having a bad day

Old September 19th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_4_]

Default having a bad day

breaking news, customer gets his 2006 VW towed to shop because it will not
start! Guess what the problem is considering the engine has less than 1 qt
of oil in the pan! customer admitted he has no service records and can't
even remember when the last oil change was done! OUCH!

Old September 19th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
LG

I have seen that with a New Beetle Convertible with 1.8T, 17K miles, never
serviced.
Repair bill for that car was more than my last new car purchase

. ..

Old September 20th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:53:23 -0400, "Lost In Space/Woodchuck"
> wrote:

>breaking news, customer gets his 2006 VW towed to shop because it will not
>start! Guess what the problem is considering the engine has less than 1 qt
>of oil in the pan! customer admitted he has no service records and can't
>even remember when the last oil change was done! OUCH!

I guess we can assume the last service was in 2006, right? How many
miles did he get on it? <bg>
Old September 20th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Back in 1977/1978, I saw one engine (non-VW with pushrods) that went over
90K miles before its first oil change or tune up.
That sludge inside was unbelievable, but after a thorough clean up inside
the engine it was quiet and strong again.

So what was the verdict Lost In Space? New engine or the owner traded it
in to destroy another?
I thought that with the newer synthetic oil and oil filters that it could
last up to 24K miles or 2 years? At least in theory! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)