98 dodge grand caravan

Old July 25th 05, 05:54 AM
Christopher Pine

Default 98 dodge grand caravan

OK I was hopeing someone on here had soem expertise with my problem and
would be ever so gracious to help.. My battery died.. I mean dead dead...
would not take a charge any longer... I had relays clicking and stuff
because not enough voltage to keep them close or opend what have you.
I have gotten a new battery and all is working, however 4 lights on the
rear window wiper buttons ( the on one and the intermittent one) and also
the recirc button and air conditioning button all blink when the key is
turned to on position.. and after you start the car... The only thing I
noticed not working per say is the rear deforst button when pushed does not
illuminate.. I think it may come on however because when pushed I still here
the relay engageing..

What is the deal here? anyoen know and anything I need to do to reset
somthing etc??/

Thanks in advance for all replies that will help!

Chris

--
Chris Pine

Ever look at your watch then look away again and you don't know what time it
is?!

Old July 25th 05, 06:27 AM
danny burstein

In > "Christopher Pine" > writes:

>rear window wiper buttons ( the on one and the intermittent one) and also
>the recirc button and air conditioning button all blink when the key is
>turned to on position.. and after you start the car... The only thing I

ah, yes. ye olde ac blinkenlight problem

( btw, the lights stop blinken after 15 minutes, but then start
again the next time you turn on te car...)

The system got kicked into a test mode when you were powered down.

The way to reset it:

a) turn on the a.c system.

b) look at th " I " portion of the " L " of buttons. Push and hold
the top and bottom one together for about ten seconds. You'll see
the other LEDs start flashing and then the system will go into
a step-by-step checkout. You'll notice that you'll get hot air
for a moment, then a bit of this, then that, as it cycles through.

After rougly two minutes it'll finis up and only the top led
will continue flashing. Tap it to stop.

At that point you can turn the ac off, wait a minute, then
turn it on and all the lights should (should...) be ok.

Old July 25th 05, 09:26 AM
maxpower

"Christopher Pine" > wrote in message
> OK I was hopeing someone on here had soem expertise with my problem and
> would be ever so gracious to help.. My battery died.. I mean dead dead...
> would not take a charge any longer... I had relays clicking and stuff
> because not enough voltage to keep them close or opend what have you.
> I have gotten a new battery and all is working, however 4 lights on the
> rear window wiper buttons ( the on one and the intermittent one) and also
> the recirc button and air conditioning button all blink when the key is
> turned to on position.. and after you start the car... The only thing I
> noticed not working per say is the rear deforst button when pushed does

not
> illuminate.. I think it may come on however because when pushed I still

here
> the relay engageing..
>
> What is the deal here? anyoen know and anything I need to do to reset
> somthing etc??/
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies that will help!
>
> Chris
>

> --
> Chris Pine
>

> Ever look at your watch then look away again and you don't know what time

it
> is?!

COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY
TO INITIATE TEST:
a.. Set Blower motor ON HIGH
b.. Open all A/C outlets
c.. Depress A/C and WASH buttons simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all
LED's light)
RESULTS:
a.. All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds.
b.. Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing.
c.. Acceptable result is when LED flashing stops.
d.. Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown must be run separately.
CALIBRATION DIAGNOSTICS AND COOLDOWN ABORT
Test can be aborted by doing one of the following:

a.. Depressing Rear Window Defogger, RECIRC and Rear Wiper buttons.
b.. Cycling Ignition OFF and then ON.
c.. Control will automatically abort after 15 minutes from the time
Calibration Diagnostics and Cooldown was entered.
The HVAC control module will return to normal operation or may indicate
unsuccessful Calibration Diagnostics or Cooldown test by LED's flashing
simultaneously.

COOLDOWN TEST FAILURE
1.. Determine if the refrigerant system is operating correctly:
a.. Check the outlet air temperature
b.. Feel the compressor suction plumbing, is it hot?
If not OK, go to Step 2. If OK, repeat the Calibration Diagnostic and
Cooldown test.

2.. If system does not seem to be operating correctly, perform diagnostics
for poor performance:
a.. Low refrigerant charge
b.. No charge
c.. Compressor not operating

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 25th 05, 08:49 PM
danny burstein

In > "maxpower" > writes:

>The HVAC control module will return to normal operation or may indicate
>unsuccessful Calibration Diagnostics or Cooldown test by LED's flashing
>simultaneously.

