1997 523 eu model OBD2 connector

Old February 2nd 08, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Stephen Radford

Default 1997 523 eu model OBD2 connector

Can anyone tell me the location of the OBD2 connector / interface on a
1997 523 UK model BMW.
Stephen
Old February 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"Stephen Radford" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the location of the OBD2 connector / interface on a
> 1997 523 UK model BMW.

Under the bonnet L/h side.
Forward and slightly to the left of the box with a '+' on the top, and
almost next to the suspension turret. Large round screw cap retained by a
central plastic lead.
Mike.

Old February 2nd 08, 08:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JB[_2_]

"Mike G" > wrote in message

> "Stephen Radford" > wrote in message
>> Can anyone tell me the location of the OBD2 connector / interface on a
>> 1997 523 UK model BMW.

> Under the bonnet L/h side.
> Forward and slightly to the left of the box with a '+' on the top, and
> almost next to the suspension turret. Large round screw cap retained by a
> central plastic lead.

Only problem it's not strictly OBD2 compliant and I've only ever seen
Carsoft and one other Russian homebrew program talk to the ECU apart from
BMW's own diags software. Same with the later E36s too.

JB

Old February 2nd 08, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"JB" > wrote in message

> "Mike G" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Stephen Radford" > wrote in message
>>> Can anyone tell me the location of the OBD2 connector / interface on a
>>> 1997 523 UK model BMW.

>> Under the bonnet L/h side.
>> Forward and slightly to the left of the box with a '+' on the top, and
>> almost next to the suspension turret. Large round screw cap retained by a
>> central plastic lead.

> Only problem it's not strictly OBD2 compliant and I've only ever seen
> Carsoft and one other Russian homebrew program talk to the ECU apart from
> BMW's own diags software. Same with the later E36s too.

You're probably right.
My mistake. The position I gave was for an E34, but 523 makes it an E39, in
which case the OBD connector has a similar round screw top, but is on the
right hand side, near the fillers for the w/screen washer reservoirs.
AFAIK on the E39 they are OBD2 compliant.
Mike.

OBD2 eader Trefor Ford Explorer 12 October 8th 05 04:47 PM
Where is the OBD2 connector in a 2004 Mustang? Dan Ford Mustang 2 September 15th 05 04:20 AM
best model year 1997-2000? David J Burns Ford Explorer 13 April 14th 05 03:51 PM
Obd2 scapa Honda 0 January 24th 05 05:48 AM
bmw obd2 compatability Jon BMW 1 November 7th 04 01:05 AM