5w-30 or 10W-60 in an M54 @ 140 000 km now ?

Old October 25th 10, 03:26 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default 5w-30 or 10W-60 in an M54 @ 140 000 km now ?

frischmoutt > wrote:

>Reading your reply, I just realized my mistake. It was 5W-40 until mid-2009
>then it has been replaced by 5W-30.

If that is the case then you may encounter higher oil consumption at higher
temperatures but not lower ones.

You may also want to just do a basic check on engine seals too, if you
are leaking that much oil. If you have valve guide seals or VANOS seals
going bad, they will just get worse. If you have enough oil consumption
that your plugs are fouling, it's probably something you want to check
before it gets worse.

>My first attempts to find the Castrol not being successful, my idea was to
>stick with BMW homologated oils. Hence my question.

The issues in the US are all different than they are out there. Here,
most of the Castrol Syntec oils are different (and cheaper) formulations
that can't be sold as synthetic in Europe. The _exception_ is the 10W-40
which does actually meet current BMW standards. So here we have the opposite
issue, with people substituting the 10W40 for whatever was originally
specified.

Call your local Castrol automotive rep at 0 33 (0) 134 227 600 and ask
them where you can get the stuff in your town.
--scott

Old October 25th 10, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

"Scott Dorsey" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> frischmoutt > wrote:
> >
> >Reading your reply, I just realized my mistake. It was 5W-40 until

mid-2009
> >then it has been replaced by 5W-30.

> If that is the case then you may encounter higher oil consumption at

higher
> temperatures but not lower ones.
>
> You may also want to just do a basic check on engine seals too, if you
> are leaking that much oil. If you have valve guide seals or VANOS seals
> going bad, they will just get worse. If you have enough oil consumption
> that your plugs are fouling, it's probably something you want to check
> before it gets worse.
>
> >My first attempts to find the Castrol not being successful, my idea was

> >stick with BMW homologated oils. Hence my question.

> The issues in the US are all different than they are out there. Here,
> most of the Castrol Syntec oils are different (and cheaper) formulations
> that can't be sold as synthetic in Europe. The _exception_ is the 10W-40
> which does actually meet current BMW standards. So here we have the

opposite
> issue, with people substituting the 10W40 for whatever was originally
> specified.
>
> Call your local Castrol automotive rep at 0 33 (0) 134 227 600 and ask
> them where you can get the stuff in your town.
> --scott

First, thanks a lot to all who replied.

About the leaks, I'd easily agree with piston rings or valve seals going bad
but I barely understand how vanos seals, except external oil leak, which is
not the case, might be considered. May you provide a little bit more
information ?

Thanks for the phone number.

Regards

Old October 25th 10, 08:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Old November 1st 10, 02:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_10_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote
> The issues in the US are all different than they are out there. Here,
> most of the Castrol Syntec oils are different (and cheaper)
> formulations
> that can't be sold as synthetic in Europe. The _exception_ is the
> 10W-40
> which does actually meet current BMW standards. So here we have the
> opposite
> issue, with people substituting the 10W40 for whatever was originally
> specified.

Castrol Syntec 10w-40 in the US does not carry any BMW certifications,
although it does carry ACEA A3 rating, on which the BMW spec is loosely
based.

Castrol Syntec 5w-40 carries BMW LL-98 spec.
Castroly Syntec 0w-30 carries BMW LL-01 spec. Syntec 0w-30 is actually
made in Germany and is the equivalent of the European Edge 0w-30, which
means it is a different (better) formulation than all the other Syntec
grades.

Pete

Old November 1st 10, 02:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Pete[_10_]

"Scott Dorsey" wrote

Old November 1st 10, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Pete > wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" wrote
>> The issues in the US are all different than they are out there. Here,
>> most of the Castrol Syntec oils are different (and cheaper)
>> formulations
>> that can't be sold as synthetic in Europe. The _exception_ is the
>> 10W-40
>> which does actually meet current BMW standards. So here we have the
>> opposite
>> issue, with people substituting the 10W40 for whatever was originally
>> specified.

>Castrol Syntec 10w-40 in the US does not carry any BMW certifications,
>although it does carry ACEA A3 rating, on which the BMW spec is loosely
>based.
>
>Castrol Syntec 5w-40 carries BMW LL-98 spec.

You are correct. Sorry, my typo.

>Castroly Syntec 0w-30 carries BMW LL-01 spec. Syntec 0w-30 is actually
>made in Germany and is the equivalent of the European Edge 0w-30, which
>means it is a different (better) formulation than all the other Syntec
>grades.

Hmm... my FLAPS doesn't even have that stuff in their book. Is it available
from the US distributors?
--scott

Old November 1st 10, 01:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Old November 1st 10, 06:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
frischmoutt

Hello Pete, Floyd, Scott, BFD853,

I throughly read all the information that you guys provided the past days
and followed your recommendations.

I read about the breather valve on a forum (I think that it's the same as
you're speaking about), it's connected to the base of the oil gauge tube.
The guy said that he replaced it (and a procedure is provided) withourt any
major improvement. Of course it's not a reference !
For the moment I didn't consider it since the oil consumption increase
coincidates with the new oil service made with 5W-30 and the work needing to
be performed is rather consequent.
I'll do it in a second attempt if the oil consumption doesn't get back
within the rails.
I've numerous figures to compare to because I'm a kind of paranoid,
monitoring oil consumption since 0 km.

Concerning the oil, I definately abandoned the idea to use 10W-60. I did a
search on google and found several possibilities for 0W-40 & 5W-40..
Considering some facts, and as already pointed out in a previous message you
sent, I'm wondering if LL-04 is really necessary: The car has been built in
Aug. 2001, it's not a diesel, in consequence, I may assume that LL-01 grade
could be used, although today BMW specifies LL-04. LL-04 has been developped
for diesels engines and may also be used in gas engines. LL-01 satisfies
current BMW's needs. So, the reply looks to be "No".
OTOH, in 2007/2008 the BMW dealer even put 5W-40 Labo Carat and in
2008/2009, 5W-40 Castrol TXT Softec that both were LL98 specified !

Mobil-1 0W-40 looks to be a good deal, however my fear concerns the
hydraulic tappets that might get noisy until the engine is warm enough. For
an analog reason (clearances due to wearing) I also fear a loss of oil
pressure in cold.
=> Any advise please ?
I had this issue with my old E30 (180000 km), I tried all sorts of
oils/viscosities and did not manage to cure it. Not worth to replace the
tappets, I left them clicking until I sold it.

For Floyd's information, about the LL-04 oil in the US, I read that it has
some bad reaction with the ethanol and may causes problems. For this reason
BMW wouldn't recommend it outside Europe
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1422995

Best regards

Old November 1st 10, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David

> Castroly Syntec 0w-30 carries BMW LL-01 spec. Syntec 0w-30 is actually
> made in Germany and is the equivalent of the European Edge 0w-30, which
> means it is a different (better) formulation than all the other Syntec
> grades.
>
> Pete

I was told that Castrol Edge was the retail name of the bulk supplied
Castrol SLX III.

Regards

David

Real ID act to cost $11,000,000,000 Brent P[_1_] Driving 0 March 5th 07 06:44 PM
10W-60 oil availability [email protected] BMW 24 December 22nd 06 04:31 PM
10W 60 Synthetic oil [email protected] Audi 12 December 22nd 06 02:35 AM
Re M54 Troika BMW 0 May 18th 06 10:27 PM
5w-30 vs. 10w-30 thayerdog Chrysler 7 December 29th 05 01:54 AM