82 amc..need bellcrank bushings!

Old September 24th 03, 09:55 PM
BllFs6

Default 82 amc..need bellcrank bushings!

Hi all....

In desperate need of simple but hard to find parts.....

I have a 1982 AMC Spirit, 6 cylinder, manual trans, with ac....

and if it helps I think this is basically a jeep engine and frame with a
different body dropped on the top of it....

Anyway, according to my factory manual.....there is an assembly called the
"bellcrank"...

it is a rod that is supported on one end by the frame/body of the car and on
the other end by the engine/trans.....

the rod is supported by spherical metal balls on each end of the rod....the
spherical ends sit/rotate in plastic (nylon?) bushings that in turn are held in
metal tubes/brackets.....

the spheres on the end of rod have a diameter of .62 inches.....the plastic
bushing the spherical rod ends sit in are .75 inch outside diameter and .75
inches long....

so i need 2 of these....."inner idler bellcrank bushing and outer idler
bellcrank bushing"......

for reference...the bellcrank assembly is what converts clutch pedal movement
to the lever that sticks outa the transmissions that engages the clutch
pressure plate release mechanism....

anybody have a good source for this kinda part or a good amc/jeep
website/chatroom.....or how i can rig something at home that will work from
locally obtainable parts, maybe even rigged from local hardware store parts?

or perhaps another name for these parts that will improve my internet
searching?

thanks a million!

Bill
Old September 30th 03, 02:25 PM
BllFs6

Hi guys...

thanks for the pointers and info

I ended up just making new bushings by doing alot of filing and soldering on
some brass from the local hardware store...

It took all of saturday to do it. It was kinda tricky soldering one end of a 1
inch long bushing while keeping the already soldered part on the the other end
from melting/falling apart AND not burning a rubber boot only 2 inches away in
the other direction!

But it got done and looks pretty good if I say so myself

take care all

Bll