How to lift my wrangler

Old November 28th 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default How to lift my wrangler

I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler and I want To Lift it for mudding and off
road use does any body have any suggestions on how i should lift it.

Old November 28th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

two choices... suspension lift or body lift I would suggest doing a
search and some reading to learn the pros & cons of each and then maybe
come back with some additional questions after reading up a bit. There
are hundreds of different kits and ways to lift a vehicle these days.

Personally I would suggest a suspension lift, but you haven't told us
what size tires you want to run, how much you want to lift it, how much
you want to spend, etc....

Old November 28th 05, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you're going to be wheeling with it and you want to lift it more than a
couple of inches, you should go with a suspension lift. It will deliver
better offroad performance and handling. One of the most reliable lift kits
out there that will not break the bank is BDS. A step down in price is
Rough Country. They are both good quality lifts, and its pretty hard to
beat BDS' lifetime warrantee.

If you're only lifting it an inch or two, then you could go with a body lift
or shackle lift instead and save quite a bit of money.

NT

oups.com...

Old November 28th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What kind of trails will it see? For my Canadian Bush road running,
33's work nice. Mine is also a daily driver.

On a YJ you are looking at new springs. How much lift is in them is
determined by how large you need to go on tires to run your trails.

You can safely go 1" higher on the body to add some tire clearance and
if needed a 1" engine lift to compensate for driveshaft angles, but
steer clear of long shackle lifts. They throw the steering geometry out
to easily so it can turn into something you have to trailer to the trail
head, rather than be street safe.

My $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old November 29th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

SOA. 'Nuff said.

Carl

oups.com...

Old November 30th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I got it for muddin and some trails and i want to know if a 3" body
lift with some 33" x 10" tires (or should i go bigger on the tires)
would be good setup. what is your suggestion?

Old November 30th 05, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

A three inch body lift is high enough that even the uninitiated will see
something wrong with it and think, "Why does that Jeep look so funny?" You
are going to have problems with the fan to radiator alignment and the
shifters. A suspension lift should give you more articulation and a better
ride, even in the mud.

Earle

Old November 30th 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Why do people do body lifts instead of cutting out the wheelwells and
making them larger? It doesn't increase your suspension travel any,
does it?
Am I missing something here?

Old November 30th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

That's the way Real Jeep do it:
http://www.billhughes.com/46jeep.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old November 30th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It makes room for bigger tires with a minimum of work. Or so you think,
until you realize that the fan and shroud don't match up, and the shifter is
popping out of gear. You don't have to worry about your driveshaft angle
with a body lift. There are advantages, but you are right that you don't
get more suspension travel. Not everyone needs it.

Earle