Breaking in a new car

Old July 5th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Breaking in a new car

Awl--

07 Honda Fit--yeah, I know, it's only 1/2 a car....
Indeed, as short as an Echo!
4 cyl, 1500 cc, about 110 hp, sposedly almost 35 mpg (Consumer Report)

I ask because the initial mpg's are awful, between 20-25, mebbe better now,
w/ 500 mi. on it.
Is that normal?

I've heard to rev the engine hard, etc.

At what point do you start doing this?
And how hard, what rpm, for how long, etc? Would like as much detail as
possible.

When is a small 4 cyl broken in?
When do the mpg's get up to where they're sposed to be?

How bout 6 cy/8 cyl engines?
If different break-in procedure, why?
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Old July 5th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:27:15 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
> wrote:

>Awl--
>
>07 Honda Fit--yeah, I know, it's only 1/2 a car....
>Indeed, as short as an Echo!
>4 cyl, 1500 cc, about 110 hp, sposedly almost 35 mpg (Consumer Report)
>
>I ask because the initial mpg's are awful, between 20-25, mebbe better now,
>w/ 500 mi. on it.
>Is that normal?
>
>I've heard to rev the engine hard, etc.
>
>At what point do you start doing this?
>And how hard, what rpm, for how long, etc? Would like as much detail as
>possible.
>
>When is a small 4 cyl broken in?
>When do the mpg's get up to where they're sposed to be?
>
>How bout 6 cy/8 cyl engines?
>If different break-in procedure, why?

AFAIK, new cars don't need to be *broken in* anymore. Just get in it
and go.

Lg

Old July 5th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

There's no special break-in procedure. But the engine WILL break itself
in over time, and mileage will improve. Brand new engines have terrible
combustion gas leakage past the rings until the rings "seat" to the
cylinder wall. I've had cars where the mileage improved drastically in
the first 2000 miles or so, and then continued to improve more slowly
over another 15000 miles or so.