Recommendations for new axles for FWD car please

Old April 9th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

Default Recommendations for new axles for FWD car please

Seems to me that my chioces for new CV boots /axles seem to be limited
to made in China and new or rebuilt in USA. IMO, both would be
considered questionable in quality. Who makes the best ones? Any
personal testimonials (preforably long term)?
Old April 9th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"zzyzzx" > wrote in message
> Seems to me that my chioces for new CV boots /axles seem to be limited
> to made in China and new or rebuilt in USA. IMO, both would be
> considered questionable in quality. Who makes the best ones? Any
> personal testimonials (preforably long term)?

I havent had to replace the axles on anything I intended to keep, recently.

If I were going to do it,however, I would pull the axles and take them to an
axle service in Houston that has been in business there for years (over on
the
east side near I10 E at Loop 610. I dont figure they would have been in
business so long if they had not been on the ball.

My second choice would be a NAPA unit, since NAPA also has a good
reputation and usually stands behind what they sell.

I know this is no sort of good answer, but it is what I would do.

Old April 9th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 9, 10:34*am, zzyzzx > wrote:
> Seems to me that my chioces for new CV boots /axles seem to be limited
> to made in China and new or rebuilt in USA. *IMO, both would be
> considered questionable in quality. *Who makes the best ones? *Any
> personal testimonials (preforably long term)?

If it's a German car, look for genuine GKN or Lobro parts. I suspect
that's not what you're asking about however, so I would try a quality
parts store like NAPA, Carquest, or a good independent; not Pep Boys,
Advance, etc.

nate
Old April 9th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

> If it's a German car, look for genuine GKN or Lobro parts. *I suspect
> that's not what you're asking about however, so I would try a quality
> parts store like NAPA, Carquest, or a good independent; not Pep Boys,
> Advance, etc.

It's not a German car, it's a vintage Escort. Anyway, but they all
seem to carry Cardone, even NAPA. If they all carry Cardone, why
would I go to NAPA to get it when Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance Auto, etc
carries the same thing and has better hours. But for the most part
I'd agree. Only difference is that NAPA carries Altron Group stuff,
but it's still Chinese. The guy at the NAPA parts counter says that
they don't get many returns for any of them, even the rebuilt ones.
Old April 9th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
idbwill

On Apr 9, 1:56*pm, zzyzzx > wrote:
> > If it's a German car, look for genuine GKN or Lobro parts. *I suspect
> > that's not what you're asking about however, so I would try a quality
> > parts store like NAPA, Carquest, or a good independent; not Pep Boys,
> > Advance, etc.

> It's not a German car, it's a vintage Escort. *Anyway, but they all
> seem to carry Cardone, even NAPA. *If they all carry Cardone, why
> would I go to NAPA to get it when Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance Auto, etc
> carries the same thing and has better hours. *But for the most part
> I'd agree. *Only difference is that NAPA carries Altron Group stuff,
> but it's still Chinese. *The guy at the NAPA parts counter says that
> they don't get many returns for any of them, even the rebuilt ones.

Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance Auto are fine, and their not very expensive.
Seems to me the last one I got from Adv for an Escort was 65 to 70
bucks. Take your old one in with you and you won't be charged a core
charge.
Old April 9th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

idbwill > wrote in news:a63e11d6-5fef-4045-a9c8-
:

> On Apr 9, 1:56*pm, zzyzzx > wrote:
>> > If it's a German car, look for genuine GKN or Lobro parts. *I

suspect
>> > that's not what you're asking about however, so I would try a

quality
>> > parts store like NAPA, Carquest, or a good independent; not Pep

Boys,
>> > Advance, etc.

>> It's not a German car, it's a vintage Escort. *Anyway, but they all
>> seem to carry Cardone, even NAPA. *If they all carry Cardone, why
>> would I go to NAPA to get it when Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance Auto, etc
>> carries the same thing and has better hours. *But for the most part
>> I'd agree. *Only difference is that NAPA carries Altron Group stuff,
>> but it's still Chinese. *The guy at the NAPA parts counter says that
>> they don't get many returns for any of them, even the rebuilt ones.

> Autozone/Pep Boys/Advance Auto are fine, and their not very expensive.
> Seems to me the last one I got from Adv for an Escort was 65 to 70
> bucks. Take your old one in with you and you won't be charged a core
> charge.

I never turn in a core untill the replacement is in and working ok.
Too much room for error and no way to check against the orgional if
gone. KB

--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them
The 2nd Admendment guarantees the others
Old April 10th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Kevin" > wrote in message

> I never turn in a core untill the replacement is in and working ok.
> Too much room for error and no way to check against the orgional if
> gone. KB
>
> --
> THUNDERSNAKE #9

Probably a good policy.. Son replaced one on his car, and had it come undone
on the LA freeway. Turns out there were several variants on that Honda, and
he
just got the wrong ( but apparently very close) variant.

Old April 10th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
idbwill

On Apr 9, 7:43*pm, "HLS" > wrote:
> "Kevin" > wrote in message
>
> > * I never turn in a core untill the replacement is in and working ok.
> > Too *much room for error and no way to check against the orgional if
> > gone. *KB

> > --
> > THUNDERSNAKE #9

> Probably a good policy.. Son replaced one on his car, and had it come undone
> on the LA freeway. *Turns out there were several variants on that Honda, and
> he
> just got the wrong ( but apparently very close) variant.

Possda match it up before putting it in. I like to have them out to
match it, when parts people deliver it. Even if I run over to pick it
up, it's better to have it with me to match it. That way I don't get
back, open the box and say, o ****, why wasn't I smart enough to check
it when I was there. And, no core charge! In this state, tax is put on
a core. The tax is "not" returned with the core charge. Add that up
over a year!
Old April 10th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"idbwill" > wrote in message news:835e8feb-8b17-4b8e-ad71-
Possda match it up before putting it in. I like to have them out to
match it, when parts people deliver it. Even if I run over to pick it
up, it's better to have it with me to match it. That way I don't get
back, open the box and say, o ****, why wasn't I smart enough to check
it when I was there. And, no core charge! In this state, tax is put on
a core. The tax is "not" returned with the core charge. Add that up
over a year!

I think tax is always reimbursed here in Texas. We are a pretty fair state.
Son is in California. Who knows what they do.

I dont know whether he didnt match the axles, or whether the difference
was apparently insignificant.. He rows his own boat, sometimes near
icebergs.

Old April 10th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The core charge is a refund the parts store chooses to give to you, it
is not a discounted price, you will never find anyone who gives tax
back.

I sell car parts for a living.

Chinese parts are cheaper due to cheap labor, not due to poor
craftsmanship.

As mentioned, Honda CV's have several variants with little or no way
to decide which one is the next one.

Also as mentioned, either bring the core to match it up, or wait until
the job is done to return the core. In my experience, remanufactured
anything is less reliable, especially CV's, alternators, etc, reuse
the old housing, and just replace the electronics, thus the lower
price and the higher reliability (Nastra, for instance, has a lifetime
warranty on all new and reman parts"

Cirrus CV axles [email protected] Chrysler 5 February 22nd 07 01:54 AM
AWA [OFFER] AXLES [email protected] General 0 June 4th 06 03:51 PM
Axles and Vins Carl Jeep 6 April 12th 06 10:29 PM
Synthetic gear oils for trans, transfer and axles recommendations needed SB Jeep 2 May 26th 05 06:10 PM
Cherokee axles in a CJ? Greg Jeep 0 April 25th 05 04:25 AM