74 350 Camaro

Old June 30th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 74 350 Camaro

I just bought a 74 Camaro and it's back firing horible when it's idled
up. I've been told; "timing,s-plugs, wires, points, and it needs ahigh
rise intake since it has a new 650 edelbrock on it". I'm going through
the electrical side of things. It has new alternator, plug wires,
points, plugs, & distributor cap. I drove it back home from San Diago
CA to St. Louis, MO. I had to tweak the timing to make it through the
mountins in Vail/Denver. Any ideas?

Old June 30th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MCL

First off a CA Camaro, Nice. Needs a high rise? High rise will improve
performance if it is needed. Will not do anything for driveability. Start
with the basics, plugs,points, cap, rotor & wires.Set your timing. Check
that both mechanical & vacuum advance are functioning properly. Backfire is
typically a timing issue. A miss on the otherhand could be an ignition
problem. If a basic tuneup doesn't solve the problem, pull the valve covers
and look at the valve train. Rocker arms, rocker studs, pushrods. Good Luck.
oups.com...

Old June 30th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

did you check the compression on all cylinders? if all cylinders are
low its the timing chain.

Old July 1st 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jun 30, 12:39 pm, wrote:
> did you check the compression on all cylinders? if all cylinders are
> low its the timing chain.

Really?!?! Can't be the cam?!?! Can't be the valve adjustment?!?!
Can't be the lifters?!?! Can't be push rods?!?! Can't be the
rings?!?!? Can't be the rockers?!?! Can't be the rocker balls?!?!
Can't be the rocker studs?!?! (stock ones push out of the heads) Can't
be the bore?!?! Can't be...

Old July 1st 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jun 30, 7:25 pm, dahpater > wrote:
> On Jun 30, 12:39 pm, wrote:
>
> > did you check the compression on all cylinders? if all cylinders are
> > low its the timing chain.

> Really?!?! Can't be the cam?!?! Can't be the valve adjustment?!?!
> Can't be the lifters?!?! Can't be push rods?!?! Can't be the
> rings?!?!? Can't be the rockers?!?! Can't be the rocker balls?!?!
> Can't be the rocker studs?!?! (stock ones push out of the heads) Can't
> be the bore?!?! Can't be...

there are some clues there that the timing chain has jumped. its a
1974 so its old maybe by now the timing chain is stretched and it has
even jumped a cog. he had to adjust the timing to get through the
mountains. If the valves are not opening and closing in sync with with
the pistons going up and down it may or may not help to adjust the
timing. i think the confirming test is to check the compression. if
they are even and low the timing chain has jumped. if some are good
then its not the timing chain. It takes all day to replace the timing
chain (and of course you will also replace the gears)
so you want to make sure before you tear it apart.

Old July 1st 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

If the engine backfires, the timing is off. If the spark timing is okay,
the valve timing is not. You've played with the spark timing, now it's
time to check the valves.

Might be good first to pull the chain cover and make sure it's lined up
nicely. I might want to do a compression test before anything else,
though. I _hope_ you did a compression test before buying, though.
--scott

1969 Camaro - fvl Padraig Auto Photos 0 March 31st 07 11:31 PM
96 camaro z28 AC your creator Technology 27 July 10th 06 10:30 PM
IRS on a camaro. j Corvette 3 October 27th 05 07:15 AM
90 camaro rs 3.1L V-6 [email protected] Technology 0 June 18th 05 09:14 PM
96 Camaro getting hot Gary Kuhlen Technology 3 February 7th 05 04:57 AM