I foolishly (yep...) did this test and now I'm faced
with this new blinkenlight problem, namely the
recirc and a/c doing the 15 minute blink thing.

(The physical problem is that the recirculation
button was lighting up nicely, but starting a
week or so ago, didn't do anything to the airflow).

Any suggestions as to how to stop their flashing?

Thanks.

Old July 25th 05, 10:14 PM
maxpower

"danny burstein" > wrote in message
> In > "maxpower"

> writes:
>
> >The HVAC control module will return to normal operation or may indicate
> >unsuccessful Calibration Diagnostics or Cooldown test by LED's flashing
> >simultaneously.

> I foolishly (yep...) did this test and now I'm faced
> with this new blinkenlight problem, namely the
> recirc and a/c doing the 15 minute blink thing.
>
> (The physical problem is that the recirculation
> button was lighting up nicely, but starting a
> week or so ago, didn't do anything to the airflow).
>
> Any suggestions as to how to stop their flashing?
>
> Thanks.
> --

Was your a/c working before the battery went dead, or was the system inop?

Old July 25th 05, 11:10 PM
danny burstein

In > "maxpower" > writes:

>> button was lighting up nicely, but starting a
>> week or so ago, didn't do anything to the airflow).
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to stop their flashing?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --

>Was your a/c working before the battery went dead, or was the system inop?

Ah... you're conflabulating me with the other poster.

My situation: no battery issues and the main AC switch
is still working, giving me modest cooling But...

About a week ago the "recirc" button
stopped working. That is, I'd push it in and it would
light up, but there was no change in air flow.

(I'm still getting moderate cooling, but would like
the extra oomph...)

Yesterday I tried the hvac test sequence. When it finished
up I was left with the a/c and recirc LEDs flashing
simultaneously. I've treid various combos to get
it to stop, but they keep blinking.

(They do time out after 15 minutes, but start
up again the next time I turn on the ignition)

So... first, would you know how to
get the blinken to stop, and second,
could you point me to where the "recirc"
problem is likely to be?

(And please don't tell me it'll probably
involve removing the entire dash again...)

thanks

Old July 25th 05, 11:57 PM
maxpower

"danny burstein" > wrote in message
> In > "maxpower"

> writes:
>
> >> button was lighting up nicely, but starting a
> >> week or so ago, didn't do anything to the airflow).
> >>
> >> Any suggestions as to how to stop their flashing?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> --

> >Was your a/c working before the battery went dead, or was the system

inop?

> Ah... you're conflabulating me with the other poster.
>
> My situation: no battery issues and the main AC switch
> is still working, giving me modest cooling But...
>
> About a week ago the "recirc" button
> stopped working. That is, I'd push it in and it would
> light up, but there was no change in air flow.
>
> (I'm still getting moderate cooling, but would like
> the extra oomph...)
>
> Yesterday I tried the hvac test sequence. When it finished
> up I was left with the a/c and recirc LEDs flashing
> simultaneously. I've treid various combos to get
> it to stop, but they keep blinking.
>
> (They do time out after 15 minutes, but start
> up again the next time I turn on the ignition)
>
> So... first, would you know how to
> get the blinken to stop, and second,
> could you point me to where the "recirc"
> problem is likely to be?
>
> (And please don't tell me it'll probably
> involve removing the entire dash again...)
>
> thanks

If you did not have the controls set properly and the evap hot before the
test it will do that
a.. Set Blower motor ON HIGH
b.. Set Mode position to Panel
c.. Open all A/C outlets
d.. Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)
e.. Depress WASH and A/C simultaneously for 5 Seconds
a.. Cooldown Test is running when A/C and RECIRC. are alternately flashing.
If A/C and RECIRC. are flashing simultaneously, Cooldown has failed.
a..
a.. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CONTROLS SET. Try it again

Old July 26th 05, 05:54 AM
Christopher Pine

Thanks so much for the help... I did what Danny said today and it would not
pass... It went throught the test and stopped at the interval of the recirc
and air buttons blinking three times and the top (wiper button) blinking
once. That is once for every third time of the others.

I guess I will go with your instructions.. I did not have it on high....

I had no issues with my air prior to the battery dieing.

Old July 27th 05, 04:36 AM
Christopher Pine

That did the trick! Thankyou so much! I never would have figured that out
by myself!

All is well again!

Don't buy Dodge justme Dodge 10 July 13th 05 06:40 AM
dodge ram throttle valve cable jacktober Technology 0 July 6th 05 11:51 AM
Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 0 January 5th 05 02:49 PM