Change dvd country code to code free???

Old September 18th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Friedetzky

Default Change dvd country code to code free???

Can anyone help me figure out how to change my Pacifica DVD country code
to code free?????? Thanks:grinyes:

--
Friedetzky
Friedetzky's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=476507

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 18th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
DeserTBoB

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:29:26 -0700, Friedetzky
> wrote:

>Can anyone help me figure out how to change my Pacifica DVD country code
>to code free?????? Thanks:grinyes: <snip>

Ain't gonna happen.
Old September 24th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
duty-honor-country[_5_]

DeserTBoB wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:29:26 -0700, Friedetzky
> > wrote:
>

> >Can anyone help me figure out how to change my Pacifica DVD country code
> >to code free?????? Thanks:grinyes: <snip>

> Ain't gonna happen.

ooooh, what a "rocket science" answer that is, Mr. UCLA...

Old September 25th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"duty-honor-country" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> DeserTBoB wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:29:26 -0700, Friedetzky
> > > wrote:
> >

> > >Can anyone help me figure out how to change my Pacifica DVD country

code
> > >to code free?????? Thanks:grinyes: <snip>

> > Ain't gonna happen.

> ooooh, what a "rocket science" answer that is, Mr. UCLA...

Ain't gonna happen.

To get a region free DVD player you have to do 2 things:

1) patch out the region encoding in the DVD drive firmware. There's a group
of people on the Internet that do this with regularity, and the vast
majority of
DVD drives have region free patched firmware available.

2) Patch out the region encoding in the DVD -PLAYER- software. This is
easy to do in a computer, or you simply use DVD player software that ignores
the DVD region codes the DVD reports. (lots of that around)

However, #2 is where your DVD players like the Pacifica get hung up. There
are SOME commercial DVD players out on the market that have patched
firmware.
There are others that have hidden menus that people have discovered. Unless
someone has taken the trouble to crack the Pacifica DVD player firmware, and
release a patch, you are SOL unless you have a rom debugger and you know
assembly language for the processor that is used in the Pacifica.

The smart thing is to NOT buy a car with an embedded DVD player, and instead
buy an off-the-shelf DVD player that you know has a firmware crack for it
available, and use that with a back seat hanger. As an added bonus, these
are
usually cheap enough that you can afford to get 2 of them for the cost of
the in-vehicle DVD player, so each kid can watch their own movie and they
aren't
fighting over a movie choice, and if one of them gets busted, it doesen't
cost you
a thousand bucks to have the dealer fix it.

Ted