Lost Service Book - what can I do?

Old February 8th 05, 01:01 PM
BigBurd

Default Lost Service Book - what can I do?

I've lost my service book for my five year old 156, which I've owned
from new, and had serviced for the first 4 years at the same Alfa
Dealer. I've asked them whether they have it, and they say no (whether
they looked or not is another question). I actually suspect it's them
that lost it, but that's another matter altogether and there's no way
to prove it anyway...

I'm wondering whether I should expect the dealer that performed the
servicing to be able to replace the service book for me, stamped as
per their records of their servicing.

Does anyone have any comment on my chances in getting a replacement
service book?

I believe BMW dealers will do this, but not soo sure about other
marques, and I don't have a huge level of confidence in Arnold Clark
dealers to start with. I'd like to know whether other dealers have
done this so I can argue my case more confidently if they don't seem
too keen on the idea.

Cheers

Iain
Old February 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Catman

BigBurd wrote:

> I've lost my service book for my five year old 156, which I've owned
> from new, and had serviced for the first 4 years at the same Alfa
> Dealer. I've asked them whether they have it, and they say no (whether
> they looked or not is another question). I actually suspect it's them
> that lost it, but that's another matter altogether and there's no way
> to prove it anyway...
>
> I'm wondering whether I should expect the dealer that performed the
> servicing to be able to replace the service book for me, stamped as
> per their records of their servicing.
>
> Does anyone have any comment on my chances in getting a replacement
> service book?

I would have thought they could *at least* provide duplicate invoices, if
not a copy of the book. How much they'll charge is another matter
entirely

> I believe BMW dealers will do this, but not soo sure about other
> marques, and I don't have a huge level of confidence in Arnold Clark
> dealers to start with. I'd like to know whether other dealers have
> done this so I can argue my case more confidently if they don't seem
> too keen on the idea.
>
> Cheers
>
> Iain

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 8th 05, 05:59 PM
Mr Flipflops

"BigBurd" > wrote in message
om...
> I've lost my service book for my five year old 156, which I've owned
> from new, and had serviced for the first 4 years at the same Alfa
> Dealer. I've asked them whether they have it, and they say no (whether
> they looked or not is another question). I actually suspect it's them
> that lost it, but that's another matter altogether and there's no way
> to prove it anyway...
>
> I'm wondering whether I should expect the dealer that performed the
> servicing to be able to replace the service book for me, stamped as
> per their records of their servicing.
>
> Does anyone have any comment on my chances in getting a replacement
> service book?
>
> I believe BMW dealers will do this, but not soo sure about other
> marques, and I don't have a huge level of confidence in Arnold Clark
> dealers to start with. I'd like to know whether other dealers have
> done this so I can argue my case more confidently if they don't seem
> too keen on the idea.
>
> Cheers
>
> Iain

After I bought my 156, I called up to find out what had been done on the
previous service (it was the timing belt one). They were able to detail
exactly what had been performed (new front brakes etc). From that, I would
assume that they keep computerised records of the services you have
received, so I can imagine a print out of that would suffice if you're
planning on selling the car.

Rgds

Stuart

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
BMW service lights in the UK spammy BMW 3 September 18th 04 06:55 PM
The Batsford Colour Book of Vintage Cars - A. Harding D Hatje Antique cars 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM
4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service Brent Murphy 4x4 32 March 16th 04 06:14 AM