Need security advice for vulnerable Audi

Old March 23rd 05, 03:50 PM
marc

"Don Turner" > wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> My house was burgled and unfortunately one of the things the thieves took
> was the spare remote for my 2001 Audi A3 tdi sports. I was away with the

car
> at the time so luckily they didn't get to steal that as well. But the
> problem is that my car is now a sitting duck as someone, somewhere has the
> only other remaining key.
>
> Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do? e.g. change the locks???
>
> Cheers
> Don

take a handful of fuses and solenoids out of the
fusebox. the starter solenoid should do the trick.

PS - fuses are easier to get around as any lump
of metal will bridge the gap.

Marc

Old March 23rd 05, 05:44 PM
Hairy One Kenobi

"C.R. Krieger" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Steph wrote:
> > "Peat" > wrote in message
> > > Don Turner wrote:

> > Try a visual deterrent aswell like a steering wheel lock. Chances are

> they
> > were opportunistic, but they may know somebody....

> If somebody wants to take a car and the only thing in the way is a
> steering wheel lock, it *will* get stolen. It takes about 30 seconds
> to saw through the steering wheel to get the (unbreakable) lock off.
> Check ebay for current prices of replacement steering wheels and decide
> for yourself whether it's economically viable.

Don't forget the immobiliser (compulsory over here for a fair number of
years)

It's fairly common now for thieves to break-in to a house specifically to
get car keys. Common enough that many car insurance policies explicitly
exclude payment if your car it stolen using its own key.

Came face to face with two kids trying to do that to me, a week and a half
ago - blind luck that I was at home at the time. Still sorting out the
details for the identity parade.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Old March 23rd 05, 06:28 PM
Steve Walker

In message >, Hairy One
Kenobi ]> writes

>It's fairly common now for thieves to break-in to a house specifically to
>get car keys. Common enough that many car insurance policies explicitly
>exclude payment if your car it stolen using its own key.
>
>Came face to face with two kids trying to do that to me, a week and a half
>ago -

BTDT. They kicked in the front door of my mum's house at 3am when we
were visiting one weekend. Subtle they're not.

>blind luck that I was at home at the time. Still sorting out the
>details for the identity parade.

Crikey, the police have got someone for it? We just got an incident
number and the expectation that they would get away with it.

--
Steve Walker
Old March 24th 05, 03:34 AM
Depresion

"radar" > wrote in message
.uk...
> just claim on your house insurance !!
> they will cover new locks and de-programmeing any old keys

That's the theory but I remember a long battle a couple of years back at a
brokers where I do some tech support where the insurance company said they
wouldn't pay for new locks to be fitted but if the thieves came back and took
his new AMG they would pay to replace that, there must be logic in there but I
still fail to see it.

Old March 25th 05, 12:56 PM
Hairy One Kenobi

"Steve Walker" > wrote in message
> In message >, Hairy One
> Kenobi ]> writes
>
> >It's fairly common now for thieves to break-in to a house specifically to
> >get car keys. Common enough that many car insurance policies explicitly
> >exclude payment if your car it stolen using its own key.
> >
> >Came face to face with two kids trying to do that to me, a week and a

half
> >ago -

> BTDT. They kicked in the front door of my mum's house at 3am when we
> were visiting one weekend. Subtle they're not.
>
> >blind luck that I was at home at the time. Still sorting out the
> >details for the identity parade.

> Crikey, the police have got someone for it? We just got an incident
> number and the expectation that they would get away with it.

They knew who it was.. they even have a case sitting at the CPS from someone
else, same circumstances.

Figures.

H1K

Leased A Lemon Audi A6? Richard Periut Audi 0 February 1st 05 02:59 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 08:28 AM
Audi 100 Headlight advice Stephen Clark Audi 1 October 5th 04 03:01 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM
2001 Audi A6...Buying Advice Z Audi 2 July 16th 04 04:04 PM