Sandblasting Frame

Old November 30th 05, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Sandblasting Frame

I going to sandblast my frame on a 93 YJ. Anyone have experience having this
done? Then the tough question of paint or liner coating. I appreciate your
thoughts. Just starting a full rebuild.

Old November 30th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wrangler frames are galvanized. You could take the zinc right off. Why?

Earle

Old November 30th 05, 05:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You could skip the sandblasting and paint it with POR-15. That way
you'd only need to degrease it and chip off any flaking material. POR
sticks to rusty metal better than it sticks to shiny metal. You should
topcoat it with another paint.

If you use POR /follow the directions exactly/ or you'll waste your
money. They aren't kidding about it curing in the can while open, about
it gluing the lid shut between sessions, or about sticking to your skin.

Old November 30th 05, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I'll second that.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old November 30th 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Me three.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 30th 05, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would think to clean up all the rust then start new. If you have a clean
frame and then do the proper job of coating or painting you will have a
great look frame rust free.

m...

Old November 30th 05, 09:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If you have rusted areas, then I fully agree, but just don't take any zinc
off.

Earle

. ..

Old November 30th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would sandblast the frame and then use POR-15. That seems to be the
best. Check out the instructions at http://por15store.com

Old November 30th 05, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

All for one and one for all

--
LooseWheel
Spray The RUSTEDNUT To Reply

Old December 1st 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Agreed. I did my frame on my truck about 5 years ago now. Although it isn't
an off-road vehicle, the POR-15 still looks the same as the day it was
applied. A very good product. If you do sandblast, don't worry about getting
every little speck of rust off of the frame. It is not critical with POR-15.
The main thing is to get all of the grease and oils off, plus any loose
scaly material, such as rust. It you treat the cleaning like you would any
other automotive paint job, your work will last a long time.

Chris

ups.com...

Early CJ frame boxed? Lee Ayrton Jeep 4 July 30th 05 09:03 PM
C3 bent frame ?? question YT Corvette 10 May 18th 05 02:59 AM
frame & body swaps andrew VW air cooled 0 April 11th 05 09:03 PM
Can a type 2 body be removed from the frame for body work? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 February 6th 05 12:49 AM
dented frame rail - problem? pws Mazda 1 October 24th 04 03:43 AM