Single stage paint

Old July 3rd 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_5_]

Default Single stage paint

I wouldn't ask but going crazy searching the subject.

I've seen all sorts of opinions on various paints, good and bad or both on
each paint.

So, what is a good paint, single stage urethane (or
polyurethane?--difference?), black, quick drying, foregiving and paint cost
is not an issue (but don't want to overpay).

I just have an old Isuzu truck that's ready for paint...I'm pretty good with
my HVLP gun.. it will be my first time.

(I have some spare parts to practice on first).

I've seen everything from the paint on Ebay to PPG, Dupont, Kirker, Sherwin
Williams? (they're close to me).

I'd like some folks to just tell me what to buy and I'm out the door to do
it.

Thanks.

(By the way, I haven't seen much on Sherwin Williams paints on
google....stay away?).

Old July 3rd 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Johnstone

Michael wrote:
> I wouldn't ask but going crazy searching the subject.
>
> I've seen all sorts of opinions on various paints, good and bad or both on
> each paint.
>
> So, what is a good paint, single stage urethane (or
> polyurethane?--difference?), black, quick drying, foregiving and paint cost
> is not an issue (but don't want to overpay).
>
> I just have an old Isuzu truck that's ready for paint...I'm pretty good with
> my HVLP gun.. it will be my first time.
>
> (I have some spare parts to practice on first).
>
> I've seen everything from the paint on Ebay to PPG, Dupont, Kirker, Sherwin
> Williams? (they're close to me).
>
> I'd like some folks to just tell me what to buy and I'm out the door to do
> it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (By the way, I haven't seen much on Sherwin Williams paints on
> google....stay away?).

Find a PPG dealer and get their Omni product. It's good, cheap and easy
to apply
Old July 4th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael[_5_]

Omni it is.

The Omni AU?

From everything I've read urethane is a more advanced product than acrylic
enamel?

Would you know of a good online distributor by chance? Don't see a
disttributors list on the ppg site...but shouldn't be a problem finding it.

Do you add hardener?......what ratio worked best for you?

Thanks Bob.

Old July 4th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Johnstone

Michael wrote:
> Omni it is.
>
> The Omni AU?
>
> From everything I've read urethane is a more advanced product than acrylic
> enamel?
>
> Would you know of a good online distributor by chance? Don't see a
> disttributors list on the ppg site...but shouldn't be a problem finding it.
>
> Do you add hardener?......what ratio worked best for you?
>
> Thanks Bob.

email me offline..
Old July 4th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Michael > wrote in article
>.. .
> I wouldn't ask but going crazy searching the subject.
>
> I've seen all sorts of opinions on various paints, good and bad or both

on
> each paint.
>
> So, what is a good paint, single stage urethane (or
> polyurethane?--difference?), black, quick drying, foregiving and paint

cost
> is not an issue (but don't want to overpay).
>
> I just have an old Isuzu truck that's ready for paint...I'm pretty good

with
> my HVLP gun.. it will be my first time.
>
> (I have some spare parts to practice on first).
>
> I've seen everything from the paint on Ebay to PPG, Dupont, Kirker,

Sherwin
> Williams? (they're close to me).
>
> I'd like some folks to just tell me what to buy and I'm out the door to

do
> it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (By the way, I haven't seen much on Sherwin Williams paints on
> google....stay away?).

NAPA has a Commercial Coatings paint to which hardener may be added - or
not.

I've also heard that Tractor Supply has a line of universal paint.

Sherwin WIlliams stores also have a universal paint available.

I've painted oval-track race cars with Rustoleum and come up with great
50/50* paint jobs

*50/50 = 50 miles-per-hour from 50 feet away.