a line DAF makes. :-)
>
>The old variomatic used rubber belts which needed replacement
>regularly as they tended to stretch. The CVT uses a metal kind of
>belt/chain design which is far more durable/reliable. I don't know if
>the CVT does it, but the old variomatic used to be able to go as fast
>in reverse as it did in forward. Which is why in Holland they have/had
>races with people driving their DAF cars in reverse on the racetrack.
>Quite popular as well.

hmm, I remember those as well.

>How do I know? DAF's factory is in the town I used to live in. For
>those who want to see what the cars looked like, they have the classic
>model and some others on http://www.dafmuseum.nl/

yeah. I used to live in the frogland as well.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:32 AM
DriveSpy

It would seem a heavy duty CVT would be the ultimate drag racing box. Pop the
clutch, transmission controller holds RPM at the horsepower peak and your done.
Assuming the mechanicals are efficient
Old December 3rd 04, 02:52 AM
Bill Jones

Take a look at this November 30 story (linked from Blue Oval News):
http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosins...utos-19733.htm

Ford is going to have engines and transmissions built in Slovakia...

-Bill J.
95 GT

Old December 4th 04, 05:25 PM
David M

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:23:15 +0000, Paul rearranged some electrons to
form:

> at 01 Dec 2004, ] wrote in
> :
>

>> This may be OT -

<snip>

> DAF trucks is now owned by Paccar,
> also known for it's Kenworth and Freightliner brands. Anybody see the new
> line of freightliner panel vans? Those are based on a line DAF makes. :-)

Actually, D/C owns Freightliner...
www.freightliner.com

Paccar owns KW and Peterbuilt.

David M (dmacchiarolo)
http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled
T/S 53
sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 15:34 1 user

Old December 7th 04, 04:23 AM
Paul

at 04 Dec 2004, David M ] wrote in
newsan.2004.12.04.17.25.47.701408@sled351:

> Actually, D/C owns Freightliner...
> www.freightliner.com
> Paccar owns KW and Peterbuilt.

Oops! my bad, your right.

--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)