Somebody said something that set me off

Old April 14th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

Default Somebody said something that set me off

....and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.

Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
[shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas in
which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride or
baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best approached
behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god for the
internets.)

Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.

Feedback is MORE than welcome...

dwight

Old April 14th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GILL

dwight wrote:
> ...and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.
>
> Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
> husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
> [shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
> subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas in
> which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride or
> baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best approached
> behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god for the
> internets.)
>
> Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.
>
> Feedback is MORE than welcome...
>
> dwight

Good stuff, most roads around me are two lanes
with solid dividing lines, and EVERYONE drives 5
miles below the limit. AHHHHHHHHH! I'm a pro

I have noticed for myself, after any kind of track
event that I enter with my car, I don't drive as
fast on the street.

I knew a Hall of Fame Sprint Car driver, and I was
told he drives like an old lady on the street.

--
Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
W/bits & pieces
Old April 14th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

dwight wrote:
> ...and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.
>
> Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
> husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
> [shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
> subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas in
> which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride or
> baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best approached
> behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god for the
> internets.)
>
> Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.
>
> Feedback is MORE than welcome...
>
> dwight

Actually I think I am above average, but when I look around me the
average or actually the majority are eating, reading and/or talking on
the phone rather than driving. I never tailgate even at lights and
infact it annoys me a little when people get so close the my ass end I
can barely see the top of their windshield tipping over my tailgate. I'm
claustrophobic, stay away from my ass! So truthfully I consider anyone,
even if they are lost or going too slow or even too fast to be above
average if all they are doing at the time is actually piloting their
vehicle and nothing else.
Old April 14th 07, 10:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Warman

Dwight... I didn't read all of your diatribe.... but enough snippets to see
where it was going. And I whole-heartedly agree.... You can kick your
neighbours dog... screw his daughter AND his wife, berate his lawn.... just
don't badmouth his ride and don't tell him he drives like a dick.... These
two topics are, in my experience, far worse than politics and religion.

There are three classes of drivers..... those that don't belong behind the
wheel - this is the majority - the cell phone addicts - the readers - the
make-up applicators - the kid on the lap crowd..... you get the picture.

Then there are descamisados.... "joe average".... all of us mediocre
drivers.... we'd be good drivers if we weren't human.... we're pretty good,
but, occasionally, we make the odd mistake. If we're lucky, we make it in
front of another descamisado and life goes on.....

Then we have the third group.... some of them would be in the first group
and some in the second except for one commonality..... The seeming lack of
testosterone which gets replaced by showing the rest of us that they are
truly assholes. They often begin a course of action by uttering "watch
this...". Excessive speed, faster than needed acceleration and erratic
behaviour are a few of the intrinsic elements. So you have enough money to
buy goodies... big deal... For those in this group - take it to the
track.... if you want folks to be impressed.... show us the time slip....
better yet, show us the trophy....

Old April 14th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> Did you tell the people who drove to the confab that they had no right
> to drive to it?

No. They all knew that.

dwight

Old April 14th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"GILL" > wrote in message
> dwight wrote:
>> ...and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.
>>
>> Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
>> husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
>> [shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
>> subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas
>> in which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride
>> or baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best
>> approached behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god
>> for the internets.)
>>
>> Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.
>>
>> Feedback is MORE than welcome...
>>
>> dwight
>>

> Good stuff, most roads around me are two lanes with solid dividing lines,
> and EVERYONE drives 5 miles below the limit. AHHHHHHHHH! I'm a pro
>
> I have noticed for myself, after any kind of track event that I enter with
> my car, I don't drive as fast on the street.
>
> I knew a Hall of Fame Sprint Car driver, and I was told he drives like an
> old lady on the street.
>
> --
> Tropic Green Y2K Mustang GT
> W/bits & pieces
> http://tinyurl.com/yjdb66

The one point that I left out of the piece was this: situational
circumstances. I tried to focus on rush hour traffic (which is when the
foolishness that the Pros do is REALLY stupid), which has its own set of
rules.

But throughout the day we are faced with a variety of traffic volume, from
lunchtime crush to wide open roads. When I'm in traffic, I tend to be Joe
Citizen, Mr. Rules of the Road. Give me a very light volume or no traffic at
all, and I'm a completely different driver.

And this can flip back and forth several times on a single trip.

Put a passenger in my car, and I drive like a chauffeur. When I go out for
cigarettes at 9:00 in the evening, I'm a wild man. (A wild man with a keen
eye out for deer, of course.) The people in my own neighborhood would
probably swear that I never go faster than 15mph.

