New spark plugs on the market.

Old June 29th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default New spark plugs on the market.

I bought my 1978 Dodge van in 1989.Of course the AC wasen't working,
later on I got it working but it kept on leaking so much I just let it
go.No more driving than I do anymore I just can't see pouring a lot of
money into that AC.I have a 12 volt electric fan I mounted on a piece of
plywood so I can sit the fan on the doghouse and I plug the fan in the
cigarette lighter and I turn it on when I am driving in hot weather, it
works for me.Besides, almost all of my driving nowadays is to the Wal
Mart (food department) store, a round trip distance of three miles once
a week or so.
cuhulin

Old June 29th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> clifto > wrote:
>> aarcuda69062 wrote:

>> > Explain their options and the cost of those options.

>> What might those options be?

> 1) Dispose of vehicle in favor of one with a functioning AC
> system that has not been contaminated/ butchered.
>
> 2) Replace every AC component, add proper oil charge, evacuate,
> recharge with proper refrigerant.

Which brings us around to the original question again: how would a
reputable servicer handle this, i.e. evacuate the system? It could ruin
a recovery station, and it can't be vented to atmosphere.

I know, a slightly less reputable servicer might, ah, find a slow leak
around an O-ring or fitting somewhere and tell the customer to come back
in a week. But the question is about a reputable servicer.

--
We can't possibly imprison 300 million Americans for not paying their
taxes, so let's grant all of them amnesty NOW!
Old June 29th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

John S. wrote:
> On Jun 28, 12:56 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> John S. > wrote:
>>
>> >Summertime with it's inevitable high gas prices brings out ever more
>> >miraculous ways to enhance gasoline MPG. I've also read about a
>> >gimmick multi-electrode sparkplug that supposedly improves power and
>> >milage at the same time. People are shelling out $9.00 per plug!!

>> The best way to improve mileage and overall vehicle performance is to
>> hide the car keys from your teenager.
>> --scott

> Heh...
>
> Fortunately mine are gown and gone...no more teenager car problems!!!!

My teenagers never ever asked me about driving, never wanted to borrow
the car, etc.

Their successors are only teenagers in adjusted cat years.

Old June 30th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
clifto > wrote:

> >> What might those options be?

> > 1) Dispose of vehicle in favor of one with a functioning AC
> > system that has not been contaminated/ butchered.
> >
> > 2) Replace every AC component, add proper oil charge, evacuate,
> > recharge with proper refrigerant.

> Which brings us around to the original question again: how would a
> reputable servicer handle this, i.e. evacuate the system? It could ruin
> a recovery station, and it can't be vented to atmosphere.

A shop doing AC service can install a device called a
"Removinator" on the hoses to their recovery machine. The
Removinator will catch the sealer before it can damage the
machine.

Old June 30th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 30, 12:33 am, aarcuda69062 > wrote:

> > > 1) Dispose of vehicle in favor of one with a functioning AC
> > > system that has not been contaminated/ butchered.

> > > 2) Replace every AC component, add proper oil charge, evacuate,
> > > recharge with proper refrigerant.

> > Which brings us around to the original question again: how would a
> > reputable servicer handle this, i.e. evacuate the system? It could ruin
> > a recovery station, and it can't be vented to atmosphere.

> A shop doing AC service can install a device called a
> "Removinator" on the hoses to their recovery machine. The
> Removinator will catch the sealer before it can damage the
> machine.

I bet some people will think you are joking due to the silly name of
the product, but it does exist. Removinator is one brand of sealer
trap but there are others.

Of course, anyone who uses A/C sealer is likely prone to using
alternate refrigerants which will dilute and contaminate your recovery
cylinder during the recovery process. I guess you can technically
release hydrocarbon products to atmosphere legally, so it's no big
deal.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 1st 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
. com>,
Comboverfish > wrote:

> > A shop doing AC service can install a device called a
> > "Removinator" on the hoses to their recovery machine. The
> > Removinator will catch the sealer before it can damage the
> > machine.

> I bet some people will think you are joking due to the silly name of
> the product, but it does exist. Removinator is one brand of sealer
> trap but there are others.

Yup, "Removinator" was the name that came to mind..

> Of course, anyone who uses A/C sealer is likely prone to using
> alternate refrigerants which will dilute and contaminate your recovery
> cylinder during the recovery process.

Should have been caught by the refrigerant identifier.

> I guess you can technically
> release hydrocarbon products to atmosphere legally, so it's no big
> deal.

Actually, no. Once any refrigerant is installed in a motor
vehicle, it falls under section 609 and has to be recovered.
If you used peanut butter and jelly, it would have to be
recovered by law...
Old July 1st 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jun 30, 10:18 pm, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> In article
> . com>,
>
> Comboverfish > wrote:
> > > A shop doing AC service can install a device called a
> > > "Removinator" on the hoses to their recovery machine. The
> > > Removinator will catch the sealer before it can damage the
> > > machine.

> > I bet some people will think you are joking due to the silly name of
> > the product, but it does exist. Removinator is one brand of sealer
> > trap but there are others.

> Yup, "Removinator" was the name that came to mind..
>
> > Of course, anyone who uses A/C sealer is likely prone to using
> > alternate refrigerants which will dilute and contaminate your recovery
> > cylinder during the recovery process.

> Should have been caught by the refrigerant identifier.

Right, I'm just saying -- what do you do if you can't *use* the A/C
machine to recover the alternate product for fear of contamination?
Do you have a spare "waste" cylinder for such purposes? I have not
run across the situation as of yet.

