Need help buying tires , 55 to 50

Old April 4th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce

Default Need help buying tires , 55 to 50

On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 08:11:52 -0500, AMuzi > wrote:

>On 4/4/2020 6:14 AM, micky wrote:
>> I usually just buy whatever the used tire store has, but I think he had
>> trouble finding the size I need last time, so I looked online.
>>
>> This is for a 2005 Toyotal Solara SLE convertible. The current tire is
>> 215/55R17, as recommended by the maker.
>>
>> Questions come to mind:
>>
>> 1) I once had 2 directional tires, that had to spin in the right
>> direction. It was a nuisance. IIRC after I hit a curb and ruined the RF
>> tire, I had to change 3 tires to get those two to come out right. Can I
>> count on advertisements for directional tires to say that they are,
>> especially if I'm ordering online?
>>
>> I don't see anything like that for any of the tires I've looked at, but
>> maybe none of them have been one-way only.
>>

>> 2) Then, I find at Firestone:
>> Tire installation includes
>> TPMS Reset (not a new kit or sensor)
>>
>> Doesn't that just mean pushing the button on my dashboard?
>> Is that really worth itemizing? or are some customers so ignorant
>> that it seems like it's worth money?
>>

>> 3) Everything else being equal, are quiet tires really quiet, enough to
>> notice the difference?
>>
>> An example if you want one:
>> https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...15859838166466
>>
>> Partly, I use the sound to know how fast I'm going. Will I have to
>> learn all over again?
>>

>> 4) The tire above is $172, at Firestone or SimpleTire (installation
>> extra at both places. SimpleTire recommends Firestone and gives the same
>> price Firestone charges even for tires they sell.)
>>
>> But this tire, same make and model, almost the same size, is $87
>> https://simpletire.com/bridgestone-p...CrA8 QAvD_BwE
>> It's 215/50R-17 instead of 215/55R-17, so iiuc it's 50/55ths of the
>> diameter, 10/11ths, or 1/11th smaller, so it will have to rotate
>> 11/10ths more times. So 25,000 miles will seem like 27,500 miles to the
>> bearings and the tire tread. But these are the rear wheels in a FWD
>> car, and I don't even drive much, so does it really matter? And it's
>> half the price.
>>
>> BTW, relevant to question 1, in the simpletire link above, this tire
>> surely looks like a one-way tire, because the tread is not the same,
>> neither left to right vs. right to left, nor CW vs. CCW. I guess this
>> is what makes it a quiet tire, but maybe it makes it a directional tire
>> too?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>I have no idea on your questions regarding tires.
>
>Your '50' or '55' is an aspect ratio, not a diameter.

Of course, but it helps you to calculate the nominal diameter. The formula
is simple:

rim diameter + ((tire width * aspect ratio as a percentage) *2)

Converting the 17" rim diameter to mm, you get 431.8
((215 * .50) * 2) = 215
215 + 431.8 = 646.8

((215 * .55)) * 2 = 236.5
236.5 + 431.8 = 668.3

Now you can compare 646.8 to 668.3.

All of those are nominal values. Production differences will cause some
variation, not to mention wear as a tire is used.

Old April 4th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_3_]

> one could measure it objectively. But the people who write reviews
> on Tire Rack do not. They just replaced their bald Comfortreads with
> brand new Defenders and... wow... they handle so much better and don't
> make that swishing noise!

While I find it's literally both trivial & impossible to properly select
tires by its known trusted specs, I do well agree with others on the almost
total lack of validity of most "boy racer" tire reviews on the net.

As for objective measurement...
o Measuring and Reporting Tire-Pavement Noise Using On-Board Sound Intensity (OBSI)
<https://docplayer.net/26626443-Measuring-and-reporting-tire-pavement-noise-using-on-board-sound-intensity-obsi.html>

They essentially mount a probe at the x:y:z 3-dimensional leading &
trailing edges of the tire contact patch with the road surface at 60mph:
o 4 inches horizontal from the tire sidewall
o 3 inches vertical above the pavement
o 4.125 inches in front and behind the axle centerline

Typical concrete tire interfaces, they say, generate from 99dBA to 108dBA
reported in the 400 Hz to 5,000 Hz band, where (get this), the results are
viewed in Google Earth!
--
Usenet works best when adults post with purposefully helpful intentions.
Old April 4th 20, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_3_]

> I forgot what someone said that was.

