LA County: You're Stuck in a Traffic Jam Until AT LEAST 2016

Old December 4th 05, 03:31 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,la.transportation

Default LA County: You're Stuck in a Traffic Jam Until AT LEAST 2016

In article >, JohnH wrote:
> Brent P wrote:

>>> That's downright hilarious.

>> Then why are you so against letting people out of their trap?

> I just think it's a worthless cause. The clueless will remain that way, and
> people passing on the right see YOU doing 35 in the left lane, and won't
> recognize this favor your're doing for them.

I don't go that slow on the interstate unless forced to by conditions or
to avoid running into morons ahead of me.

Keep in mind I live in north east IL, a region that is still in the nixon
era NMSL. Freeing people from the clutches of an LLB requires slowing to
65mph or so.

> But keep us posted as to how well this works.

It worked just fine when I used to do it.

Old December 4th 05, 07:00 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,la.transportation

Scott en Aztlán > writes:

>I have posted here many times that I believe technology is the only
>thing that can save our transportation system. As the story that
>started this thread proves, we have neither the funds nor the
>political will to build our way out of traffic congestion. The ONLY
>way we will ever get out of this mess is to use the roads we have as
>efficiently as possible - and that means taking the control of the
>vehicles out of the hands of humans (especially Sloths and assholes).
>When the computer controls everyone's steering and throttle, suddenly
>there are no more LLBs, everybody merges perfectly, there's always a
>gap when you need one (and it immediately closes up when you don't),
>following distances are always optimal, and safety is maximized
>because all the vehicles communicate over a redundant mesh wireless
>network and KNOW when, for example, a vehicle up ahead is about to
>slow down - and they all change speed in perfect unison. I call this
>configuration a "virtual train" because the individual cars on the
>road will be "coupled" together in an optimal phalanx like railroad
>cars in a regular train. We'll have all the advantages of today's
>trains and yet maintain the complete flexibility of the personal
>automobile.

While I would like to believe that things will work out as your have
described, I suspect that the vehicle control computers you envision
will run flawed Microsoft software and the result will be even worse
than today.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Greed is to the moralists of the
, +1 714 434 7359 left what sex is to the moralists

--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Politics is the business of getting
, +1 714 434 7359 power and privilege without
Old December 4th 05, 11:59 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,la.transportation

> While I would like to believe that things will work out as your have
> described, I suspect that the vehicle control computers you envision
> will run flawed Microsoft software and the result will be even worse
> than today.
> --

Gives blue screen of death an entirely new meaning, don't it. -Dave