Donating Car to Rural Charity...

Old October 4th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_11_]

Default Donating Car to Rural Charity...

>>Most lawnmower mechanics know that a spark plug is. Some may even know
>>how
>>to change the oil in a mower... Although that is rare.

> Oh, get real. In your previous post, you said that "anyone can perform the
> oil
> change" in a car. And now you say that it's "rare" for a lawnmower
> mechanic to
> know how to change the oil in a mower -- which is easier than changing oil
> in
> a car. Which is it: something that "anyone can perform", or something that
> it's "rare" to know how to do?

Sorry. Poor choice of words. I meant that actually finding someone who
changed the oil in a lawnmower was rare...

CLIP
> The manufacturer put that valve there for a
> reason; that you think it might be a good idea to plug it shows clearly
> that
> you don't know what that reason is. Maybe you should find out.

EPA issues I believe.

>>Do you know what a ER16M nut is or what a 560-8M-20 refers to without
>>looking them up? Some of the most basic parts of a globally used machine
>>and found on many other machines for years and years... However the
>>average
>>Joe (er... Better name?) won't have a clue what it is or how it works or
>>even how to use it. In fact, I'd bet there are more ER16M "devices" in
>>the
>>world than PCV valves yet I'd also bet that the average person wouldn't
>>have
>>a clue how to install it or even remove what it retains.

> .. none of which has *anything* to do with answering my question: Why do
> you
> think replacing a PCV valve is beyond the reach of the average lawnmower
> mechanic? It just ain't that hard. That you think it *is* suggests that,
> as
> another poster pointed out, you may have it confused with something else.
>>
>>Unless you have experience in a field, the fact is that you probably don't
>>know what an item is. With the PCV valve - and with the way the camp is
>>going to use the vehicle - I am relatively certain it would be forgotten
>>about and then the car would run rough and then it would be put in a barn
>>await a mechanically acclimated person and then it would simply never be
>>used again.

> And is there something stopping you from explaining the importance of the
> valve, and showing them how to change it?

Desire... I do not desire to teach anyone. ...And I believe they are in
unfamiliar territory with the item.

I also don't desire to have this coversation much longer. I'm convinced you
are simply trolling for a response and/or get off on being adversarial.

So... I'm replying ust in case, but refuse to debate this issue any longer.
--

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg
http://www.youthelate.com

Help Cure Cancer: http://yunx.com/UDvroc.htm

Old October 4th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article <acDUg.7123$pS3.6494@trnddc01>, "Joe" > wrote:

>> And is there something stopping you from explaining the importance of the
>> valve, and showing them how to change it?

>Desire... I do not desire to teach anyone. ...And I believe they are in
>unfamiliar territory with the item.

Your arrogance is astonishing -- you don't think that anyone else but you
could learn how to do this, and it's beneath you to teach the lesser mortals.

>I also don't desire to have this coversation much longer.

Neither do I. I'm convinced that you've made up your mind -- for reasons
unbeknownst to anyone else -- that you *need* to remove the PCV valve from
this car, and are completely unwilling to listen to anyone who suggests that
doing so is either unnecessary or unwise.

>I'm convinced you
>are simply trolling for a response

"Trolling for a response"?? The whole thread is in response to *your*
question, not mine.

>and/or get off on being adversarial.

Odd... I was just thinking the same thing about you.

>So... I'm replying ust in case, but refuse to debate this issue any longer.

Good luck with that donation...

--
Regards,

Old October 4th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"Doug Miller" > wrote in message
m...
> In article <acDUg.7123$pS3.6494@trnddc01>, "Joe" >
> wrote:
>

>>> And is there something stopping you from explaining the importance of
>>> the
>>> valve, and showing them how to change it?

>>Desire... I do not desire to teach anyone. ...And I believe they are in
>>unfamiliar territory with the item.

> Your arrogance is astonishing -- you don't think that anyone else but you
> could learn how to do this, and it's beneath you to teach the lesser
> mortals.
>>
>>I also don't desire to have this coversation much longer.

> Neither do I. I'm convinced that you've made up your mind -- for reasons
> unbeknownst to anyone else -- that you *need* to remove the PCV valve from
> this car, and are completely unwilling to listen to anyone who suggests
> that
> doing so is either unnecessary or unwise.
>
>>I'm convinced you
>>are simply trolling for a response

> "Trolling for a response"?? The whole thread is in response to *your*
> question, not mine.
>
>>and/or get off on being adversarial.

> Odd... I was just thinking the same thing about you.
>>
>>So... I'm replying ust in case, but refuse to debate this issue any
>>longer.

> Good luck with that donation...
>
> --
> Regards,
> Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
>
> It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.

Strange thread...very strange. (Not you or marx)

Old October 4th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_11_]

> Strange thread...very strange. (Not you or marx)

It wouldn't have become so strange if people answered with technical advice
instead of their opinions on why something should or should not be done. I
got sucked in and (stupidly) answered those baited opinions with my own.