So I can understand why a race car driver might be seen driving
ultra-carefully on the street, but I'd be willing to bet that this isn't
always the case when he's behind the wheel.

dwight

Old April 14th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:36:45 -0400, "dwight" >
> wrote:
>
>>...and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.
>>
>>Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
>>husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
>>[shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
>>subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas in
>>which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride or
>>baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best approached
>>behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god for the
>>internets.)
>>
>>Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.
>>
>>Feedback is MORE than welcome...
>>
>>dwight
>>

> Interesting. My view is this, "fake" pros can do the speeding and
> changing lanes and all that but what makes the someone a REAL PRO is
> that when they do those things they virtually never cause another
> driver to have to apply their brakes or do any other action. If
> someone's actions cause another driver to feel the need to brake
> (disregarding the complete morons who brake for a goose flying over
> head) then they are not driving properly slow or fast.

Okay. I might agree with this. We'll add a fourth group: "Us".

Yes, one of my own personal rules states that no other driver should have to
brake for something I do - other than traditional moves, like slowing down
to turn.

(SINGLE BIGGEST PUSSY MOVE is when someone accelerates behind you and almost
clips your bumper when you turn off, usually having signalled your turn with
puh-lenty of warning.)

But here's the thing: I have been among the Lost, have hung out with the
Slow, and have been an arrogantly stupid Pro. I am all of these. I think
that all of us, at some point or another, DO fall into all three categories.
Or, as I like to say, "We're ALL road warriors."

That's why cooperation is key. Cooperation involves

1) recognition that the other guy is a driver just like you and just as
deserving of respect. Failing that, the understanding that the other driver
is at least somebody's father, mother, sister, brother, etc etc etc One
hopes that the Pros would NEVER want another PRO doing their silliness to
one of THEIR relatives, but they're perfectly content to do it to one of
yours.

and 2) forgiveness. Road rage ensues when one party refuses to forgive the
transgressor. The bottom line is that we ALL do something stupid every once
in a while (hold up your hands, all you perfect drivers who don't). We just
take turns doing it. If the guy in front of me does something stupid, well,
it was just his turn. Let's forgive and go on with our business, and we'll
all get where we're going in one piece.

dwight

Old April 14th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"WindsorFox" > wrote in message
> dwight wrote:
>> ...and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.
>>
>> Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
>> husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
>> [shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
>> subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas
>> in which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride
>> or baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best
>> approached behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god
>> for the internets.)
>>
>> Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.
>>
>> Feedback is MORE than welcome...
>>
>> dwight

> Actually I think I am above average, but when I look around me the
> average or actually the majority are eating, reading and/or talking on the
> phone rather than driving. I never tailgate even at lights and infact it
> annoys me a little when people get so close the my ass end I can barely
> see the top of their windshield tipping over my tailgate. I'm
> claustrophobic, stay away from my ass! So truthfully I consider anyone,
> even if they are lost or going too slow or even too fast to be above
> average if all they are doing at the time is actually piloting their
> vehicle and nothing else.

I will daydream about how to spend the millions I'm going to win in the
lottery. It may LOOK like I'm paying attention (no cellphone, no eating, no
reading, etc.), but I've been shopping for mansions over the past few miles,
and can't really remember how I got where I am. I'm on auto-pilot.

Am I more or less dangerous than the guy on the cellphone?

dwight

Old April 14th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

dwight wrote:
> "WindsorFox" > wrote in message
>> dwight wrote:
>>> ...and I wrote a damn novel, too long to post here.
>>>
>>> Whenever a bunch of casual acquaintances get together (like us whipped
>>> husbands who get collared into accompanying their wives to a bridal or
>>> [shudder] baby shower), the conversation usually centers around safe
>>> subjects: weather, sports, cars. Rarely does it wander into those areas
>>> in which we hold strong opinions: religion, or how unattractive the bride
>>> or baby really is, or [shudder] politics. These are subjects best
>>> approached behind the twin shields of distance and anonymity. (Thank god
>>> for the internets.)
>>>
>>> Read the rest at http://www.tfrog93.com/thoughts/thoughts.htm.
>>>
>>> Feedback is MORE than welcome...
>>>
>>> dwight

>> Actually I think I am above average, but when I look around me the
>> average or actually the majority are eating, reading and/or talking on the
>> phone rather than driving. I never tailgate even at lights and infact it
>> annoys me a little when people get so close the my ass end I can barely
>> see the top of their windshield tipping over my tailgate. I'm
>> claustrophobic, stay away from my ass! So truthfully I consider anyone,
>> even if they are lost or going too slow or even too fast to be above
>> average if all they are doing at the time is actually piloting their
>> vehicle and nothing else.

> I will daydream about how to spend the millions I'm going to win in the
> lottery. It may LOOK like I'm paying attention (no cellphone, no eating, no
> reading, etc.), but I've been shopping for mansions over the past few miles,
> and can't really remember how I got where I am. I'm on auto-pilot.
>
> Am I more or less dangerous than the guy on the cellphone?
>
> dwight

I'd say less. Wandering thoughts don't hold your attention as
tightly as yelling at your wife for not picking up the laundry.
Old April 14th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

> Here's another touchstone... if your driving was being observed by
> your mother or your boss would you still be driving that way??

Of course. Why not?

I get the feeling that you do a lot of stuff that you'd rather people didn't
know about.

dwight