More on EDR new law

Old April 14th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default More on EDR new law

Rep. Capuano (D, MA) has introduced bill HR1015...

.." a bill to give a vehicle owner control over the data collected
through his/her car's EDR or "black box". It also requires manufacturers
to provide consumers with the option of enablin and disbling EDR's in
their automobiles".

"the bill also clarifies that all data recorded pm tje edr be the
property of the vehicles owner. The data collected may not be
downloaded withud the consent of the vehicle owner, unless a court order
is in place."

Source National Motorists Foundation, April newsletter.

Clearly, you are exposed to some additional liabilities as it stands
now, else, why propose this law?

Norm

Old April 15th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:45:36 -0400, "...." > wrote:
>
>>Rep. Capuano (D, MA) has introduced bill HR1015...
>>
>>." a bill to give a vehicle owner control over the data collected
>>through his/her car's EDR or "black box". It also requires manufacturers
>>to provide consumers with the option of enablin and disbling EDR's in
>>their automobiles".
>>
>>"the bill also clarifies that all data recorded pm tje edr be the
>>property of the vehicles owner. The data collected may not be
>>downloaded withud the consent of the vehicle owner, unless a court order
>>is in place."
>>
>>Source National Motorists Foundation, April newsletter.
>>
>>Clearly, you are exposed to some additional liabilities as it stands
>>now, else, why propose this law?
>>
>>Norm

> Good Lord, a very rare instance of an elected rep attempting to stand
> up for our rights rather then trying to take them away. It won't be
> long before the right to not incriminate yourself will merely be a
> privilege.

You really take things too far. The way I read this, the bill is intended
only to "clarify" the situation, not some flag-waving uberpatriot attempt to
protect our unstated rights.

Oh - and don't overlook "court order." We all know how tough THOSE are to
come by...

dwight

Old April 16th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Well, at least it's a start. I wrote that rep a thank you note. Then I
wrote mine and asked him to co sponsor it.

retgards,

Norm