Usenet used to be such a great resource for all to find info - now it seems
everyone has a chip on their shoulder and has to try and prove why they are
right / smarter / more frugal / whatever. I fell into that trap on this
thread...

Anyone have any technical answers to the question originally posed? How to
remove the PCV Valve and replace it with something that won't gum up with an
oil burning SL1 for long term, non-public road use?

Old October 4th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

simple answer, you asked for an answer, so listen to the answer. You Dont.
Always replace the PCV valve as should be done, this should not even be an
issue. End of thread.

marx404

Old October 4th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article <MuMUg.5490$If3.2367@trnddc07>, "Joe" > wrote:
>> Strange thread...very strange. (Not you or marx)

>It wouldn't have become so strange if people answered with technical advice
>instead of their opinions on why something should or should not be done.

You still haven't figured out that the opinion that this should not be done
*is* the "technical advice" you claim you were looking for.

> I got sucked in and (stupidly) answered those baited opinions with my own.

The only "baited opinion" that ever appeared in this thread was the idea
firmly fixed in your mind that you needed to do this. You came here looking
for validation of that bad idea, and got all snippy when you didn't get it.

>Usenet used to be such a great resource for all to find info - now it seems
>everyone has a chip on their shoulder and has to try and prove why they are
>right / smarter / more frugal / whatever.

Physician, heal thyself.

>I fell into that trap on this
>thread...

Wrong again. You *set* a trap here -- you don't have an open mind on this
subject.

>Anyone have any technical answers to the question originally posed? How to
>remove the PCV Valve and replace it with something that won't gum up with an
>oil burning SL1 for long term, non-public road use?

You've already received the technical answer, to wit: this is not a good idea,
and you shouldn't do it.

--
Regards,

Old October 5th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe[_11_]

> You still haven't figured out that the opinion that this should not be
> done
> *is* the "technical advice" you claim you were looking for.

My original post said, "Is there any way of removing the PCV valve and yet
keep the mileage high? Maybe plug it or something? But a breather there?"

....How does that leave any room for someone's opinion on whether it SHOULD
be done? I asked if it COULD be done and how.

> Wrong again. You *set* a trap here -- you don't have an open mind on this
> subject.

Sure I do. However, not in THIS thread. When I post asking whether I
SHOULD remove the item, then I'll be receptive to your opinion.

> You've already received the technical answer, to wit: this is not a good
> idea,
> and you shouldn't do it.

Um. Hmm... I guess I shouldn't even bother, but that's an opinion, not a
technical answer to the question.

Old October 5th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"Joe" > wrote in message
>> Strange thread...very strange. (Not you or marx)

> It wouldn't have become so strange if people answered with technical
> advice instead of their opinions on why something should or should not be
> done. I got sucked in and (stupidly) answered those baited opinions with
> my own.
>
> Usenet used to be such a great resource for all to find info - now it
> seems everyone has a chip on their shoulder and has to try and prove why
> they are right / smarter / more frugal / whatever. I fell into that trap
> on this thread...
>
> Anyone have any technical answers to the question originally posed? How
> to remove the PCV Valve and replace it with something that won't gum up
> with an oil burning SL1 for long term, non-public road use?
>
> Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

The technical solution is don't do it. Cars nowadays are integrated systems
that won't work right unless the system is complete. If they can change
spark plugs on this car, changing the PCV would be a snap.

If you absolutely feel that disconnecting the PCV is the only solution,
disconnect the hose from the PCV and plug it so there isn't a vacuum leak.
Expect further problems.

Ken

Old October 5th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article <G2XUg.7285$pS3.4044@trnddc01>, "Joe" > wrote:
>> You still haven't figured out that the opinion that this should not be
>> done
>> *is* the "technical advice" you claim you were looking for.

>My original post said, "Is there any way of removing the PCV valve and yet
>keep the mileage high? Maybe plug it or something? But a breather there?"
>
>....How does that leave any room for someone's opinion on whether it SHOULD
>be done? I asked if it COULD be done and how.

Whether it can be done or not, and how, are irrelevant. It's a bad idea.

>> Wrong again. You *set* a trap here -- you don't have an open mind on this
>> subject.

>Sure I do. However, not in THIS thread.

Obviously...

> When I post asking whether I
>SHOULD remove the item, then I'll be receptive to your opinion.

Asking how to do something that should not be done is a pointless question.

>> You've already received the technical answer, to wit: this is not a good
>> idea,
>> and you shouldn't do it.

>Um. Hmm... I guess I shouldn't even bother, but that's an opinion, not a
>technical answer to the question.

You've already been provided, by another poster, a fairly detailed technical
explanation of exactly why it's a bad idea.

--
Regards,