I don't know what _that_ noise was, but this tire-seller page (so take it
for what it's worth), "claims" tire noise can be from a variety of
causes...
o How to Keep Tire Noise Down
<https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-noise>

1. UNBALANCED TIRES
2. TIRES THAT NEED ROTATING
3. OFF-ROAD AND PERFORMANCE TIRES
4. UNEVEN TREADWEAR
5. UNEVEN OR LOW TIRE PRESSURE
6. DEBRIS IN TIRES

The cynical may note that the tire seller in question holds most of the
solutions, or so it might seem...

This article at least explains somewhat that tire noise is normal...
o Common Causes of Tire Noise and How to Fix Them
<https://www.liveabout.com/tire-noise-3234473>

"Wide tires generate more noise than narrow tires..."
"Touring tires and low-rolling-resistance (LRR) tires are typically
the quietest, while snow tires and off-road tires are the noisiest
(studded snow tires are even louder). Performance tires and all-season
tires fall somewhere in between. Because of their stiff sidewalls,
run-flat tires (RFT) are usually noisier than non-RFT tires."

"Low-profile tires typically generate more noise because there is less
rubber sidewall to absorb it. This noise gets transmitted through the
chassis and the rest of the vehicle. While these tires offer improved
traction, they can sometimes generate excessive noise."

For what it's worth, Consumers Union does test & report for measured noise.
o Consumer Report: Tire Rating & Reviews
<https://www.consumerreports.org/products/tires/ratings/?type=performance-all-season-tire>
--
Usenet is so much more valuable, and pleasant, when people share solutions.
Old April 5th 20, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

I'll get back to you about individual replies but I see a tire store
here advertising rim seals for $15/tire but I can't find anything about
them with google.

They're closed now but do you know what rim seals are.

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 04 Apr 2020 07:14:06 -0400, micky
> wrote:

>I usually just buy whatever the used tire store has, but I think he had
>trouble finding the size I need last time, so I looked online.
>
>This is for a 2005 Toyotal Solara SLE convertible. The current tire is
>215/55R17, as recommended by the maker.
>
>Questions come to mind:
>
>1) I once had 2 directional tires, that had to spin in the right
>direction. It was a nuisance. IIRC after I hit a curb and ruined the RF
>tire, I had to change 3 tires to get those two to come out right. Can I
>count on advertisements for directional tires to say that they are,
>especially if I'm ordering online?
>
>I don't see anything like that for any of the tires I've looked at, but
>maybe none of them have been one-way only.
>

>2) Then, I find at Firestone:
> Tire installation includes
> TPMS Reset (not a new kit or sensor)
>
> Doesn't that just mean pushing the button on my dashboard?
> Is that really worth itemizing? or are some customers so ignorant
>that it seems like it's worth money?
>

>3) Everything else being equal, are quiet tires really quiet, enough to
>notice the difference?
>
>An example if you want one:
>https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...15859838166466
>
>Partly, I use the sound to know how fast I'm going. Will I have to
>learn all over again?
>

>4) The tire above is $172, at Firestone or SimpleTire (installation
>extra at both places. SimpleTire recommends Firestone and gives the same
>price Firestone charges even for tires they sell.)
>
>But this tire, same make and model, almost the same size, is $87
>https://simpletire.com/bridgestone-p...CrA8 QAvD_BwE
>It's 215/50R-17 instead of 215/55R-17, so iiuc it's 50/55ths of the
>diameter, 10/11ths, or 1/11th smaller, so it will have to rotate
>11/10ths more times. So 25,000 miles will seem like 27,500 miles to the
>bearings and the tire tread. But these are the rear wheels in a FWD
>car, and I don't even drive much, so does it really matter? And it's
>half the price.
>
>BTW, relevant to question 1, in the simpletire link above, this tire
>surely looks like a one-way tire, because the tread is not the same,
>neither left to right vs. right to left, nor CW vs. CCW. I guess this
>is what makes it a quiet tire, but maybe it makes it a directional tire
>too?
>
>TIA

Buying & mounting new tires tomorrow (two questions) SF Man Technology 41 September 7th 11 12:58 AM
Buying Tires On eBay? Jim Ed VW air cooled 2 September 16th 10 05:11 AM
buying tires online? Phil Technology 3 September 26th 09 01:01 AM
Next winter Im buying Blizzak snow tires!! [email protected] Technology 22 February 28th 08 07:42 PM
buying tires at BJ's which brand should I get Joe[_71_] Technology 7 July 23rd 07 05:38 PM