> > I guess you can technically
> > release hydrocarbon products to atmosphere legally, so it's no big
> > deal.

> Actually, no. Once any refrigerant is installed in a motor
> vehicle, it falls under section 609 and has to be recovered.
> If you used peanut butter and jelly, it would have to be
> recovered by law...

That's good to know... nice example, too. I need to look into some
refresher reading to update that recovery class so many moons ago.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 1st 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
.com>,
Comboverfish > wrote:

> On Jun 30, 10:18 pm, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> > In article
> > . com>,

> > > I bet some people will think you are joking due to the silly name of
> > > the product, but it does exist. Removinator is one brand of sealer
> > > trap but there are others.

> > Yup, "Removinator" was the name that came to mind..
> >
> > > Of course, anyone who uses A/C sealer is likely prone to using
> > > alternate refrigerants which will dilute and contaminate your recovery
> > > cylinder during the recovery process.

> > Should have been caught by the refrigerant identifier.

> Right, I'm just saying -- what do you do if you can't *use* the A/C
> machine to recover the alternate product for fear of contamination?
> Do you have a spare "waste" cylinder for such purposes? I have not
> run across the situation as of yet.

Nor have I. We had been fortunate in Wisconsin having some of
the most restrictive laws in the country. Regulation at the
level comparable to doctors dispensing pain medication... keeps
things nice and clean.
I know from my readings on i-ATN that there are AC techs that do
have separate recovery cylinders for contaminated refrigerant, I
also know that there are facilities (even around here) that are
equipped to dispose of contaminated refrigerant in a safe and
legal manner. Naturally, this is a market niche that commands a
premium price which is passed on to the consumer and hopefully
negates any "savings" that my have attempted to achieve.

Last summer the state experimented with allowing small quantities
of refrigerants to be sold over the counter (since sun setted)
this -act- prompted me to purchase the necessary defenses to
protect my equipment, extra steps, extra costs, all born by the
consumer.

> > > I guess you can technically
> > > release hydrocarbon products to atmosphere legally, so it's no big
> > > deal.

> > Actually, no. Once any refrigerant is installed in a motor
> > vehicle, it falls under section 609 and has to be recovered.
> > If you used peanut butter and jelly, it would have to be
> > recovered by law...

> That's good to know... nice example, too. I need to look into some
> refresher reading to update that recovery class so many moons ago.

I should have also noted that pure Nitrogen used for leak testing
is exempt from the recovery requirement.

The above does point out the fallacy of HC refrigerants though...
Old July 1st 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jul 1, 10:34 am, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> In article
> .com>,
>

> Comboverfish > wrote:
> > On Jun 30, 10:18 pm, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
> > > In article
> > > . com>,

> > > Yup, "Removinator" was the name that came to mind..

> > > Should have been caught by the refrigerant identifier.

> > Right, I'm just saying -- what do you do if you can't *use* the A/C
> > machine to recover the alternate product for fear of contamination?
> > Do you have a spare "waste" cylinder for such purposes? I have not
> > run across the situation as of yet.

> Nor have I. We had been fortunate in Wisconsin having some of
> the most restrictive laws in the country. Regulation at the
> level comparable to doctors dispensing pain medication... keeps
> things nice and clean.
> I know from my readings on i-ATN that there are AC techs that do
> have separate recovery cylinders for contaminated refrigerant, I
> also know that there are facilities (even around here) that are
> equipped to dispose of contaminated refrigerant in a safe and
> legal manner. Naturally, this is a market niche that commands a
> premium price which is passed on to the consumer and hopefully
> negates any "savings" that my have attempted to achieve.
>
> Last summer the state experimented with allowing small quantities
> of refrigerants to be sold over the counter (since sun setted)
> this -act- prompted me to purchase the necessary defenses to
> protect my equipment, extra steps, extra costs, all born by the
> consumer.

> > > Actually, no. Once any refrigerant is installed in a motor
> > > vehicle, it falls under section 609 and has to be recovered.
> > > If you used peanut butter and jelly, it would have to be
> > > recovered by law...

> > That's good to know... nice example, too. I need to look into some
> > refresher reading to update that recovery class so many moons ago.

> I should have also noted that pure Nitrogen used for leak testing
> is exempt from the recovery requirement.
>
> The above does point out the fallacy of HC refrigerants though...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the wisdom. Now to bring the original topic back on track:
I get 45 mpg better performance on average with Bosch 5 electrode
septuple-platinum plugs that with OE. HTH,

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 2nd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

clifto > wrote:

>Which brings us around to the original question again: how would a
>reputable servicer handle this, i.e. evacuate the system? It could ruin
>a recovery station, and it can't be vented to atmosphere.
>
>I know, a slightly less reputable servicer might, ah, find a slow leak
>around an O-ring or fitting somewhere and tell the customer to come back
>in a week. But the question is about a reputable servicer.

There are filter gadgets that you can stick in the line that will scavenge
heavy gunk (like sealers and bad oil).
--scott

Spark Plugs Richard Chrysler 7 October 30th 06 03:20 PM
spark plugs? zakman via CarKB.com VW water cooled 3 March 31st 06 08:16 AM
VR6 spark plugs Get Involved VW water cooled 0 March 16th 06 08:15 PM
Oil in spark plugs bigrob4201 Honda 7 June 26th 05 05:23 AM
156 2.5 V6 Spark plugs? [email protected] Alfa Romeo 0 May 1st 04 11:11 PM