About jumping car - Connection Negative

Old February 3rd 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
klabu

Default About jumping car - Connection Negative

About jumping car -
When attaching NEGATIVE to the target car - what is the difference btwn
attaching to battery negative pole and attaching to the metal part of the
car ?

Why "attaching to the metal part of the car" is the "default instruction"
than otherwise ?

Thanks

Old February 3rd 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 12:13:45 -0500, "klabu" <klabu_at_gmail_dot_com>
wrote:

>About jumping car -
>When attaching NEGATIVE to the target car - what is the difference btwn
>attaching to battery negative pole and attaching to the metal part of the
>car ?
>
>Why "attaching to the metal part of the car" is the "default instruction"
>than otherwise ?

You can get a spark when the last of the four connections is made.
Its best if the spark is not close to the battery for safety reasons.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old February 3rd 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve B.

wrote:

>About jumping car -
>When attaching NEGATIVE to the target car - what is the difference btwn
>attaching to battery negative pole and attaching to the metal part of the
>car ?
>
>Why "attaching to the metal part of the car" is the "default instruction"
>than otherwise ?
>
>Thanks

A battery can emit flammable gas. That last connection generally
gives you a spark when you make it so they recommend that you use some
other piece of metal to keep that spark away from any potential gas. I
once saw a battery explode from jump starting. Sent the person
hooking up the cables to the hospital. Possibly he hooked the cables
up backwards but ever since I have been a bit more careful jump
starting cars.

Steve B.
Old February 3rd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

klabu <klabu_at_gmail_dot_com> wrote:
>About jumping car -
>When attaching NEGATIVE to the target car - what is the difference btwn
>attaching to battery negative pole and attaching to the metal part of the
>car ?

When you attach the LAST connection, there will be a spark as the circuit
is made.

You want that spark to be as far away from the battery as possible. Batteries
can produce explosive gas. You don't want a spark right near a source of
explosive gas.

>Why "attaching to the metal part of the car" is the "default instruction"
>than otherwise ?

Because, to paraphrase Repo Man, "sometimes batteries just explode."
--scott
Old February 4th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"klabu" <klabu_at_gmail_dot_com> wrote in
:

> About jumping car -
> When attaching NEGATIVE to the target car - what is the difference btwn
> attaching to battery negative pole and attaching to the metal part of the
> car ?
>
> Why "attaching to the metal part of the car" is the "default instruction"
> than otherwise ?

Automotive lead-acid batteries DO (not "can") produce and emit hydrogen gas
as a normal part of their operation. Sparks ignite hydrogen, a *highly*
flammable gas.

As others have pointed out, the last connection you make with your jumper
cables usually makes a bit of a spark, so you want that spark to happen as
far away from the hydrogen as possible.

Ever heard of the Hindenburg?

--
Tegger

Old February 4th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Feb 3, 6:16 pm, Tegger > wrote:

> Ever heard of the Hindenburg?

Aww, come on. Only 36% of those aboard the Hindy died. Ford
engineers would do backflips with safety numbers like that.
OT? Yes. Flame magnet? Oh yeah.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old February 4th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:

>About jumping car -
>When attaching NEGATIVE to the target car - what is the difference btwn
>attaching to battery negative pole and attaching to the metal part of the
>car ?
>
>Why "attaching to the metal part of the car" is the "default instruction"
>than otherwise ?
>
>Thanks

Usually when jumping a car you are outside with the wind blowing.
If so hook the negative to the battery. No gas will ever get the
opportunity to collect under these conditions.
Old February 4th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Comboverfish > wrote:
>On Feb 3, 6:16 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>
>> Ever heard of the Hindenburg?

>Aww, come on. Only 36% of those aboard the Hindy died. Ford
>engineers would do backflips with safety numbers like that.
>OT? Yes. Flame magnet? Oh yeah.

Absolutely false. Since the disaster happened nearly seventy years ago,
I would be very surprised if anyone aboard the Hindenburg remains alive.
Even the Pinto has better statistics than that.
--scott

Old February 4th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scrapper[_34_]

i agree because i jump my brothers car when it was real cold and battery
popped..every since then i ground it to anything but neg cable..theres
my 2 cents worth on this suject...

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 4th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message

> Usually when jumping a car you are outside with the wind blowing.
> If so hook the negative to the battery. No gas will ever get the
> opportunity to collect under these conditions.

It is a safety risk, but I agree...seldom do you have enough hydrogen
accumulated to
turn the hazard into an accident. But it CAN happen.

We are looking at statistical risk.

A proper risk assessment would point toward using the procedure whereby the
ground
or B- cable is hooked to the frame.

I have seen cases where hooking both cable terminals to the battery in tight
spots
might lead to them getting together. In a perfect world, it shouldnt
happen, but
the risk can be there.

"Risk", as in the Challenger explosion, the Hinderburg, and the Titanic,
can sometimes become catastrophic fact.