How do I replace a 1999 A6 Avant front blinker bulb...?

Old June 8th 04, 08:50 PM
Norman Weiler

Default How do I replace a 1999 A6 Avant front blinker bulb...?

Hi,

I can't see any way to get to the back of the headlight cluster
housing (passenger side) to get to a bad blinker bulb. The path is
blocked by plastic shrouds, air ducts, etc., with no easy way to even
get these out of the way. Is there a step-by-step procedure available
on the www somewhere? Do you pull the headlight cluster out from the
front?

Thanks for your help,
Norm
Old June 18th 04, 01:44 AM
Norman Weiler

For those who've been watching for a response to my post about front
bulb replacement, I can now answer my own questions.

I assumed Audi would prefer not to have owners pulling off shrouds and
air intakes, so I neglected to check my manual before posting. That
was a mistake. The manual has two pages, with diagrams, devoted to
changing bulbs in the 1999 A6 Avant. For those without manuals, here's
a description of what to do...

Driver's side --- no panels or ducts are in the way.

Passenger's side --- here you'll have to remove the air intake. The
inlet passes through, and is secured to the front-most engine bay
wall. Remove the two screws that secure the inlet and air duct to the
wall. These are the only two screws you'll have to deal with. Separate
the 2-piece air intake. Pull the section closest to the air box up,
and to the left. It will separate from two retaining tabs. With the
air intake out of the way, the remaining instructions apply to both
sides.

All light bulbs are accessed from under the hood. Each headlight
cluster has a rear, protective plastic hood with a seal to keep out
dirt and moisture. These hoods are secured by two spring clips, which
just un-snap and swing out of the way for headlight bulb replacement.

Each turn signal bulb socket has a 5-inch, light gray plastic stalk
that extends inward. This is what you want to grab and twist counter
clockwise in order to remove the turn signal bulb. The passenger side
seems easier to get to if you first remove the rear headlamp
protective hood. You'll want a flashlight to see what's going on where
the signal bulb socket seats to the back of the housing.

That's all there is to it. If you'd like a .jpg scan of my manual's
pages, email me directly.

Norm Weiler